Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (zcrawford4)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-18-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
I am a surfer/surfboard shaper and I have recently gotten into wakesurfing. I was looking to shape some wakesurfing boards but I am not really sure where to get the blanks. I am in Washington (a little too far away from the ocean) and I don't know if there is anywhere close that I can get some blanks from. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old    surfdad            03-18-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
I don't think that anyone currently offers a wakesurf specific blank...best to check the spec's on the blanks available and then mow foam. I know that the folks at WNC work with a number of the manufacturers, they may have something they can do for you.

Or you could do like Matt S does and roll your own EPS:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/547637.html?1203404256
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-19-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
What about regular surf blanks in in the Oregon/Washington area?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-19-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
Let me first say I don't know anyone that works for this company. Fiberglass supply is in Washington. Google them.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-19-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
Careful there dennis! Thanks, Zach and I are kinda working toward a common goal. Thanks for the info.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-20-2008, 4:24 AM Reply   
If you guys want to do EPS/Epoxy, hotwiring is fun and satisfying in that you are truly making something from scratch - a rectangular block of foam. However, it is a lot of work and if you are only going to do a couple of boards I would recommend going with someone like Fiberglass Supply -- especially if you are within reasonable driving distance. Most regular size surf blanks are going to cost you at least $80 for shipping due to size. They can usually pack in 4 or so in the shipping box at that price so you can maximize your dollars, but if you are just ordering one, you may be talking about $150 or more just for the blank plus shipping.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-20-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
Cruise over to swaylocks.com and look up the home depot foam / board construction link. I think it is called "project frog" or something like that.

Nevermind, I found the link for ya.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=275731;search_string=project%20fro g;guest=17534451#275731

I bet that would be the most economical way for you to do this.

*** I do not own stock in Home Depot and have no financial interest in their company other than buying way too many power-tools from them.

(Message edited by mhetheridge on March 20, 2008)
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-20-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Hey Matt E - the project frog link was a good one. Saw that a while back. That is definitely another option that is possible and could be cheaper if the right foam is available at your local HD or Lowes. Mine only carried 3/4inch think sheets and I didn't want to glue sheets all together on top of each other, but that can work. Not too expensive for a sheet of 4x8' EPS if you want to go that way.
Old    surfdad            03-20-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
Matt,

I don't think that we can post links to other sites any longer. I know that you were merely being helpful, but Sway's has ads from folks like Surftech and as such competes for ad dollars with WW. Our rather small community tends to be pretty free with sharing info.

The rather encompassing caveat at the beginning of this forum, while denegrating in tone, is a reasonable business practice. If someone came into my office and started selling insurance in my lobby to my clients I'd kick them out. So I think we bring ORIGINAL content HERE or PM a fairly exhaustive non-original source.

In dealing with products, I think what we do is deal in generalities. So for example someone asks for a board recommendation for getting airs, we respond with the concept of how water releases (curved surfaces allow water to wrap and therefore make release harder, etc) how rocker affects rolling the board up and what generates speed...without a specific mention of product.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-20-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
I hope you are being sarcastic surfdad
or this site really blows.
Old    surfdad            03-20-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
No sarcasm Bob, my interpretation may be OVER the top...I found it hard to interpret the definition of affiliation promulgated by Mr. Williams as anything but "everyone" :-) I think the intent, but again that is just my interpretation, was merely to eleminate folks from advertising without coughing up the dollars. As a business owner myself, I feel that is reasonable. I don't much like the approach, but it's not my "house".
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-20-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
Jeff, sorry you don't like my approach. No, the reason is not to "eleminate folks from advertising without coughing up the dollars." Advertising dollars has nothing to do with it. The purpose is to remove the self-promotion that clutters the forum and turns into a spam bath rendering it next to useless for the users. I have not indicated that joe wakesurfer is no longer allowed to include links in his/her posts. Nor have I indicated that mentioning product is against the rules.

There is no set of rules that I can write to keep every company from advertising. That's why I specifically asked people to follow the spirit of the rules. If you find a loophole in the rules that allows you to post an ad on the discussion board, that doesn't necessarily mean you can or should.

The sad part is that it's really not that complicated of an issue and every other part of this forum doesn't seem to have a problem abiding by it. Certain company affiliates are making it a complicated issue. I don't know why wakesurf companies tend to be more "insurance salesmen-like," but it's finally gotten to the point that we had to do something about it.

Don't blame me. Blame the companies in this industry that feel they have a right to push their products anywhere they can squeeze in a free mention.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-20-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Jeff I do understand what you're saying. I only posted the swaylocks link for instruction on alternative board building utilizing insulation foam. David, you're comment regarding wakesurf companies being "insurance salesman like" is hilarious. Growing up around surf shops and stuff I know exactly what you're saying. Classic line when I used to be a shop rat was this:

Surf Shop Employee: Hey man, that's a nice board huh?
Customer: Yeah man. It's pretty sweet.
Surf Shop Employee: So, whatcha riding now?
Customer: Um...[insert board name and type here].
Surf Shop Employee: Man, I'd bet that board will float you well....
Customer: You think?
Surf Shop Employee:Fer sure bro.
Customer: Cool (all the while looking down the rails).
Surf Shop Employee: Well man, I'll tell you. We're offering a free leash and some wax with that board today. Also, did I mention the surfing is waist to chest high.
Customer: Really. Let me think a little.
Surf Shop Employee: Cool. Just let me know if you have any questions.

I don't know how many times I've heard that same conversation. I bet a solid 20-30% of the time a sale was made.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-20-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
Wow welcome to WW Zach!
His first post becomes.. well, this!
Sorry Zach.
Thanks for the info guys.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-20-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
i know someone who knows someone who stocks wakesurf specific blanks in austin texas..lol..youll have to pm me.peace
Old     (zcrawford4)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-23-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
So all arguing about what should or should not be posted here aside... I just wanted to say thanks to those that posted helpful info , links, and private messages.