Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-28-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   

Wow. They made it illegal to dance at the Jefferson Memorial, so a group went to protest it. This is how the police responded.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-28-2011, 9:22 PM Reply   
"A court recently ruled that expressive dancing was in a category with picketing, speech making, and marching - a banned activity at national memorials."

Dumb.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-28-2011, 10:23 PM Reply   
That is seriously NUTS!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-29-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
I can see where some govt cuts need to happen.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-29-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
Holy fascism! Heard about it this morning., absolutely disgusting. Welcome the to USSA.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-29-2011, 4:36 PM Reply   
I'm all for a little civil disobedience but these people deserve to be arrested. The police did not make the law, only enforced it. The "protestors" were given plenty of warning and asked to please stop doing a banned activity. The ban on dancing may be dumb but unfortunately it is the law. Why not challenge the law in a manner that makes a true case for change? Getting your dumb ass arrested doesn't accomplish much.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-29-2011, 5:16 PM Reply   
Probably because a lot of people don't give a crap about laws like this until they see how draconian they are. And this kind of civil disobedience is the only way to demonstrate it. Just because something is law, it doesn't make it right. And just because it isn't right doesn't mean enough people give a hoot to do anything about it.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-29-2011, 6:29 PM Reply   
Stephan,

dancing to those police constituted bobbing your head with headphones in. Say you hadn't heard about the law and went there with headphones in and you "danced" (something I see happening surprisingly often while walking around at school) so they arrested you. Would you still be singing the same tune? The act of dancing is completely subjective to the police officer. Which is insane.

I'm usually on here defending police actions, but these were borderline ridiculous. That one couple kisses and they're instantly arrested. GMAFB.

I actually agree with John for once, completely and totally. This kind of ****e has been going on a lot in the past few years, where the government passes laws that are borderline fascist and we all just sit by and watch. At least some group tried to protest one of them, but we see where it got all of them.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-29-2011, 7:44 PM Reply   
Stephan, this is only the beginning. The police and soldiers in Nazi Germany were only enforcing the law, just following orders. Ever since the Nuremberg trials "just following orders" has not been good enough, and it's not a good enough excuse for our soldiers today. Why should it be a good enough excuse for our police, which are paid out of all of our wallets, to violate our rights?

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
Old    SamIngram            05-30-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
The Resistance is building...

The chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall.

John has a long mustache, John has a long mustache.

BTW, Cory D, if you are interested I would strongly suggest reading Martin Niemoller's biography. Here is a good summary. I think there are many lessons to learn from it.

Last edited by SamIngram; 05-30-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-31-2011, 5:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
dancing to those police constituted bobbing your head with headphones in. Say you hadn't heard about the law and went there with headphones in and you "danced" (something I see happening surprisingly often while walking around at school) so they arrested you. Would you still be singing the same tune?
Before I go on I want to stress that I think this is a STUPID STUPID LAW, but not the cops fault.....

They were all warned, or heard others being warned.... so I assume 4 hours later a guy with headphones is "bobbing his head" they would warn him at minimum... Lets face it, those people went there specifically to stir up **** and when it was all said and done got what they deserved.

I completely think the law is 100% stupid, but I don't blame the cops for DOING THEIR JOB..... lets say those dancers were "protesting" like that, one of the security cams or something caught it and the cop's supervisor saw it and the cops did nothing, they could lose their job (little extreme but stranger things have happened - like being arrested for dancing).

The law is the law is the law, they were knowingly breaking the law, they were asked to stop, they didn't.... no different than any other law being broken.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-31-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
I think Nick explained what I was trying to say a little better. I agree that protesting is a good way to get an issue brought to the forefront, but it comes with the consequences that were carried out in the video.

The law is certainly stupid, many of them are. I learned recently (when getting a ticket for driving while talking on my cell phone) that the officer could have also cited me for my sunglasses, which have side bands that are taller than 1 inch. Stupid law, but most certainly not a precursor to Nazi-ism. To argue every little law you disagree with as such, is sad and you have my pity.

I'm curious to learn why the law was put in place. Keeping street performers out? Denying a place for hippies to beat their drum? Stop a flash mob and the ensuing chaos? Are people allowed to preach at national monuments? Can we do gymnastics (just a not a floor routine)? Hacky sack? Where is the line people?!?!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-31-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
Yes, you can use the argument that people know it's a stupid law, but a law nonetheless. But....there are a lot of stupid laws still on the books that police officers are not out "doing their job" to uphold such laws. For instance, in Austin, TX...it is illegal to carry a pair of wire cutters in your pocket.

Austin, Texas is a city with a large university population and plenty of computer money floating around, with a lively downtown area. It’s the 15th-biggest city in America. Despite that, it has a law dating back to the frontier days, when fence cutting and cattle stealing was a big deal. For that reason, don’t carry wire cutters in your pocket.

All of that being said, I wouldn't be willing to get arrested just to dance and demonstrate how stupid the law is AFTER being warned.
Attached Images

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-31-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
Well the event was organized specifically to get arrested, so it's not a big surprise. I think it's curious that the officer would never tell anyone what the law was.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-31-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
I am appalled that anyone would think these "people" have any rights, or a leg to stand on. That is a National Memorial, respect it. What about the people who went there to visit it, and take the awe of it in, only to be delayed and likely have their day ruined by these protesters? What if the law's intent is to keep bums from dancing and doing the subway street performances in there? Who cares, do you really want to see those type of people proving a point at a NATIONAL Monument? They should be arrested and shipped off to fight alongside those that are allowing us to even have the opportunity to go see a National Monument when we want, and those that we enjoyed a National Holiday yesterday because of. We need less trash like those people "dancing". They were like little kids who just got told no, went ahead and did it, and then said they didn't know. But they weren't kids. A law is a law, that should be enough, but there is also TACT, and you don't do stuff like that at a National Monument/Memorial. Efforts could be put forth for much more productive things. I'm glad they are preserving everyone's else right to enjoy the monument in a peaceful and normal manner. They kick kids out of malls for doing that stuff, why would a monument be any different?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-31-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
Yeah they should be organized with legal protests like the Westboro church when they hold up signs at a funeral saying some deceased solder is going to hell. That's the rights the solder fought for. Not the right to show up in DC and protest a law.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-31-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
the llaaw has nothingg to do wwith bums or street performers. a judge added dancing to a list of things cconsideered pprotesting. protesting is illegall in nationall monuments or something.

sorry for the typos. i'm at wwork so i'm using my phone which has a broken keyboard. it keeeps doubble aand trippe tapping lletters.... argh..
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-31-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Yeah they should be organized with legal protests like the Westboro church when they hold up signs at a funeral saying some deceased solder is going to hell. That's the rights the solder fought for. Not the right to show up in DC and protest a law.
Where was that said at all? I don't get why you even brought that up?

Nick, thank you for the clarification. I would agree with the Judge then, with all these organized dances and "flashes", they should be included in what can not be done at certain facilities.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-31-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Adub,
Your first post is frightening on so many levels. heh
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-31-2011, 12:35 PM Reply   
I guess so.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-31-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
I am appalled that anyone would think these "people" have any rights, or a leg to stand on. That is a National Memorial, respect it. What about the people who went there to visit it, and take the awe of it in, only to be delayed and likely have their day ruined by these protesters? What if the law's intent is to keep bums from dancing and doing the subway street performances in there? Who cares, do you really want to see those type of people proving a point at a NATIONAL Monument? They should be arrested and shipped off to fight alongside those that are allowing us to even have the opportunity to go see a National Monument when we want, and those that we enjoyed a National Holiday yesterday because of. We need less trash like those people "dancing". They were like little kids who just got told no, went ahead and did it, and then said they didn't know. But they weren't kids. A law is a law, that should be enough, but there is also TACT, and you don't do stuff like that at a National Monument/Memorial. Efforts could be put forth for much more productive things. I'm glad they are preserving everyone's else right to enjoy the monument in a peaceful and normal manner. They kick kids out of malls for doing that stuff, why would a monument be any different?
I agree. Those jack***** went there to cause problems and they got what they deserve. The lack of respect,and the support for it these days is crazy.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-31-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
Tax dollars at work right there/
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-31-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
If the law is absurd, it should be protested in nonviolent ways. That's how freedom works.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-31-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
with all the issues that face our country, why would someone take the time and energy to protest a law prohibiting dancing at the Jefferson Memorial? I mean, why??
Old    deltahoosier            05-31-2011, 4:50 PM Reply   
It means things are too good in your life if protesting a law for dancing at a memorial is the focus of your life. That is why I attribute most of this crap to spoiled little brats. Where I grew up, you were lucky to put food on the table and enjoy the small things in life. Obviously these people have too much time on their hands and too much money in their pockets.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-31-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
http://www.adamvstheman.com/about

^^ should clear up any questions about their motivations
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-31-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
The fact of the matter is that we are being overrun by inane laws like this that take away all of the little things in life. For anyone to defend the government creating laws like this is insane. Maybe it's the libertarian in me speaking here, but seriously, how can you agree with the government doing stuff like this?

Example, a nut company was shut down by the FDA after they posted on their website the benefits of eating walnuts. Seriously, we're being overlegislated into oblivion by BOTH parties. How can any of you possibly stand up for the government creating ridiculous laws?

And so what if someone wants to dance at the memorial? How is a couple slow dancing with eachother in a public location bothering any of you? Seriously...

When you assault an officer or violently resist arrest, I'm all for the officer beating you down. When you stage a peaceful protest, you should not be violently assaulted in the arrest.

Someone Else,

If protesting the little things like this is what it takes to wake the nation up to the excessive government regulation and control of every little aspect of our lives means that they are immature and spoiled, then I really don't understand you. Aren't you always on about reducing regulation? Because that's what this law represents, overregulation of our personal behavior.

Last edited by wakeboardern1; 05-31-2011 at 6:37 PM.
Old     (wakeskatethis)      Join Date: May 2011       06-01-2011, 8:06 AM Reply   
thanks to the sheeple of america
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klqv9t1zVww
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-01-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardern1 View Post
Example, a nut company was shut down by the FDA after they posted on their website the benefits of eating walnuts. Seriously, we're being overlegislated into oblivion by BOTH parties. How can any of you possibly stand up for the government creating ridiculous laws?
I think you are referring to Diamond Walnuts, which wasn't shut down but was told that Walnuts were considered a drug if they claimed any health benefits. But the point remains the same. The govt is raping the country financially and using it's power to the detriment of the American people.

http://www.fda.gov/iceci/enforcement.../ucm202825.htm
Old    SamIngram            06-01-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
I thought this was interesting....
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-01-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
oh, that's it john. it was a while ago that i read that... pprobably should double check that kind of info before tallking out off my arse like that, haha.
Old    deltahoosier            06-01-2011, 5:28 PM Reply   
Nick,

It means if people were busy doing constructive acts instead of being idiots, these laws would not be on the books. Laws happen because some idiot does something and the rest of us have to pay. I agree, over regulation is well.....over regulation. I don't know why the law is on the books, but I have a feeling that a group of people went out of their way one day to piss a bunch a people off by doing instead of being civil and the local folks passed this law. For example, you would think that people would not throw crap out their car windows right? Why do you think their is a law for littering?
Old     (wakeskatethis)      Join Date: May 2011       06-04-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
Someone Else,

http://youtu.be/A1G8IWgnqFE