Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Tmannsx80)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-09-2011, 5:20 PM Reply   
Hey, was curious if anyone knew what kind of underwater lights Mastercraft uses. Ive been on their website and proshop but like many things they dont tell you. Thanks for the help!!!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-09-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
They look like Abyss A600's.
Check the undewater light thread for side by side test results and pics
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-10-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
They are Abyss 600's Grants correct. I have them and like them alright but there are much brighter options out there.
Old     (Tmannsx80)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-10-2011, 5:43 PM Reply   
@Pain- Better options with the same company or a different company. Thanks for the info!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2011, 6:06 PM Reply   
Abyss make a great light. The A 600 is the entry level light. It put's out light but not what I would call enough its a great light for a stock boat. Abyss make the A 1206 that puts out a bit more light but its also bigger. The beam is narrow for my taste. The Abyss 1515 is what I would call a light. Its pretty big and it uses a external power supply/ballast Its about the size of your exhaust port and it throws alot of light. If it was me this is the only Abyss I would play with. It throws a nice wide beam. All the Abyss stuff is very very well made.

Abyss came out with 2 new lights That I would like to test the L800 and the S 1800 The L 800 is a length wise light Like the Shadow Caster SC-10 Its also designed to have a low profile and be (fluid dynamic) it was made to be side mounted on sail boats but would work great at the back of a transom. I don't know anything about the S1800.

Depending on the size of your transom and the amount of light you want there are quite a few options.
Old     (Tmannsx80)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-10-2011, 8:38 PM Reply   
Thanks Grant Ive got an x-80 so the transom is pretty big but thats besides the point, I have 10 1 watt leds back there right now and its cool nothing crazy but still cool at night. i saw your boat at bump and i def dig it. While its still winter i wanna take the leds all off, have the transom re gel coated and then I want to find eith 2 or 4 lights that put out some crazy light. Pictures can be very deceiving like on mastercrafts website thats why I had asked about them. But i will continue to research and take a look at those abyss new lights. Thanks
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2011, 9:28 PM Reply   
The Abyss 1515's are very close to the same light output of the Shadow Caster SC10. I like the Shadow Casters over the Abyss for a few reasons. I thought they had more light and the beam was wider. The shadow casters are thinner so you could stack them one on top of the other and still be shorter than the height of the 1515's If you were thinking of running 4 of them you should think about angling them in away that the beam spreads out all the way around and wraps around the boat
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-11-2011, 7:35 AM Reply   
In addition to several other brands we use both the Abyss and ShadowCaster underwater lights and would highly recommend either. Each transom is a little different in the available space and even the contour of the surface so our selection process is generally driven by the individual application.
I can tell you that the brightness of some lights are managed at a level below the full capability of their LEDs for the purpose of long term preservation in order to control the heat build up when the boat is on plane and the lights are out of the water.
Fewer quantity of brighter lights will achieve greater penetration over more quantity of less bright lights even when the collective power is equal. Quantity mostly comes into play for wider or seamless distribution. Controlling the underwater depth of light mounting or compensating for a downward transom angle with polymer contour blocks will greatly impact the light projection.
Just a few basic tips.
David
Earmark Marine
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-11-2011, 9:09 AM Reply   
I agree, The angle of how you mount the lights can help. Example if you just surface mount a light on the back of a transom and your V drive boat sits Transome heavy you could be loosing light because the angle of how the light shines into the water. I have found the that angle that the light enters the water is very wide with the shadow caster. A Tip Take the light that your going to use and put it in the water Start turning it downward till you start to loos light on the surface of the water and then go back a few degree's This will give you the best of both. Your light will be shining down to light the bottom of shallow bottom and still give you light on the surface. But most people wont go that far
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-11-2011, 12:00 PM Reply   
If you are intereseted in being able to change the colors of your transom ligth Abyss also offers the S1560 and a DMX contoller. Its basicall the 1515 but with RGB's.
Old     (Tmannsx80)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-11-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
Wow Thats alot of good info, im def going to take angle and everything into account when i set the lights up. I guess now its just pick one brand or the other. I appreciate everyones info. Well i guess first things first is to getthe transom re gel coated. Question- any one think of anything you could put on the transom or underneath the swim deck to maybe help prjec the light as well. Just a thought. Thanks
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-11-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
In this thread you can kinda see how we came up with the under water light bar http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716011

You could make somthing like this for the back of your X80, and make it adjustable so you could get the right angle. Another bonus is you don't have to drill anymore holes into the back of your boat and if you sell your boat you can choose to take your lights with you. When you start buying 3 or 4 $500 dollar light's you have quite a investment back there.
Attached Images

Old     (Tmannsx80)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-12-2011, 4:45 PM Reply   
This is kinda what im working with right now as far as lights. But i get the idea behind what your doing .

Photobucket
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-13-2011, 3:33 AM Reply   
For anyone who is looking at doing multiples of the 1 watt LED underwater lights, the early versions of those totally wiped out RF, and FM in particular. I don't know if this has been resolved. Also, with aluminum housings I wouldn't trust them long term when used underwater. Just an FYI.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-13-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
David: LOL that's pretty strange. I wonder how long it took you to figure this out. That would suck to install some lights on someones boat only to figure out all the work you did has to be re done. Thanks for the FYI
Old     (Tmannsx80)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-13-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
Well I've had them on for about a year with no problems, but I understand what your saying. It shoots out about 10ft out but my issue is I just want a crap load more light and only 2-4 housings on the back not ten! :-)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-13-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
Grant,
Yes sir. Powered them up and they immediately killed the test bench radio. Checked and they wiped out the FM on every boat in the shop. Powered down the lights and all FM was restored. I'm not sure about other forms of wireless communication. Many people use ipods exclusuvely on their boats and wouldn't realize the issue. Perhaps this product has been revised since two seasons ago but we never returned to the product again to try.

David
Earmark Marine