Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (airbeast)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-03-2011, 9:53 PM Reply   
I had 2009 Factions. Top laces tore within a couple of outings. The pinch locks never held. Ended up using my own laces and locks. That's not a big deal though. Ended up breaking the baseplate. Got them fixed under warranty. That was last summer. This summer same thing happened again. My girlfriend's Vapors broke the same way too. CWB was somewhat slow but they did come through and send new 2011 boots for both of us so that was nice. In about 8-10 riding days mine broke the baseplate days after my warranty ran out. I never had any serious wrecks in them. I did spend the whole last couple of days doing double ups in every spot I could. So had some hard landings. Also, they still have the same silly laces and they tore again as well; and, I found the heel locks on the 2011s to constantly come unlocked by the water spray. I was going to just bungee them in the locked position. I've been a fan of CWB but I'm losing hope now.

I was thinking of Ronix Cells but hear some bad stories about them coming apart as well. Same thing with Watsons. Anyone recommend anything else? I'd like a stiff tall boot. I was wondering how well the new Gator Boards Gators are made? I've not heard much of them. The only thing I got is a Gator board from ~2002.
Attached Images

Last edited by airbeast; 09-03-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-03-2011, 10:24 PM Reply   
Slingshot RAD boots are pretty stiff and tall, so far i am loving them, but i only ride like 20-30 times a year, so i definitely have not put "serious miles" on them yet so i have no valid personal opinion on longevity. but they do have replacement laces and liners available for them.

might even try those new hyperlite system boots. the system binding ought to stand up to some good beatings? the boots are "caged in a sense" and not connected in anyway to tear like traditional mounted boots. IF the boot ever does have issues and breaks out of warranty, it will be cheaper to replace since the boots are 2/3 to 3/4 the cost of a traditional boot/binding of another brand.
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-04-2011, 5:37 AM Reply   
I know CWB had a problem this year with their bolts shearing through bindings. My buddy went through 2 pair and 2 boards this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (airbeast)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-04-2011, 11:01 PM Reply   
I looked at the Slingshots. The only thing that worries me is they look like they'd keep you in a straight legged stance? I landed with my knee locked out last summer and messed it up. Been trying to stick with bindings that keep you in a bent knee position.

I may try the system. I've not heard much about it's durability though. Wonder how well you'd still come out of them if the wreck is good enough?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-05-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
I am big fan of the O'brien Vice Boots nice and stiff, super comfy! Typically I eat gear alive. I will go through at lease 4-5 set-ups a summer. Still Rocking the same boots I started the summer with.

Last edited by andy_nintzel; 09-05-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-05-2011, 11:47 AM Reply   
Max, Go with the Ronix Cells. I love stiff bindings and prefer a bent knee position. (I used to ride Nice Gonzalez bindings which are some of the stiffest bindings ever made.) I was worried that the Cells wouldn't allow bent knees but they actually do quite well. I've been riding my Cells for over a year now (at least once per week) and have had no major issues.
Old     (airbeast)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-10-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
Ended up getting the Cells. They had them local for $287 with tax. I was too impatient to order anything else online. Rode 4 days on them so far and I like them. They seem to have too much arch support for me but it's getting better with every day. I had the same issue with Ronix Ones. I have not heat molded them yet either. So far no broken laces and no stitching coming loose. More than I can say for CWB. Hope they hold up for a while!
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-11-2011, 9:10 PM Reply   
1+ on the Cells.

Great stuff. I personally ride the Ones but one of my friends rides the Cells and loves them. They are a bit stiffer than the Ones but still super comfy. Plus he breaks just about everything he rides and the Cells have been bombproof. Give them a shot!

FYI--They seem to run true to foot size. I wear a size 10 skate shoe and a size 10 Ronix binding.

Last edited by trio; 09-11-2011 at 9:10 PM. Reason: typo