Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (fadingfastsd)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-16-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
The new WakeboardSD.net 2008 Calabria Pro V is here!

We've had it out a couple times, and it kicks ass.
The wake is pretty killer with both ballasts filled (700 pounds of water),
it ramps up like you wouldn't believe.

The boat is Blue/White/Black, with the stock Calabria tower (soon to be replaced by a DBG Concepts custom).
It has room for 15 people, the Mercruiser 330hp Black Scorpion, and Sony head unit w/ 4 Boston Acoustics 6x9's.

Here are some pictures of the new beast. It's currently on a loaner FE trailer from our awesome dealer, Hipp Marine (www.hippmarine.com), while they are having our new custom galvanized & painted trailer built.

Check it out and let us know what you guys think!
WBSD & DBG Concepts logos coming soon as soon as our new vinyl plotter shows up!

I'll have some higher quality, better pics in the SUN up soon!

But what do you guys think??

-EvanUpload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-17-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
I think it looks nice. Give me a pull sometime.

You put that thing in the Bay?

What is wakeboardsd.net?

DBG is solid! Gary is a welding legend.
Old     (fadingfastsd)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
Yo thanks man. It's an awesome boat.
We do ride in the bay occasionally, as we live right by the De Anza Cove boat launch.

WakeboardSD.net is the San Diego Wakeboarding community we run. You should check it out if you're a SD rider.

And Gary @ DBG is a killer guy.
He's got a brand new custom tower on the way for the Calabria, as well as an insane stereo.

We handle their website for them, check out
www.dbgconcepts.com.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-17-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
Sick Boat. Oh wait...its mine too!
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-17-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
Calabrias make one of the best looking towers out there in my opinion. congrats on the boat
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-17-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
Threw my first backroll behind that beast. Ok, I didn't land it, but still. I'm in love.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (blwakeguy)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
WHY ARE YOU REMOVING THE FACTORY TOWER?
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-17-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
The boat is sponsored by DBG Concepts, (www.dbgconcepts.com) who is the main sponsor of Wakeboard SD. They are building a custom made DBG Concepts tower for the boat.

Anyone interested in the stock tower?
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       06-17-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
Yes! Another Calabria owner. Best boats. Know I sound like a mastercraft owner. Just joking LOL. Nice boat, enjoy it.
Old     (oldmansteck)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
I think I saw you out at San V Saturday, Am I correct?
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-17-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
JS - yep we were out at San V riding all day at the slalom/wakeboard course. from about 630am-6pm
Old     (fadingfastsd)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
Ya we hang out at San V pretty much every weekend.
Let us know, you're welcome to come out for a pull!
Hop on over to www.wakeboardsd.net and sign up & post up to head out for some rides with us!

And I agree, Calabria's are awesome boats.
I'll argue with the Mastercraft guys all day long!
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       06-17-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
Evan-- I am with you all the way.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-17-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Nice boat but you might want to think about adding more weight. I think most would agree here that the Calabria wake is really pretty weak with the stock 700 or whatever it is and it will only get better by putting in another 1300 or so. Something to think about.
Old     (blwakeguy)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
i would agree that the wake is pretty weak. it sure is not close to any competition style wake.(nautique 210 or 230 ,malibu vlx,mastercraft x-star)
Old     (fadingfastsd)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 10:55 PM Reply   
Brian & Jonny - I'm not sure how much time you've spent riding on a Calabria, because a lot of people would consider it a "competition style wake".
The 700# built in ballast provides for a pretty solid ride. It makes for a pretty decent ramp with a nice peak. We've got another 600# Skylon sack we use, and we'll soon have a couple v-drive sacks for it as well just to bump it up...but it is plenty competitive with the "big names" in stock form.

I'm not saying additional weight won't help the size and shape any (of course it will, as on any boat), but are you basing those comments on any actual experience?
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-17-2008, 11:22 PM Reply   
YES.. I am talking from experience. Look at your pics for reference, I hate to say it but that wake looks horrible. Its washed out and you can tell it is poorly weighted just by the fact that even in that water it is crappy. A weighted boat will still plow through some chop without much of the wake being affected and therefore making it still rideable.(IE "wake hardness"Not only more weight for size but more for shape and hardness.

And before anyone gets on my butt for "knocking" his wake, he opened the can here.
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-18-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
looks like he's turning to the right thats why the wake is washed on the left side. I'm no wake expert but thats how it looks to me...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-18-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
doesn't look balanced or in a straight line... hard to tell from those.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-18-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Johnny - the water we were riding in was pretty crappy. Saturday at San Vicente can get a lot of chop. The first picture was during a turn, second one is taken from sitting on the starboard side of the boat so the angle only really shows one side of the wake clearly.

Regardless, I am plenty stoked on my Calabria's wake, and I don't have much interest in discussing the pros and cons of anyone else's opinion of the wake from a boat they will probably never ride on...so I'll just continue tweaking it to my liking.

--And now I bow out from the pissing contest about who's boat is better--
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
Wow..Brian and Jonny need to chill. Who gives a s^&t what you think. Why the negativity?? The guys are excited about their new ride. Sick boat by the way. I owned a Pro-V for 3 years. Great boat with a nice wake.

daxx, if you are going to add a 600, put it in the walkway to the nose. It will be perfect right there. That is where we put it. Good luck and have fun. Congrats on the new ride.
Old     (fadingfastsd)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-18-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
I agree, I was never starting this thread to get into an argument on wake shape and size.
I really don't care what other boats can do, I care what MINE can do.

And it wouldn't hurt to give it a little tweaking, but it's a professional quality wake, hands down.

But I'll shut up about that.
How about some of you guys come out and ride on it, and then see what you think
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-18-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Ha.. I merely commented on adding more weight to improve your boat wake. You then started questioning me, like any new boat, you need to tweak the wake as you said and I was only trying to help you in that aspect.
And as far as trying a backroll, I am not sure why you would try to do one while the boat is turning or not going straight, that is how you will get hurt, but you will learn in time.

Anyways, enjoy the boat!
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-18-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
Man...I read your first couple sentences, and you totally smoothed things over...then you insult my back roll so now we are at war all over again!

hahahah jk

(Message edited by daxxruckus on June 18, 2008)