Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakerider017)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-05-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
What are the weights of some common Bindings? I think it would be cool to have that information available.

Two that I'm interested in are the Slingshot D2/D3 & 2010 Ronix Relik
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-05-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider017 View Post
What are the weights of some common Bindings? I think it would be cool to have that information available.

Two that I'm interested in are the Slingshot D2/D3 & 2010 Ronix Relik
Well I have the Reliks, and have no doubt in believing the video where PB said they're the lightest bindings on sale this year.
Old     (jondextan)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-05-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
i just took my s12 D2s off my board last night, should've weighted them before i fastened them back on the board. hahaha!
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       05-05-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
I thought the new CWB bindings are supposed to bethe lightest at just over 1 1/2 lbs? The Ronix Bindings are light too. Never picked up Slingshot bindings.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-05-2010, 5:37 PM Reply   
I would like to see SOMEONE forget about the weight and step up with a binding that is durable and lasts more than 6 months...Everyone is so hell bent on shaving an extra .5 ounces since people think its going to take their riding to "new heights". Seriously, I would rather have something that weighs an extra 5-10 ounces and doesnt have: Heel lift and degrading materials. Remember the old metal baseplates and rubber bindings? I still have a few pairs that are use-able!

Then again I guess they wouldn't sell as many bindings if they lasted longer than 6 months! I always end up buying a pair, returning them for another pair through warranty, then having to buy the third pair since they are a season old.....LAME.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-05-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
m-dizzle i totally agree. For cable riders its even worse because were in and out so much it shortens the lifespan even more.

I average 3-4 months on bindings if im lucky. Ronix is bad in this respect, base plate warping and inner lining ripping very quickly. That lightness comes at a cost.

Lf holds up better but still some issues, those air cells are ridiculous, break and fill up with water so easily

Gator seen lots of problems also.

Hmm not to hijack but which bindings are considered the most durable? Never actually thought about it before
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-06-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
Amen Dizzle and Griffin.

I've reverted back to my 2001 Belmonts because they 're rock solid and continue to hold up where new bindings seem to have more issues more often. Also came to realize that I don't really care how heavy my bindings are...
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmx View Post
I would like to see SOMEONE forget about the weight and step up with a binding that is durable and lasts more than 6 months...Everyone is so hell bent on shaving an extra .5 ounces since people think its going to take their riding to "new heights". Seriously, I would rather have something that weighs an extra 5-10 ounces and doesnt have: Heel lift and degrading materials. Remember the old metal baseplates and rubber bindings? I still have a few pairs that are use-able!

Then again I guess they wouldn't sell as many bindings if they lasted longer than 6 months! I always end up buying a pair, returning them for another pair through warranty, then having to buy the third pair since they are a season old.....LAME.
M-Dizzle, My reliks have absolutely no heel lift after putting the J-Bars in, and ronix bindings seem to be built better and better and last longer and longer each year. I still see people riding the original One Bindings all the time.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-06-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Josh...I went through 3 pairs of the One's...right now I am about fed up with my 2009 One's. P.S. I tried epoxying one version's baseplates to the binding to help with the heel lift...no dice.

For Sure Mark! I have only ridden cable a handful of times but I can definitely hear you there. I was wondering if LF ever thought of doing a closed toe ultra with the proper materials so you dont need lube to get in....I would imagine that might be the best option there (flexy and easy to get in and out). Right now I am working on a hybrid "old school" binding....a pair of double up baseplates (metal), old parks footbeds, and CD PS01overlays (that I am currently grommeting to make the lacing system faster and smoother). I am HOPING I can get a comfortable pair of bindings with some durability with this setup.

In case any manufacturers are listening...

If I were making my dream binding it would be: LF Vantage's (no air cell bs) (adding a closed toe-box) on a METAL baseplate (oldschool style) (with the wrap materials ATTACHED to the baseplate to prevent heel/toe lift), REPLACEABLE!!!! velcro straps...with an extra strap going from the middle strap back to the metal plate's heal to help tie everything together.

BTW... I have looked at the current Vantages (and other company versions of this while shopping for a new binding) and cannot fathom why they went to a narrower velcro strap when the original doesnt even hold up....LAME.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-06-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
my dream binding is something like you said dizzle

except they just need to come up with a strap sytem that uses some other closure besides velcro (hook and loop). something that will last, and not break down. I don't know what it is called, but a good housing with a locking stoper piece inside where the strap goes through would work wonders i think.

I did a modification about a year ago that worked alright, but something could be done MUCH better with access to materials, funds and factories and tech and... etc.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-06-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
I took off the strap that is over the toes though as it felt like it was doing nothing for me.

so far the buckles have not broke over a year of use (probably about 30 trips on the lake and 2-3 sets each trip)
the straps go under the footbed and interior plate so it is as if they were attached to the hardware PLUS they will help keep my boots from ripping from the base which i have heard of 2 or 3 instances of soo far. the d2 boots them selves have been used for 2 years
Attached Images

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-06-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-06-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
some kind of ratcheting strap device might work. interchangeable straps for replacement if needed or tweaking would be kool. straps with no stretch and others with a bit of elasticity for customized flexability
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-06-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Check out the 2010 CWB A.A. Boot, its is sick if you like the Velcro.

I have a few riders at the Cable on the 2010 CWB Answers and they are holding up good as well.

The 2010 lineup of boots from CWB are legit, Demo a pair, if you get the chance.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-06-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
Jeff...I owned some CWB's and hated them. The hinge tech cup literally left me limping after each set (It took me a few sets to figure out the issue). The AA boot has narrower velcro straps too....I dont get it, why use narrower velcro strips when the oringinal thicker version wore out?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-06-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
No offense to any companies bindings, but any good binding today has an aluminum baseplate. I ALWAYS look for a binding with a single-piece inner liner for most comfort and no pressure/overlap points.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-06-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
yup i agree on the dream binding. The closest match Ive found has been the melissa ltds. On my second pair now, had the 09 from december to april which is the best any binding has lasted me so far. In the end the velcro wasnt the issue it was still working and hadnt ripped, but I tore the bindings apart on a big back edge.

The 2010 version is pretty good so far it ticks all the boxes for me, they improved the footbed and use the new low plate system so the foam goes straight to the board. The look isnt as crazy as last year either, being black, but it does glitter! Time will tell how durable it is.

The CWB AA looks like it could be good but have never tried CWB at all, any feedback from someone who has them?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-07-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
M Dizzle, but have you tried on the 2010 CWB boots, BIG difference!!

The AA is a new boot for 2010, so I dont understand what you are saying when you say it has narrower Velcro straps, this is the first year CWB has ever used Velcro and the design is great.
The new hinge is a different design as well for 2010,.

Mark I have the new AA's and they are so nice, go try on a pair at your local CWB dealer.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-07-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
The other cool thing is the AA has a little locking mechanism within the velcro to make it completely secure. If you like a higher wrap boot that is incredibly light and easy in/out, AA is the ticket.

M-Dizzle, what year C-Dub were you using? Like Jeff said, they changed for this year. I liked the previous years Answer and they were absolutely bombproof. The 2010s took a little time to get used to, just because they fit completely different (more like a Ronix fit) than the 08/09s. I've been riding mine a lot this spring and so far they are holding strong. I'm taking them to the cable for 3 days next week, we'll see how they hold up.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-07-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
Yeah I had the 09 Answers from C-dubs (which were the ones I hated).

Jeff...I dont understand why the straps are narrower (that the original vantages) for the newly created AA boots. I am definitely a skeptic of durability since the ended up having to duct tape myself into the vantages once the velcro went south.

Mark what size are you riding in the melissa. I rode the orginal vantages in the 9-10 sizing. I am assuming I would were the 9-11 in womens?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-07-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
m dizzle yea 9-11 were good for me, a snug fit but good

i just converted another cable rider at my park, he loves them!

will take a peek at the cwb for next time
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-08-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
OP
i believe reliks are touted as being 1.5 lbs
and the new CWBs are advertised as being 1.7 lbs.