Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-29-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
I was toolin' around on my computer and did a little video editing and it was actually pretty fun. Definitely a long way to go to make anything good, but I'm interested in doing more filming. I was wondering what ya'lls thoughts were on a good entry level video recorder? I was looking at the Sanyo Xacti, seemed to have pretty good specs and was also "waterproof" to a certain depth, which is gold on a boat and filming off tubes. Thanks!!!
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-29-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
I'd 100% recommend buying a waterproof housing separate of the camera - 'waterproof' cameras are sketchy. That way, you've got better waterproofing and more options for cameras.

Unfortunately, can't speak to entry-level camcorders...
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
I had never done anything like this as well, but when I got hurt in April I started doing video edits with Movie Maker and a little Sony Handy Cam. We've had the camera for ever... u could prolly score one for $250 or so now. I've really enjoyed it and for nothing but a little time and effort feel like I turned out a few good videos and learned some appreciation for good cinematography and editing.

Check out the work...

http://vimeo.com/user1838426/videos

IMO you can really see how my editing and filming got progressively better.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-29-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
The Flip.... HD video, its small, comes with software and its cheap.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-30-2009, 2:39 AM Reply   
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210790651&listingid=44853039 just bought it and shoots in HD and is waterproof, can't beat that! Awesome quality videos!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-30-2009, 5:26 AM Reply   
Jon D, the only thing that I'm confused about on this camera is that it only takes 2 MP stills? Am I reading that correct? It'd be pretty nice to be able to double over as a camera too if I needed to... I'm definitely interested though, it seems like between that one and the Xacti right now. The one you bought is a lil out of my price range at the moment... might have to save a lil for that baby haha I love being a broke college student...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-30-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
Ben, I checked out the Xacti in Jon's link, as I'd like to get an HD camera too. It looks pretty good for the bucks. But the image sensor is only 1 megapixel, so the 2 megapixel stills isn't really accurate. It's a digital zoom (interpolation). Best to stick with a small still frame camera for that.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-30-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
John,

I just figure it'd be nice to have the option to grab some stills as well instead of having to bring out ANOTHER camera to do so... I thin it's the Xacti E2 for me :-) Thanks guys! I appreciate the insight!!
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-30-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
I love my Sanyo Xacti HD. Small, easy to use, and takes very good still photos as well.