Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-18-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
Does anyone have a problem with this. Sometimes it seems like a few of the people I ride with wanna party so much that it begins to cut into alot of riding time. Sometimes I just like to chill out and ride most of the day, ya kno??
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-18-2004, 5:27 PM Reply   
word. Get yourself a circle of friends who are more about riding than partying. They're out there.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-18-2004, 5:59 PM Reply   
Jim i agree there are a lot of people out there who buy a sweet pimped out wakeboard boat and then put 3 cases of beer on board in the morning to go ride and are drunk by noon..they seem to be in it for more of the social scene the the true essence of wakeboarding...I like to hang out like the rest of them but the actual water time is way more important then the social scene for me..

your right i am seeing a lot of that ,more then before...
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-18-2004, 7:52 PM Reply   
GEEK!!
Old    belmont316            05-18-2004, 7:57 PM Reply   
i say party and ride. i just mastered the tantrum-to-chug-with-trailing-hand. its fat.
Old    beerdrnknboardr            05-18-2004, 9:01 PM Reply   
Well when i was like 16 or 17 and started riding a bit we would be getting up at about the break of dawn and ride till everybody was tired, go back and nap, try to ride or tube or whatever depending on conditions mid day, then in the eve we would ride till well past legal. By the time most of the crew, including myself, turned 18 it became hard to even get people up for a 830-9 am run and when we do finally go out there were defiantly drinks and whatnot on board. Although its got better in the last year or so. I mean we still party pretty hard, but we've been tryin to ride just as hard or harder. I'd say just make sure you got one other person who wants to ride so you can pull them and they can pull you and let the rest of em drink if thats what they wanna do
Old    tribal            05-19-2004, 7:05 AM Reply   
Yeah it drives me nut's around here.There's no such thing as cops in the lakes around here so everybody else I know out on the water is all about the booze cruise.My crew's mellow the party normally starts after the riding's done[rules do get broken sometimes] but some of the other boats on the lake can get pretty sketchy.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-19-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
I know some folks who have brand new boats and can't even ride. Well it's mainly because all they do is find where the party is and never strap on a board. As for my boat, we ride all day.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-19-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
So what if someone has a brand new SAN or XStar and can't even ride or prefers to drink more than they ride...it's THEIR boat and they can do with it whatever they please. Maybe they just like the look of the boats and bought one??

You guys get too worked up over stuff like this.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 9:27 AM Reply   
Board on the weekends until the water is trashed, usually about 9:30a.m., then hang out with a few drinks, head in before the true amateur drunks show up. I could care less if someone buys a wakeboard specific boat, as bad as I board, I should not have one.I should get my slalom stick back and a direct drive. Freedom rocks.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-19-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
Zack Maybe it does bug me a little, especially on the delta when folks want to get drunk then think its cool to drive afterwards. 2-3 weeks ago new MC was at union point, well they had been drinking their arse off and then took off. Well while departure they almost hit the bridge then cut a boat off making the turn from the east slough in victoria to head back west. Their boarder had to fall or would have been creamed. But yes its ok what they do in "THEIR" boat huh.

(Message edited by ridn9high on May 19, 2004)
Old    norcal_99            05-19-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
Jim, Sorry to hear you're problem, but to be honest, until you have your own boat the only control you'll have over the situation is choosing which boat you climb aboard in the morning, the booze cruise or the one more into riding.

I hope you find your peace.

Bill, You should see the wake when I put 3 cases of beer in my X-Star. It's HUGE.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-19-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
Hah. I run into that problem with some of my buddys who ride. All they want to do is drink beer on the water. I mean at least ride as much as you can untill you are tired and then break out the cold ones :-) As far as going with people who do that, like Rene said unless you are the boat owner they will probably get offended if you said something like "Hey let's ride instead of party".
Old    handyman            05-19-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
Ride and party man. Drinking in the boat is the same as the car. Just be careful, drink and ride to have fun with your crew. When we go out we have 2 ppl that do not drink at all so one of those two get to do the driving if I start to have a few. It's the safest way and everybody still has a blast.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-19-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
Mike I am certainly NOT condoning driving a boat drunk esp. in a place where there's lots of traffic and you have the opportunity to hurt or kill someone.

The original point of the post was about people who bought "pimped out" wakeboard boats and then either didn't ride at all or preferred to drink more than ride. If that's what someone who makes the payments prefers to do then more power to them.

I prefer to do both. There are days when I'd rather ride all day and might only have a drink or two because I'm working on a new trick and there are days when I'd rather just hit the lake, jam the stereo, drink frosty beverages and look at boobies? Does that make me any less serious of a rider?

(Message edited by Raider40 on May 19, 2004)
Old     (d_o_double_g)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-19-2004, 11:16 AM Reply   
Yes Zack, that is exactly what it makes you... a slacker, a drunk, easily mesmerized by the boobies. You should honestly evaluate what is important in your life and get your priorities straight.
Old    norcal_99            05-19-2004, 1:53 PM Reply   
"easily mesmerized by the boobies." -

They got some BIG boobies in Texas, but then again everything's bigger in Texas.
Old    tcboarder            05-19-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
drinkin a lil and ridng is one thing, but for me its not to bad, cuz after a few beers my old rinker starts to not look so bad anymore, if we just wanna chill it dont matter cuz the payments are long gone wit my old boat, lol, even though riding beats gettin drink mosta the time
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
Hell, if ability to ride had something to do with what boat you could purchase, they would have stopped me at the front door.

One of the first things my wife said when looking at the new boat and leaving her Cobalt behind... "The cooler sucks!"

E.J.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2004, 2:51 PM Reply   
HeHeHe you said "Boobies"

"I prefer to do both. There are days when I'd rather ride all day and might only have a drink or two because I'm working on a new trick and there are days when I'd rather just hit the lake, jam the stereo, drink frosty beverages and look at boobies? Does that make me any less serious of a rider?"

Well said, my thoughts exactly!
Old    orgborn            05-20-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
My take on it so far has been the drunker everyone gets the more broke. People lose their respect for the boat.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
I don't know, maybe it is because I am relatively old and thus so are the people I hang with. But we don't turn into idiots when we drink. The amount of respect for my boat does not correlate with the number of beers friends or I may consume.

E.J.

P.S. Mike, that is one of the best looking X-2's I have ever seen.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-20-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
My crew and I like to take out the pontoon and the speed boat. That way we can get ready on the pontoon drink a few and chill while we watch the guy before us go! then when its your turn the boat swings by the pontoon tosses ya the rope and off you go!!!
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-20-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
Sometimes a couple cans of Liquid Courage will help you learn a new trick too.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-20-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
Liquid Courage...is that like the Red Bull that makes Parks ride so good? Cause I've been drinking that Red Bull and I still can't land my squirly. I should sue their fat cat butts for false advertising. Oh, you meant beer. Right.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-20-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
My only problem with partying is when people don't show up the next morning at dawn.

(Message edited by shredhead on May 20, 2004)
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2004, 2:01 PM Reply   
Zach..thats what I like to do too. It's just alot of hassle getting them both out. We just always get out on the lake and say that we're gonna ride x amount of time that afternoon and alot of times we just party too much and don't. That gets old, ya know. We definately have a cooler in the boat and we definately get our share of liquid nerve. Another thing that bugs the hell out me is when you tie up to ppl (that are tanked)and party and they end up spillin stuff in the boat or not watching the connected boats when huge rollers go by and ppls boat end up gettin banged up. Stuff just gets annoying.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-20-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
Jim,
thats they thing. Not everyone, but alot of people who don't own there own boat know how hard it is to keep them in the water. Spilling stuff on your boat, not help fill the tank, tossing your boards. One of my friends tossed my ricky g board on to the deck of my pontoon from the speed boat. I just had them recarpeted, plus it was my RICKY G board. Safe to say he got tossed next!!!
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
I agree. I don't own my own boat but I go to the lake with my best friend EVERY time he goes so he pretty much counts on me to help him with cleaning it and keeping an eye on it when we tie up and stuff.(along with alot of the other things that come along with owning a boat) By the way, how does your Ricky G board ride?? Mine is coming tomorrow or Sat.