Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-23-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
I picked up my boat this past spring. Ran it all season. Put over a 100 hours on it without any battery or electrical problems. I had a friend tell me I have the wrong type of battery in the boat. I have one battery and it's an interstate deep cycle battery (HD24-DP) 405 CCA 505 MCA. He said I shouldn't have a deep cycle battery for my main and only battery? Is he right?
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       10-23-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
most starting batteries have around 1000cca, im quite supprized your getting by with 405cca. Most mastercrafts use a group 27 not a 24 too. Im not telling you that yours wont work but, as the battery wears down and loses voltage, those cca's are only going to drop. I think the interstate model you want is a 27m-xhd. Low voltage can cook ecm's and mastercrafts gauge controling computer
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-23-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
You're fine with a deep cycle battery.
What you lose are cranking amps and what you gain is the ability to let it discharge lower for longer. Boats and RV's that tend to sit for long periods often have Deep cycle batteries as their only battery.
Myself, I prefer a starting type, or conventional, battery as a sole battery but it certainly isn't worth worrying over.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-23-2007, 6:09 PM Reply   
I've had an Interstate deep cycle in my boat for seven years now, it's just starting to lose some holding power if it sits more than a month, but charges right back up on a trickle charger.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-23-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
Deep cycle okay. Most people see deep cycles as auxillary/reserve batteries but they can be used for a primary battery. I would recommend upgrading maybe to a larger CCA battery and maybe keep your current battery as a secondary with a Perko switch. I know I do not feel right turning off the boat if I'm having to rely on one battery but I might just be paranoid of floating all the way to the Pacific. hahaha...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
No.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
I was thinking of adding a perko switch this winter. So maybe I'll get a larger CCA battery and set up my deep cycle as the secondary battery. That should work well, right?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-24-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
Is it very hard to add a Perko switch? I've been thinking about adding second battery to give me peace of mind for a while and to provide extra weight up front. Does anyone have an easy installation guide?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-24-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
Go buy one an instruction manual is included. Very easy....
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-24-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
If I was going to buy a new battery I wouldn't buy a small deep cycle as the primary starting battery.

If I already had the battery and it was working for me I wouldn't change it.

In a year or two when that battery starts to have difficulty I would replace it with a larger battery that has more CCA. Until then use what you have.

Rod
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-24-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
My boat came from the factory with a deep cycle.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-24-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
I believe every "marine" battery I have ever looked at was deep cycle.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-25-2007, 12:32 AM Reply   
I would recommend looking into installing a combiner instead of a Perko switch. I was planning to do a Perko switch until some electrical gurus on here explained the different choices. The Perko is nice, but a combiner is completely automatic. I got a 150-amp combiner on e-bay for $115, and the install was very easy.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-26-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
Instructions for Perko on this page:

http://www.perko.com/instruct.php
click battery switches and then
Medium Duty Battery Selector Switch 8501DP, 8503DP then download instructions

Sam-

In regards to a combiner, please elaborate on this. I'm not sure if you are refering to a solenoid or a battery isolator.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       10-26-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
PERKO'S SUCK buy Blue Seas or BEP, both are brands that the manufactures choose, much much better quality. I have seen perko's that shorted out internaly and melted the whole switch.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       10-26-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
Also your starter draws 800 or so amps so any battery used to start your boat should be rated as such.