Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-21-2006, 3:38 PM Reply   
If you had to choose between getting a heater installed or hot shower, which one would you get and why? I dont have a drysuit yet... And I 50% of the time ride in salt water.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-21-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
I would take a heater over a hot shower anyday. The heater is more "CREW" friendly than a hot shower. Sure the warm water would feel good but your still gonna be wet sittin in the boat freezin. With a heater you dry off, rap a blanket around you and put the heater hose in the blanket and stay warm, and if you get a dry suit you wont need a shower cuz youll have warm clothes on under your dry suit(at least I do). Just my 2cents.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-21-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
Heater. No doubt about it. I use the heater a lot and at times I am really thankful for it.

The shower is rarely used, and when it is used it is more of a joke than a real need. Like hosing down the wetsuit before you put it on. Washing the dog before it gets in the boat. etc.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-21-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
I agree with both Steve and Rod. Had a shower on our other boat, hardly used it. New boat, we went with the heater instead. Though someone mentioned that it would be nice to fill closed toe bindings with warm water for winter riding.
Old    walt            09-21-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
I'd go with a heater too.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-21-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
Heater
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-21-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
Heater. I have a shower in my boat and have never used it.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-21-2006, 5:32 PM Reply   
I say heater too.I use my heater all the time and my shower got used maybe 6 times the whole time I had the boat.Shower was the biggest waste of money if you ask me.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-21-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
If you do any boat camping the shower is a big hit. Its also nice to bring the feet back to life in the winter.
But if you can only have one or the other...heater for sure. Although I would get a drysuit before either!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-21-2006, 10:55 PM Reply   
Sorry to hijack, but how difficult is it to install a heater? :-) I'm thinking it could be a very nice addition if the project isn't too difficult
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-21-2006, 11:19 PM Reply   
HEATER... we never used our shower.... if you only ride in cold water and wear wet suits then yes hot shoer....
ummm heater
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-22-2006, 5:44 AM Reply   
Every boat is different, but heaters are pretty much a pain, not because it it comlicated, but because you have a lot of large hose to hide. Some installs are simple and some take hours. If its an MB I can install it in about 2 hrs, only because I have done about 10 of them.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-22-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
If you are only taking one set in cold water or riding with a drysuit then heater it is. If you are a taking multiple sets with a wetsuit I would say its more of a toss up based on preference. Getting into a cold wetsuit in the winter time for a second set is enough to make anyone think twice.

FYI Jegs sells heaters for cars that are identical (as far as I can tell) to the heatercraft model. I think the whole deal was only 150 bucks. why not get both, lol!
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-22-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
Heater for sure.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-22-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Good Question:

When you come out of the water in the winter My head is freezing. I take the hot water shower and shower down and run the hot water all over and it seems to get me back to normal opprating temp way better than using the heater. After you come out of the water IMO you just need to get warmed back up and dryed off and your warm clothes back on and your head coverd and your good to go. With a heater IMO it dosent seem to blow enough warm air to warm you back up. Yes they blow warm air but its not enough IMO to bring you back to normal eventually yes you will get warm but you have to hog the heeter for some time. I think the Heeter and the shower work great together. The heater is nice for the people in the boat and so are heated seets.
The heated seats work great. We are out at night alot and its not cold enough to break out the heater and the heated seats just take the edge off
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-22-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Thank you all for your feedback. I will take your suggestion and buy a heater and also buy a drysuit so only my head and feet are salty. Bring a jug of hot water to pour over my head and toes like I do after a surf. Now I got to look into what types of heaters are out there, any suggestions?
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-22-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
wow, wasnt expecting the heater plus install to run $1000 so looks like i'll just get a drysuit an save up some $$ for the heater since i just spent all my boat funds on PP.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-22-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Depending on your ambition, I am not sure that a heater install is beyond the realm of most people. $1000 seems a little steep. I would like to hear other's opinions.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-22-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
It's ghetto but I've been using a portable propane heater, it's way hotter than any car heater and the motor doesn't have to be on. It's got safety mechanisms built in so you dont' blow yoruself up or burn your boat down. under $100.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mr-Heater-Buddy-Portable-Propane-Indoor-Safe-New-Deer_W0QQitemZ170029971429QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20613 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-22-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
Interesting, thanks for the input. It would be a on direct drive boat
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-23-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Adam,

Being no one else has, I have to run the "OH MY GOD, IT'S NOT MARINE ANTI-SPARK RATED...BLA BLA BLA..."

I'll bet the odds of gas fumes sufficient of explosion in the bilge is like 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000. You're crazy to run that risk.

That looks like a good idea, I think I'm going to order one. Is the base wide enough that it doesn't fall over when accelerating to plane from a dead stop?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-23-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
I'm voting heater too. Bling, thanks for reminding me why I love my dry-suit so much.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-24-2006, 12:10 AM Reply   
grant you got any pics,install advice for heated seats?

I know you have already done it
Old     (mujibur)      Join Date: May 2002       09-24-2006, 3:37 AM Reply   
HEATER - we never use the hot shower.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-24-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
Heater. I have both. We use the heater all the time, rarely use the shower.
Old     (wakemaniac69)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-25-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
I would install three items. The heater is great for warming up in the boat, the hot water shower is great for cold water riding, just fill your wet suit and jump in (not everyone has a dry suit). Also, I have installed heated seats into my boat an love them, toasty warm in seconds. The heated seats seem to be everyone's favorite when it gets cold.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-25-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
craig, it has a feature that whenever the unit tips over it will shurt off and the flame guard used will never get to the point where it's hot enough to catch something on fire. Depending on yrou bowrise, it may tip. I had to screw with mine a little before finding the "sweet spot". I usually have a third on the boat who will hold it for the time it may take to plane. On real windy days the flame will soemtimes go out while driving. when the motor is off , it's almost like having a campfire in the middle of your boat, and you can use it in more places than just your boat.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-25-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
all right spill the beans on the heated seats......
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Here is a link to some pic's of the heeted seet install.
the system pull 2 amps for each seet. The units are around $150 each and they are completeley waterproof. Factroy equipment or Hummer and Bu
http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/album26?page=1
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-25-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
Heated seats are killer even for the summer when you took that late set and got the wet shorts on,wrap in the towel/or not and kick it on.Works killer!

Sound Illusion did the install...
Old     (wakemaniac69)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-26-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
I had them installed when I re-upolstered my boat. It was really easy to do at that time. To retrofit to existing seats may take a little bit of extra work, worth it. You could probably remove your seats and do it yourself or take them into an upolstery shop and have their skilled staff open up your seats and install the elements. Toasty warm in seconds, the girls love them.
Old     (air_warrior)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-27-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
Heater no question!