Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-07-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
Wow.

That's pretty much all I can say about the comp yesterday! I cannot tell all of you who made the journey to WL how happy I am to have had you be a part of such a great day! We had great weather, great riding, some not-so-great water at times (but it could have been a lot worse!), and made some great new friends!!!

I was hoping for 30 riders, planning on 25 riders, and we ended up with 48 riders!!! Wow. We had local Wonder Lakers representing, we had an awesome group of the Militia there, and riders from Lake Geneva area, throughout southern WI and the 'burbs of Chicago, and even a group from Iowa! Here are the results:

Womens:
1st: Patty Hicks, 9, Glenview, IL
2nd: Elizabeth Freeman, 30, Wonder Lake (and fellow ww.com gal!)
3rd: Kaila Coffey, 5, Medinah, IL

Beginner:
1st: Cody Coffey, 7, Medinah, IL
2nd: John Greeley, 13, Salem, WI
3rd: Austin Lutter, 13, Libertyville, IL

Intermediate:
1st: Mike Morris, 30, Wonder Lake (way to REPRESENT! and another ww.comm-er! )
2nd: Eric Karacsonvi, 16, Darien, IL
3rd: Tim Damron, 29 1/2, Ottawa, IL (LOVE those Militia guys!)

Advanced:
1st: Jesse Mase, 22, Williams Bay, WI
2nd: Aaron Curran, 18, Salem, WI
3rd: Stan Tanner, 29, Oconomowoc, WI

Outlaw:
Ben Hanisch, 17, Palatine, IL (where'd this guy come from anyway!? he was amazing!)
Mark "ODB" Baxter, 25, Ottawa, IL (again, MILITIA boys!)
Mark Norwell, 42, Arlington Heights, IL (always an inspiration to us all!)

All I know is I am glad I didn't have to judge! The riding was great all over, and I was SO impressed and honored that all you kick-a$$ riders would come out to our little comp!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for making it such a memorable day for us!!

Keep in touch!

Keni and Jayson (NO, we're NOT MARRIED or "together"!!! haha)
The Board Shop
Old    upupnaway            09-07-2003, 3:00 PM Reply   
You guys rock......It was a butt load of fun!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-07-2003, 3:53 PM Reply   
Way to go Mike! It is very cool to think that the lake I grew up skiing on is hosting wakeboarding tournaments.
Old    pans210            09-07-2003, 8:00 PM Reply   
Even though i didnt ride, it was a great time meeting all of you. Hopefully ill be able to get down to ottwa on the 27th and ride with you guys this time.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-08-2003, 5:46 AM Reply   
Even a group from IA? Jess IA, where are you at in the results?
Old    upupnaway            09-08-2003, 5:48 PM Reply   
Hey ryan, missed ya on sunday. Hope to see you on the 27th!

Hey thanks Andre! wonder lake is finally joining the 90's
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-08-2003, 6:45 PM Reply   
I wanted to send a big thanks out to everyone who was there and The Board Shop for putting together a phenomenal contest! The entire event was awesome!! The venue was terrific with a nice hill so every seat was good. The boats were great and the drivers were very accomodating with pick-ups and clearing the spectating watercraft off of the course (proving that people who drive pontoon boats in general don't have a clue about wakeboarding contests. The judges were objective and fair and had stamina to watch all of us go from 9AM to the afternoon. The prizes and SWAG were plentiful and fun -- thanks to all of the sponsors for throwing out what they did. Not only was it just ten bucks to enter, everyone got a free t-shirt and there were cash prizes! In my opinion, perhaps the contest's greatest strength was the efficiency in which it was conducted. Having been to INT-league events and other wakeboard contests I am well aware that these events can drag on for hours and hours. At Wonder Lake Wake-off the boats kept going, the announcer kept calling the next people, the pick-up boat minimized disruption and riders kept throwing incredible tricks--all without feeling hurried.

I'm looking forward to another event(s) next year sponsored by the Lake Geneva Board Shop. If they start out this great I am certain I won't be disappointed!

P.S. I can't end the post without mentioning the supportive crowd. Everyone cheered for riders of all abilities and even for riders in the same divisions they were competing in. Once again it was proven to me that wakeboarders are a fantastic group of athletes and I am proud to be one.
Old    crissy            09-08-2003, 8:16 PM Reply   
All I can say is WOW, there were some awesome riders this weekend! It's great to see this stuff on the lake I live on, FINALLY! I hope we can have tons more of these! Oh, a big thanks to Keni (Big sis) and Jayson!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-08-2003, 8:20 PM Reply   
Where was the competition held? Center beach? I used to live on the lake on the west side down toward the dam. Someday I'm going to make it back to my old stomping grounds and mooch some pulls!
Old    upupnaway            09-09-2003, 3:31 AM Reply   
It was at center beach. You could see 80% of the run up and back from anywhere on the beach, and the drivers pulled us back right in front of the beach for the wild card trick or double up at the end of the run.
The wind was coming from the south that day, and there were some wicked waves because of it, but almost all of the riders seemed unaffected by it.
Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-09-2003, 10:10 AM Reply   
Hey! Keep checking back to www.lakegenevaboardshop.com for the complete results, photos, and coming events! The website is there, and adding that stuff is in the works and should be all up in the next day or two!

Thanks, again, to all who came out to help this event such a great success! Thanks to the riders who gave us a wonderful show! And more importantly, I wanted to thank the people "behind the scenes" that I couldn't have done it without:

Ryan m - who sat in the hot sun with papers and a claculator for 6 hours tallying scores and double checking the judges sheets, and barely got to see any riding! YOU ROCK.
Kristina - who was up at dawn with us helping set up, and who ran around with me all day fetching me whatever I needed!
The guys at Arrow Marine in Fox Lake, IL - a million thank yous for EVERYTHING!
Dave and Bob for never leaving the croud hanging with your wit and charm! :-)
To our sponsors who graciously donated time and money.
And mostly to Ken and Karen Koreba, and Tom and Ruth Rishling - parental units extraordinaire, who's help (and access to their bank accounts :-) ) was beyond words! We love you!!

Stay tuned, everyone, for more fun stuff to come!!! Please drop us an email if you'd like to be added to our email list to stay updated! the_board_shop@hotmail.com
Old     (eljefepequeno)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-09-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Hey Keni-
Have Jayson email me, I'm a bud from SIUC Waterski Team.
jeffdanielson@sprintpcs.com
Thanks

(Message edited by eljefepequeno on September 09, 2003)
Old    pans210            09-09-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
mike, sorry i missed you on sunday. I slept through my alarm, and by the time i got tanya's message back it was around 4. It looks like i will deffinatly be down in ottawa on the 27th though, so we will have to go out riding then.

Keni and jayson, the two we should be thanking the most, for opening up a great shop, and putting on some great compitetions. I cant wait for the next one, so i can do some more math. Have fun at surf.
Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-09-2003, 8:53 PM Reply   
Ok, this is all I got for now...I leave for Surf Expo at 4am tomorrow, so this is all I have time to muster up right now, but stay tuned to the website for more to come!

(and ryan m, YOU ROCK. i can't thank you enough for everything. seriously.)