Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-22-2006, 11:12 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

I've been kind of digging around here looking for my local battery supplier of either Rolls Surrette or Trojan batteries. During my quest I ended up at the Sportsman Warehouse as it turns out they are my local Trojan dealer. Well they didn't want to mess w/ ordering this many batteries in and Sooo I ended up getting a call from the Trojan sales rep for my area. To make a long story short... I have the opportunity to pick up their L16H battery for $180 if anyone is interested. This is the largest capacity 6V on the market and one of the best as far as I can tell, until you get into the $1000 surrett's.

You'd have to either arrange freight or come pick them up in OK. This battery retails between $250 to $280 and if your building a large bank of batteries it's a heck of a deal. I thought I'd pass on the savings, so if anyone is interested, lmk!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-23-2006, 6:38 AM Reply   
the thing about the L16H is that is very tall and extremly heavy (120lbs) your very limited at where you can put a batery like that. I would haev gone with that, but just moving it into positon woudl be next to impossible in my storage compartment, let alone even getting it in there. But still a great deal.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-23-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
I looked up this batt up. The price that I saw on the Internet was $283. So Tanner's price of $180 is a sweet deal.

885 Minute Capacity at 25amps
225 Minute Capacity at 75amps
345 AH at 5Hr Rate
420 AH at 20Hr Rate**
Dimensions: L11(5/8) x W7 x H16(3/4)
Weight 121 lbs

That battery is a beast!

**The AH rate at 20Hr is one of the more common ratings on batteries and is useful for comparison. It basically says that the battery can deliver 21amps for 20 hours. Quite impressive.

*Another thing to note is that these numbers do not double when you add the second battery. These specs are at 6v, so when you add a second battery in series and run them at 12v, your specs stay the same.

Hey Adam, have you ever had a problem with your T105's leaking, since you're not running them in a box?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-23-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
Craig, nope no problems with my batteries leaking, while there not in a box they are held down in a tray made of 1/2 inch resin coated plywood. I usually check the condition of the batteries once a month. I've had these for about a year now. Haven't even had to add a drop of water either. They've been zero maint. for me thus far. I used to work at a golf course as a kid and we never had issues with trojan batteries and we put our gold carts thru hell, I'll plead the 5th on what we used to do to them after hours but the batteris are heavy duty.

I can run my system (approx 2500 watts RMS) at "loud " avg. volume 25 out of 35 for approx 8-9 hours and the batteries are down to roughly 50-60% capacity...voltage is reading 12.0 (with dips to 11.9) on the t-105's.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on June 23, 2006)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-23-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
so to get this rating craig posted you need 2" 121 lb battery's
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-23-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
heh....So Adam, you're saying that a Trojan battery doesn't leak when inverted?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-23-2006, 8:11 AM Reply   
Craig, I'll plead the fith, but the seat and bracing will keep the batteries from falling out of a golf cart on its side.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-23-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
WTF kind of activity are you guys elluding to? I've never done anything crazy with golf cart batteries ... :-)
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-23-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Adam is correct... the only reason I'm looking at the L16H's instead of the T-105's is they are basically two T-105's. Since the T-105's are 65lbs if I remember right, they are basically the same weight in your boat. Not to mention although they are taller... they both have close to the same width and you'd need two 105's to equal the L16H... thus eating up your room very quickly.

Now of course like Adam said handling the suckers is a pain in the butt. One person can do it, but two people are better. I know 120 lbs doesn't seem like much, but when ur working in a tight space it gets tough quick.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-23-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
Hey adam, I sent u an e-mail.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-23-2006, 10:55 PM Reply   
Tanner,

I'm not sure by your post, but it seems like you're alluding to using one L16h instead of two T-105's?

If that is correct, the problem is that the L16h is a 6 volt battery, so you'll need two in series to make 12v.

The T105 is a 225AH 6v battery. The L16H is a 420AH 6v battery. If you ran two T105s in Parallel, you'd have 450AH, but still only 6v. If you ran them in series, you'd have 225AH @ 12v.

One L16H is good for 450AH @ 6v. Two in series are good for 450AH @ 12v.

Perhaps I'm confused - I just did a Raley to heal side edge crash with broken board. My head is kind of dingy right now.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-26-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Well craig, you sort of understood me. I did allude to that... but I was referring to the situation like me, that you might need more amp hours than just the two T-105's will provide you with, thus causing you to need more batteries. That's why I was saying if you can get away w/ one battery that is the size (reserve capacity) of two of the others and still keep the overall size smaller, minus the height.

For instance I am looking at running 4 of the L16H's creating two seperate 12volt strings and then taking these two strings, stacking the cables and putting the four batteries ALSO in a series. Thus giving me my 12 volt system but also giving me the added capacity of the 4 batteries. Where as it would take me 8 of the T-105's to do this. I never thought you could stack the cables like this (using a parallel and series connection on the same post), but Trojan's engineer assured me you could.

Something that might need to be mentioned is that Adam is running his batteries tied in to his electrical system using his upgraded (110) alternator to charge the batteries. While that is a viable solution. I am totally pulling the batteries off of my electrical system so that I don't kill my alternator. Just two different ways of achieving the same purpose but to meet different needs and wants.

(Message edited by Tanner on June 26, 2006)