Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (LazyDaze06)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-14-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
Old dude needs help learning to do 180 turn and 360. Any tips woudl be greatly appreciated.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
OLDER DUDE back at you . it's all body position and handle movement. lean away from the line slightly and move handle from front hip waist height close to body across waist to rear hip while keeping even weight on legs until complete.then weight back leg .
Old     (Eden)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-14-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
do you mean surface 360 or wake to wake?
Old     (LazyDaze06)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-14-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
surface
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
The 360 is just adding a handle pass behind your back .pull the handle palm up to the middle of your back with your lead hand reach around your back with your back hand and keep leaning slightly away from the line to keep leading edge out of the water and bring back hand around your waist to your belly button and grab handle with lead hand now botth hands are on handle.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-14-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
That's easier said than done! I can turn a backside powerslide with my left arm ( can turn all the way 180 wrapped & back )but do not have the strength in my right arm to do so. SO, when the handle comes around your back to you trailing arm & you have not built enough strength by riding switch It's hard to hold on. As long as you ride allot switch it should not be a problem. I just noticed that deficiency when I started getting tendinitis in by lead arm from pulling myself out of bad spots instead of letting go. the strange thing is I'm right handed & have always been stronger with that arm!
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-14-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
I used to think handle pass moves on the surface required strength like David Miller. That is not true.

The trick is all about the lead shoulder. So if riding regular drive your left shoulder down and to the right and you will find it super easy to grab the handle.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-14-2010, 3:52 PM Reply   
OH, I can grab it just have a hard time hanging on to it after..
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
ANOTHER trick they showed me at the wakeboard camp is to lean towards the boat and let only your lead hand be on the rope.then by pulling with your body bending at the waist away from the boat. you create slack making it easy to rotate around to your back hand or you can pull with both arms to get the slack . i find the 1st way easier.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-14-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
I'm surprised no one has suggested taking off fins from the board
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-14-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
yea actually the strength portion is very little, more body position, movement, handle control.

As Jason said first thing if you have fins take em off, it will be a world easier. Also it really depends on the board. Some boards just break free super easy and are nice and skatey in neutral. Others are super locked in making it much harder.
Old     (Eden)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-14-2010, 9:07 PM Reply   
Here are my recommendations...

Take off your fins
Edge out hard heelside into the flats
flatten out the board and initiate the spin... there should be little or no line tension
try a backside 180 first and wrap the handle to the nape of your back
once firm, then try the handle pass...
Old     (LazyDaze06)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-15-2010, 6:42 AM Reply   
Thanks, you guys all rock.; I really appreciate the tips. I'll try it this weekend on the Mississippi, pool 14 and let you know how bad I did ! haha.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2010, 3:17 AM Reply   
Brian, get a Roam! I learned all my surface tricks on a Roam.
Old     (mdvalant)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-16-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
Best help I've gotten:

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...tside-360.html

Sorry, use this when youre ready for wake to wake 3's lol

Pook 14...are you up by the mississippi black hawks prairie D area?

Last edited by mdvalant; 07-16-2010 at 8:26 AM.
Old     (LazyDaze06)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-16-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
We put in at Green Gables Marina or Port Byron and run up to Princeton Beach and ski in the slough. Dunno where Prairie D is.
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-16-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
Here you go,... from one old dude to another.

I am 56 yrs old 6' and a smidge and weigh "about" 225 lbs.

Here is a video clip of a surface 360 on a Hyperlite Roam.
The first part is regular speed the second is in SLOW-MO.
(Slow-Mo means Slow Missouri)

Maybe this will help to see it in slow motion.

Granted it is alot easier to do on a "finless" board like the Roam but I have done it on
a CWB Sol and LF Rhythm with the fins removed as well.

Taking the fins off of the board makes it very loose for surface tricks.

Regards,
The Geeze

Old     (LazyDaze06)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-19-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
I wound up practicing my wake jumps and never got to spins after a wipeout. Question - I think I read that your board should be able to come off in a wipeout but my board has velcro straps on the ankle that prevents this from happening. I have a Body Glove Hydroslide. Should I use the straps or not.

Dennie- I don't see the video link.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-19-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
No Brian, you do not want your board to come off during a wipeout. There will be a few people that say it is better, but my contention is that you are better off taking a hard fall staying in your board than if only one foot ejects. One foot in, one foot out crashes easily result in injuries that require surgery and months of rehab.
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-21-2010, 6:47 PM Reply   
Sorry Brian,
I embedded the video in my post but must not be working right.
Here is the youtube link of a surface 360 on my Roam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpAFZ_uqIQI
regards,
The Geeze
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
brian i have a roam it is great for surface tricks but even better for checking your body position and edging technique.i would highly recommend one. you can get older out of date one usually a hundred or less.