Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-20-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
2004 Malibu Wakesetter XTI - has a wedge and MLS balast...

Thinking I need a 250lbs to 400lbs in front, then a 900lbs or so for the side the rider is on - but obviously I'm looking for some help, cause I dunno what to do with the stock balast and wedge!

Any advice would be great - my wife got me a nice surf board but since i'm a direct drive I feel like I cant get a decent looking wake to do it justice!

Thanks in advance!
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-20-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
Buy more ballast, is the only thing I can say right now. I've got near 3000lbs in my boat. While yours hopefully doesn't take that much to make a great wave, you should still expect to be around 2000lbs of ballast.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-20-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
Clayton, my Sanger D215 is the same layout as your XTI. It has a deeper V at the transom though. Sangers normally like more weight forward than Malibus do.
I run 500# in the ski locker forward and a 300# bag in the rear ski locker behind the rear seat. I then add a 150# brick to shift from side to side at the rear. I need more weight than that, but with people in the boat I can get a clean wake on either side. For me the trick has been to make sure there is enough list in the hull. Having someone watch from the tower as they stand on the gunnel is a big help. You have the ability to put more weight in the back with people and ballast than a v-drive can.
I hope that helps.
Old     (turkish)      Join Date: May 2008       02-20-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
Hi Clayton, i've got a wakesetter LXI (same as response LXI just has a different badge) that i've finally figured out how to surf behind. You should have the wake hull on your boat so it should be a little kinder to you in producing the wave. I can surf mine with 2 x 550lbs in the surf side corner (before the ski locker) the MLS full and wedge down (ideally i'd put another 550 in the observer locker to get a bit more weight forward and list). The wave was small with a short pocket but i only had 2 people on board when my turn came around. Before that (with my 220lbs and another 220lb'er) leaning off the side of the boat at the tower we were getting a clean looking 3ft wave so Andrew and Art are spot on - weight and list!
It is a bit disheartening when you look at the waves that surfdad and jamesz are getting but when you figure out the setup that works you can have just as much fun - even though i'd love to get barrelled in my wake like Jamesz.
Another thing we found with our boat is the effect being off and then on the plane has. At 11mph off the plane the wave is a bit higher but nearly impossible to ride. speeding up initially, getting the boat on the plane, then backing down to 11mph makes a huge difference to the rideable pocket but lowers the wave height a bit.
Hope its not too confusing, it's taken me a few posts on this forum and a couple of months to get it right so good luck, and remember its just a bit more of a challenge to make the DD wave look good.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-22-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
Start off by weighting the boat with the 60/40 combo and then shift the VAB ballast around the boat to adjust the wake. It takes time to get the wake the best it can be, take your time plan a day to just tweak it, shift your VAB, vary the speed with each weight change and you will find the right set up. I also suggest that you video each change, start by having the person with the camera explain the setup in detail and then video the action for at least a minute or two. This way when you return home after a day of making a ton of different changes you can review all the footage and decide what was the best set up to start with the next time you are out. Also do not stop working at it as soon as the wake looks ok, you might be one or two adjustments away for the best wake the boat can produce.

Borrow some sacs and try this, all MLS full except for the side you are not riding on. On the Port fill a 400 lb. sac on the floor right in from of the corner seat against the rail, then stack a second one on top of it all the way to the back of the boat, sitting on the corner seat, next add a 400 lb. to the bow as far forward as possible on the surf side, start out at around 10.5 mph and see what it looks like, vary your speed and move your VAB (Verbally Activated Ballast) around as needed. Do everything the same on the starboard side, including moving the bow sac to the starboard side, for the rear sacs put one 400 lb. under the seat as full as possible then put the other 400 lb. on top of the seat, you might need a 150 lb. brick to get it where you want to be.

Post some pics of the Wake.