Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-28-2011, 2:55 PM Reply   
My wife and I try to eat healthy. The problem is, we get stuck in a rut and seem to cook the same meals week after week. I can honestly say that there have been weeks where we eat the same meal twice because we can't think of something new but healthy to eat. We generally eat a LOT of chicken. Anyone have any recipes that they love but are also healthy that they want to share with me and others?

Mike
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-28-2011, 3:10 PM Reply   
Easy, good fish recipe.

use with nice white fillets like snapper,Mahi, cobia or grouper. I am a fish snob and only eat what I catch.

Preheat oven to 350

Marinate fillets in fresh squeezed orange and lime juice with chopped garlic for about 10 minutes. No longer or the citrus will cook the fish and that is an entirely different recipe!

Use an all stainless or cast iron pan (oven safe)

chop up a few green onions

Get the pan hot, add a little olive oil and sear the fish both sides quickly. Leave whatever citrus and garlic bits stick to the fish.

Top with the onions and stick the pan in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.

easy and very very good.

I have a mutated orange tree I call a "Lorange tree" It makes really bitter fruit that work great for cooking.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-28-2011, 3:12 PM Reply   
Try Spagetti Squash. Throw it in the oven @ 350 for an hour or so (time isn't critical). Then scoop out the inards and mix with butter, garlic and any other spices. You can put sauce over it and eat it like spagetti but without the starch.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-28-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
Im in the same boat. Last night bought the "no salt" seasoning, cut the chicken up into strips put them in a pan to cook seasoned with curry and no salt. Pretty good. First time i ever tried that. Then brown rice and salad with balsamic and olive oil.

A really good one i usedto eat and an alternative to pasta is:

Spagetti Squash with ground turkey and spagetti sauce.
To cook the Squash heres a site (its easy)
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cooking/a/spagsquash.htm

just add the sauce and meat at the end just like spagetti.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-28-2011, 3:17 PM Reply   
oh damn john we think alike
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-28-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
How about shrimp tacos

8 corn or flour tortillas
1 tbsp. oil
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined and
tails removed
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. honey
1½ tsp. Morton & Bassett Mexican Seasoning
Shredded romaine or cabbage, shredded Jack cheese, avocado
slices and fresh pico de gallo
Directions
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 10 minutes Serves: 4

Stir a little Art of Chipotle Chipotle Paste into sour cream for a
spicy topper.

1. Warm tortillas in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or lightly fry
in a small amount of oil until crisp; fold in half.
2. Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add shrimp and cook over
medium-high heat for a minute or two on each side or until mostly
pink. Stir in lime juice, honey and Mexican seasoning; cook for
about 2 minutes more until mixture is thick and glazes shrimp.
3. Spoon into warmed tortillas and top with lettuce, cheese,
avocado and pico de gallo.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-28-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I am going to try them out. Grocery shopping is on Saturday in our house, so it this is good timing for me to plan out what I need to buy. The spaghetti squash sounds money.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-28-2011, 7:06 PM Reply   
Man this just makes me think how boring what I eat is. Seriously my fiance and I have both been eating Chicken, broccoli and rice twice a day almost everyday....
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-29-2011, 5:11 AM Reply   
Im not really a health nut but I do try to eat "well" as in not alot of fast food, but I dont cut out anything. I'm a steak and potatoes guy. I dont mind healthy food, but Ive found that most healthy food tastes like health food.

So, I was at a Christmas party this past year, and it was catered by a local resturaunt. As they were walking around with the trays of finger food, I noticed the "healthy" trend and was beginning to be disappointed. Then a guy came around with what appeared to be filet mignon cubes! EUREKA!!! I thought to myself, "I'm following this guy around all night!" Even at the dimmly lit party it appeared a little undercooked, even for med rare, but tasted fantastic. So much so that I decided to ask how they do it.

me: Im glad you didnt bring all health food. You gotta tell me how you prepped the filet mignon.

chef: We arent serving any

me: Yes you are (pointing to the server)

chef: that is ahi tuna

me: BS!!!!

chef: and its probably the healthiest thing out there

I'm probably late to the ahi tuna steak party, and I dont even really know how healthy it is relative to other "healthy" food, but I love this stuff as much as i do a good steak, and that is saying alot. If all health food tasted like that, we would all be our ideal weight.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-29-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
^^^ lol...good sushi grade ahi tuna is delicious....it's about as expesive as prime filet though. Try rolling a ( ahi) tuna steak in sesame seeds and searing in a bit of oilve oil.

IF your willing to spend $5 this has pretty good recipes.

http://www.anaboliccooking.com/

he has a bunch of his stuff on you tube....some is over the top healthy other stuff is really good.

For b-fast...I like protien pancakes.
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup egg beaters
1 cup quick oats
1/4 low fat baking mix
blend it all in a blender.

that's the base recipe, add sugar free jelly or cinnamon/vanillla/rasins for differnt flavors. I eat them with agave syrup and all nat PB.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-29-2011, 6:34 AM Reply   
some great tuna fish...

24 oz tuna fish
1 roma tomato
1/2 can black olives
1/3 red onion
1 serrano pepper
8-10 ounces greek dressing ( low fat) or I buy Zoes kitchen greeek dressing

http://www.zoeskitchen.com/
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-29-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
oh damn john we think alike
I have to give my wife credit. She's pretty much a vegatarian and always trying stuff. Lately I've been eating things that I would never eat, like beets. She just takes the whole vegies, washes them, throws them on a baking dish with olive oil, garlic, and her "fancy" salt, then puts it in the oven. You just eat the cooked vegies whole (greens and all) and spit out whatever won't chew up. I pretty much have to get my meat at lunch or when we eat out, unless I cook it myself.

I'm not into the "fear the salt" fad. I don't have high blood pressure and no one has even pointed to a single thing wrong with salt except it being bad for high blood pressure. Pretty much any vegie baked in salt and olive oil tastes good to me. Salt is awesome! There I said it.

Recently tried some funky potato like things (malangas) from the hispanic market. Much better texture (smoother and less grainy) than potatoes. Collard greens boiled and then mixed with carmelized onions is tasty and cheap.

Always keep a pineapple around when they are in season and cheap enough. So when I get a hankering for sweets like a bowl of ice cream I can cut up some pineapple instead. My wife is a food Nazi so I have to keep things that are bad for you in a fridge at work.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-29-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
We make this all the time and we find it to be healthy and delicious. Buy whole wheat pizza dough. My wife gets it at Trader Joes. After you have rolled it out spread Pesto Sauce on the dough. Chop up some bell peppers. We use red, green, yellow and orange peppers. Throw on some chopped or shredded chicken. You can chop up some tomatoes if you like. Then put a bunch of fat free feta cheese on top and throw it in the oven. The pizza dough wrapper will let you know the temperature and for how long. We usually keep it in an extra 5 minutes or so. Sometimes we add spinach as well to the pizza.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-29-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
Ahi tuna is amazing. I like to cover it in fresh crushed black pepper a little salt, then sear it on both sides. Slice it 1/4" thick, then soy sauce and wasabi. Delicious.

I'm also huge on olive oil / balsamic vinegar for salads. I love arugula (sp?) with some candied or roasted nuts, cubes of mozerella salt, and pepper. I usually try to use a lemon infused olive oil. Delicious.

We also do a lot of pizza's. Trader Joe's dough is great. Put whatever you want on it.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-29-2011, 8:15 PM Reply   
There is nothing like rare fresh caught tuna. My wife was making fun of me a couple nights ago because I was closing my eyes while chewing it.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-29-2011, 11:28 PM Reply   
Turkey Burgers are a great option. But, they need a bit of help to be interesting....

Simple Option:

Add a chopped bunch of cilantro and few diced japenos.

More Complex Option:

http://www.food.com/recipe/oprahs-fa...-a-lago-401510
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       03-30-2011, 11:52 AM Reply   
this is awesome and has zero oil/ fat

marinade:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup minced ginger
1/4 cup minced garlic
3 scallions chopped

marinate any thick white fish like halibut in this for at least any hour or up to a day. turn on your broiler and move oven rack to the bottom. make sure the fish has a healthy coating of the marinade and cook until a bit of black char forms on the outside of the fish (the corners not the whole thing). all ovens are different, if the fish isnt cooked through turn broiler off and leave fish in for a few minutes, the residual heat will finish it. Serve over sticky rice.
To enhance you can cook the rice in coconut milk or add some rice wine vinegar or sesame oil. this works well with chicken and pork but you have to be careful of burning due to the longer cooking time.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-30-2011, 4:43 PM Reply   
Nice!! You guys are right about the tuna, seriously unreal. I use crushed black pepper light salt and some cayenne, seared. Evan, I'm trying yours next!
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-30-2011, 7:04 PM Reply   
My wife and I are on a health kick, trying to drop weight before an upcoming vacation. Here is what m daily meal plan looks like.

Breakfast:
BIG bowl of GoLean cereal (high fiber...watch out!)

Snack:

-Banana

Lunch:
-Pineapple, cantaloupe, & honeydew melon
-Chicken breast or beef of some sort
-Baby carrots
-Apple

Snack:

-String cheese or

Dinner:

-Smoked chicken breast, BBQ Salmon, Cheeseburger (minus the bun), poached eggs, or steak
- 1/2 cup brown rice (every other night)
- veggies or a fruit smoothie

Obviously my diet is very low in carbs, but this is only a temporary meal plan. I used to eat 4-5 times the 'normal' amount of carbs so I've cut back significantly, and after a few more weeks of dropping pounds I plan on slowly introducing carbs back into my diet.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-31-2011, 5:42 AM Reply   
We usually cook tuna as Evan described. It's also good with horseradish sauce.