Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-16-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
fellas,
i suck at riding switch, and am thinking of devoting majority of my riding this summer to ONLY ride switch..any of you guys done this? i've heard it will help a LOT, but wanted to know any other tips out there that will help my switch riding..i right regular right now, and i am SO heavy on my back leg, it just feels so GOOFY when I take it switch, and I NEED that feeling to stop..what do you guys suggest?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-16-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
Ride switch. You just HAVE to do it.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-16-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
Oh and don't get yourself locked in to switch so much that it becomes hard for you to turn back regular. Do a lot of ollie 180's in all directions.
Old     (jay_j)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-16-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
I suggest riding switch on days that are slightly blown out, and the weather is not that great. The chopped water will be tougher to ride switch in, but will up the learning curve.... plus, you don't want to "work on" riding switch on a butter day, when you could have an epic day of throwin down.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-16-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
I found snowboarding to be the best way to practice switch riding. Skateboard would be a great method too.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-16-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
problem is, each time i jump to switch i feel like i have to pull the handle so far to my hip, much harder than when I am riding regular, and it just takes me out of my loop, last summer I worked a lot at my switch w2w 180, and finally did get it dialed in at the end of summer, but I want to be able throw a big regular HS w2w 180 into the flats, but each time I try i end up poping the handle because agian, i suck..why does this happen
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-16-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
Great suggestion on the skateboarding. I gotta start doing some of that. I hope to improve my switch riding this year also.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-16-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
I wouldn't ride switch 100% if it took all the fun out of it. All switch and no play makes Johnny a boring boy.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-16-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
I suck pretty bad at riding switch as well so I've been tying to do everything switch on the balance board and skateboard to try and get a better feel for it
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-16-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
more time riding switch. I couldn't do the whole day of switch, that would be boring as hell. take a warm up set switch or a few runs in the set switch. you'll notice improvement sooner than later. try it.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
i learned a lot of my switch riding just cutting in and out away from the wake switch.

like if i wanted to to do a regular ts jump i'd cut out switch toe and then just ollie back to reg and do my thing...same for a regular hs jump. cut out switch and ollie back to reg. you're working on it without really taking the time to work on it specifically. once you get the edges down and you feel comfortable on your switch edges then take it to the wake.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-16-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
yes..yes..all good things..more
Old    K.B.C.            04-16-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
switch 2 minute drill(the book) helped me a bunch. If you're trying to get better at it I'd recommend doing it as a warm up for every set. It's like anything, you're only going to get better at it if you do it more often.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
I agree w/Jarrod snow boarding is the best way to practice, its more forgiving then skate. I heard it has to do with body mechanics/muscle memory or something like that. My riding ways are wack, I learned to skate goofy but ride regular for surf, snow and wake, but I try to be better at switch riding, however my time is short/valuable since others/crew/family either want their turn/pull or wants you to keep up with them. I recommend you divide your time between reqular/switch. Any one ever tried riding a half-pipe switch?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
i can hit it switch on a snowboard. i used to be able to skate switch but i dont skate much anymore.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
Same here, I mostly skate to go get the mail, or p/u my kid from school. sometimes I'll even have a street session with my kid and his friends in the neighborhood. Funny, I don't see any other dads do this? I do like the modern boards, but I still have a Tony Alva 10" deck with tracker trucks and Sims conacale II wheels. Great board for riding pools
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
old school...i wish i still had some of my old boards from the 80's and 90's..i had some dope vision and gator boards.

(Message edited by romes on April 16, 2008)
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
Jr. the vision/gator boards were definitely DOPE, my first board was black knight, it was short and flat (like my first g-friend) jk. but it did have CLAY wheels. As i recall my face & knees definitely have scars, if you hit a small pebble those wheels would lock up fo su! After that I moved onto the rad fiber glass boards (Bhane)
with gullwings and OJ's ha....
Old     (hyperboarder05)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-16-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
Last summer i devoted a lot of my time to doing a bunch on 180s and riding switched and i never regreted it once. i feel like i'm a MUCH better rider for it.
Old     (agaubrey)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-16-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
Try doing everyday activities switch. Like try brushing your teeth switch. I think I learned this from Jeff McKee. Or using your mouse switch. Can you tie your shoe laces switch or put your clothes on switch? This will help you ride switch. FASHO!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
HAHA...hey aaron how you put your clothes on switch?
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-16-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
haha, i haven't ever though of that, i'll give it a try..

by the way i type all of this backwords for switch reasons..it was hard. just kidding.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-16-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
practice ollying switch on the carpet. works real good on muscle memory for switch riding on a wakeboard.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-16-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
I found riding the balance board I made (crappy cheap skateboard deck and an old spring from my car) way harder switch at first, although it's pretty much just riding the same way facing backwards. Helped me in terms of what to do with what muscles when just standing on the board switch. Definitely helped my riding on the water too. I still suck at riding switch as well but I'm getting better. Used to be I'd do a lot more switch tail presses, mostly by accident because I was leaning back too far. Once you know what you're doing wrong it's a lot easier to fix so if you analyse your riding while you're doing it and visualise what it should be like that might help you learn faster.

Brushing your teeth switch? Haha, Never thought of that... I had to do it when I had my arm in a sling for 6 weeks after shoulder surgery. Sucked at first, got better after a while.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-16-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
Jake, you are popping the handle because you are pulling to early which puts you off axis and puts pressure on you front leg, I did this at nationals last year, so embarrasing.

If you have Windows movie Maker, Take A shot of your Regular H/S 2Wake jump and Take a shot of a S/W H/S 2Wake Jump. then use the mirror function and compare.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-16-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
What about *********ing switch Aaron? Do you think that would help also?
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       04-16-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
LMAO J-Rod! How you been Aubrey? I never see ya on here...Let's ride this summer! PM Me with your number...I don't have it any more.

You too J-rod...we've talked about it too much, but it's been a B@tch for me to get up there.

Arun...you too...where you at? I miss the dirty D!

Sure wished I could have been out there last weekend...It was a scorcher here in L.A.!!!

***Thread Hijack Over...Back to bus. as usual***

Oh...and don't believe anyone that tells you switch hitting helps you ride switch...It just makes your butt sore!

(Message edited by depswa on April 16, 2008)
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
get a longboard and start bombing hills switch, thats what helped my switch riding anyway
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-16-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
Lots of things can help you ride switch outside of wakeboarding. One of the easiest ways to improve your riding either direction is making sure you have the right form. Start at the wake and cut out, until you either fall on your face or you find the perfect form. Do that regular then change over to switch. Do this often to help your muscle memory. When you feel comfortable start cutting harder and stopping yourself. After a little bit you will be comfortable transferring from edge to edge. Then you can start taking to the wake.

I've ridden entire sets switch and it was a blast. Switch TS is how I determine my comfortable rope length and speed.

Dan, we are not going to feel sorry for you! Hope all is well :-)
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-16-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
I find that you really can't practice switch in any other board sport due to the fact that you can be heavy on your front foot and in wakeboarding that just doesn't work.
Old     (cody_08_lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-16-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
i learned by getting on my board behind a seadoo so there is no wake and you can get big full fast cuts switch all the way across without having a big wake to worry about crossing... i also rode my roam switch for a while while i was leanrning also n that was ...interesting
Old    kidrik            04-16-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
J-Rod.......what if it already takes BOTH hands like in my case.......? Just switch top and bottom or what?