Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mnwake404)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 3:58 PM Reply   
I am going to purchase my first wakesurf board tomorrow, and need some help with deciding what to get. I have an 05 Malibu VLX with stock ballast, planning on adding maybe a 500lbs fat sack to the rear port. I weigh about 150lbs but plan to use this board with most of my friends beginner to advanced weighing around 150-200.

For boards, I have ridden a Coex 4'4", an Oogle, and an obrien alias 5'0". The oogle was too fishy for me, and I want something with a little more rail. The Coex 4'4" was fun, but I think a little on the small side especially for once you do let go of the handle, bigger guys, and beginners. I liked the Alias 5'0" but maybe want something just a little big smaller.

The boards I am looking at are the custom 4'10", prop 4'6", or the broadcast 4'9". I would go pull the trigger on the 4'10" custom because I really like the construction and have heard some good things about it, but ive also heard its more "surf" feel and not designed for any spins? Also would the 4'10" be too big? thanks in advance!
Old    surfdad            05-30-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
Hey Michael, maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure what it is you're asking. Are you looking for a board that is good for 200 pound newbies, but is also performance oriented? IMO, a board that is suitable for teaching 200 pound newbies, typically isn't considered a performance board. Am I missing the question?

The 4'10" custom will spin surface three's we watched Strat at the AZ contest do 2 back-to-back.
Old     (mnwake404)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
Im looking for more of an all around board, one that I can go out and push myself, but people can get up for the first time on. I guess 70% performance 30% begginer, if that makes any sense.
Old    surfdad            05-31-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
My personal preference for teaching is a bigger more stable board. Especially as folks get bigger. It's not in your list, but would you consider a true thruster design? The reason I ask, is that when you remove the trailer fin, you can loosen up the feel of the board, replacing the trailer fin will cause the board to track straighter. Also, many boards that come in a thruster design will allow you to swap fins out. Drop in a set of 4.5" fins and the board will ride straight as an arrow, swap those out with 3.25" fins, possibly dropping the trailer and it will be easy to slide the tail for things like a lip slide.

If that seems like too much of a PITA...if you didn't like the feel of the Oogle, I would think the Prop would be just MORE of that same feeling. I've heard folks say the Broadcast works well for them in teaching, and messing with the fin configuration (as I mentioned above) might give you the best of both worlds.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-31-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
500 extra pounds on a VLX works really well.

I've done about every fin change up on the Broadcast 5.6 that's possible. I've been working on trying to pull off a 3 - I suck. Last week I pulled the big center fin off the Broadcast and tried a 3 with just the two outer fins. Compared to the Inland Surfer Blue and Yellow the Broadcast was remarkably hard to spin.

I have had good success teaching people how to wakesurf on the Broadcast. I've found that both the IS Yellow and Blue are better for first timers. I don't think your going to push your self on a Broadcast but it can be a good teaching board and it fits in a board rack.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       06-01-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
I am 272 pounds and I use a Inland surfer blue. It is very fast even for my fatness
Old     (mnwake404)      Join Date: May 2007       06-03-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
I went with the liquid force custom 4'10" and I love it! My choices were either phase five boards or liquid force ones for wakesufers because I got a huge discount from the shop that I bought my boat from. I also went out and got three 520lbs fat sacs. So far only put one in the back compartment the side the persons surfing on, and it made a huge difference!
Old     (bra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-30-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
We make wakesurfboards. They are made just like a regular surfboard. Check out our website www.ghettohouseglassing.com