Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (cdisesa)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
Anybody use a brace to stabilize their ACL while learning to wakeboard?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-16-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
If you already have an acl problem, I would suggest it along with spending some time at the gym working on your leg muscles.

I use double braces.
Old     (cdisesa)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
What types of brace do you use and what exercises do you do?
Old     (eliotflydog)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-16-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
i have a cti brace that works good but it was fited to me by the doctor dont really know much bout the braces you can by that are not custom fit
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-16-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
I use EVS webs and asterisk braces. Both are very good.

Squats and leg presses are important. Along with agility exercises like you would do for b-ball or soccer practice. One legged squats. cycling. balance boards. anything like that really will help you out. If you're really concerned I would suggest a couple visits to a physiotherapist so he/she can explain it all to you in person.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-16-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
I learned how to ride without an ACL and no brace.
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-17-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
I ride with a partially torn ACL and a cti2 brace. The brace is very good and after a few pulls with it, you get used to it and it really doesn't affect your riding.
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-17-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
I rode last summer with a Breg Fusion (custom fit) and no ACL. It didn't affect my riding at all.

And I agree . . . keep your legs in shape.
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-18-2008, 10:26 PM Reply   
i was back on the water 5 weeks after acl replacement. I had it done feb 9th and I am back doing inverts already I do ride with 2 cti braces.
0my legs look like I never had both acls replaced. all the tone is back in the leg. I was told by the doctor that I rushed the fist one and was lucky and to take it easy on this one. I used crutches 2 days to get to the bathroom, I just stayed in bed the 1st couple days and then got rid of the crutches and did my own pt this one I worked hard and pushed it way faster and is now stronger than the one I had done in august. I researched for weeks how to get it back quick.

so do a bunch of exercise get it strong get some braces and ride. yet I would recommend surgery it only sucked 2 days.
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-19-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
I tore my MCL and broke my Tib-Fib skiing back in January. After going thru the whole orth. Doc. thing I am now in my brace. He put me in a DonJoy Defiance brace. Lots of sports med. Doc's are using Donjoy braces for ACL/MCL injuries. The brace is about $1200 (thank god insurance took care of it).
Old     (kayutalakemonster)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
I would recommend the cti2 brae its custom fit so its mad tight. I rode without an acl for about 4 years procrastinating getting the surgery. good luck.
Old     (hfgcey5589gmailcom)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
Does insurance pay for the custom fit braces if you havent injured your knee?
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-04-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
Call or look up the info. about your insurance company paying for your brace. Normally you should have durable medical goods coverage, depending on the company. Your doctor will have to write a script for you,submidt it to the company you want your brace thru and then they will approve it. In most cases it has to be "for medical necessity" (you need the brace to perform activities because of the injury). My brace (DonJoy) was around $1,200 but insurance paid everything. The brace I have was custom fit and only took about 24 hrs turnaround time once the company had all the measurments and info. Pretty dam good service and the brace is amazing. I tore my MCL, I.T band and broke my tib/fib on my left leg. The brace has helped me a ton. Good luck with everything. If you need help just drop me a line. Both my wife and myself work in the medical field.
~JJ
Old     (ucfboarder)      Join Date: May 2008       05-04-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
sorry to hijack but I have another question kind of related. I am almost 5 months out of patella tendon acl surgery and am thinking about going wakeskating tommorow (I figure it's easier on the knee than strapping in). I havent been on the water in a long time and I just can't take it any more. Also I would be wearing my Don Joy Defiance brace. I really dont want to hurt myself but really want to ride. Knee feels real good and I think I will be alright but figured I should check on here for opinions on if this is a dumb idea since i haven't been cleared to ride yet. thanks.
...end hijack
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-04-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
You are the one taking the risk man! Listen to your body.... Ask yourself, is it really worth doing more damage now and risk messing up the entire summer? I know it hard. I am a competitive snow skier during the winter, I tore mine back in Jan. and have been off the snow since. I missed out on all the rest of the freestyle events this season but I knew if I took a chance and went back out.... I would be done for longer. Believe me. I want to get out on the H20 so bad but I just listen to my body and my ortho.surgeon!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-04-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
Cory - who did your surgery ? If they didn't clear you to ride, I know that many of the Orthopods in O-town are going to be pissed at you for going against their recommendations.... Yeah it's a dumb...... OH WAIT! stupid idea.

If you can't go downstairs or walk backwards without assistance & looking - that pretty much gives you an idea what kind of muscle/motor control you have with your knee.
Old     (ucfboarder)      Join Date: May 2008       05-04-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
Dr. Krumins of Jewett Orthopedic did my surgery. I think I am further along than you expect. I can go down or up stairs at full speed and can basically backpedal just as fast as I used to be able to. I have been doing pretty extensive agilities at PT for some time now as well.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-04-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
Have you tried to do these things blindfolded/without looking down where your next step is going to be?
Krumins isn't going to clear to you ride regardless of "how you feel". That's not what it's about.
It's about letting the graft revascularize and that takes @ 6mos. minimum.
Plus your patella is still pretty weak and not fully healed in from where the graft was taken.
Old     (ucfboarder)      Join Date: May 2008       05-04-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
thanks for the info! I think I'm gonna hold off on the skating and wait to see what he says at my next appointment on 20th of this month. Probably the right thing to do.