Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (y49sides)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-31-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
Is it really necessary to disconnect the batteries while in storage for a few months (4 or 5)?
I have just always though it was the right thing to do.
However, this is the purpose of a perko switch. To cut all power to the boat in the off position. Other than trickle charging them while in storage and maybe piece of mind, I don't see any reason to disconnect if you have a perko switch.
Anyone agree?
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-31-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
I didn't know there was a question here. Perko switches do that job.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-31-2009, 3:10 PM Reply   
Temperature. If it gets cold where your boat is stored, then it'll cut the batteries life short.
Old     (y49sides)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-31-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
I agree that is what a perko switch if used for. I was just asking to see if anyone else would have a reason to still disconnect the batteries.
Old     (y49sides)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-31-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
Bill. Agreed. That would be a reason to actually just remove the batteries. Not sure that just disconnecting them in cold weather storage would help their life.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-31-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
I don't think batteries are hurt by cold weather (just don't work as well when they are cold). Batteries are killed by heat.

How difficult is it to unhook the neg cable? I don't trust the perko to have absolutely no drain.

You should take the batteries out and trickle charge or charge them once a month if you want them to last longer.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-31-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
A few years ago I would have agreed with you Todd. Living in Seattle for years & I never did anything but cover the boat & put them on a trickle charger. But living in the Spokane area the last 5 yrs & I've gone thru quite a few batteries. An Optima blue top in the boat died this summer after seeing -8 last winter. I've lost two in the ATV in the last two winters. One time I actually saw it get slushy.... it never recovered.
I don't know the facts, but I know that my boat & ATV batteries seem to have lasted longer when they are stored in an insulated garage that only sees lows in the 40s.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-31-2009, 5:24 PM Reply   
I disconnect my negative cable every time I put my boat away.
Not too hard to loosen one wing nut...
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-31-2009, 7:18 PM Reply   
I have always been told the cold weather is not bad on batteries as long as they are fully charged. If they get low on charge they will freeze. I don't know if this is true, but I just leave mine hooked up to the onboard charger.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-02-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
I have both left the batteries in and connected and have pulled them both out and it seems like the batteries discharged at a faster rate when I left them in. I have 2 optima blue tops and a perko switch. I thought that was a feature of a perko switch but in my case it was not. When I pulled them, I had very little loss.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-03-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
ajholt is correct: A battery will not freeze, as long as it stays charged. So, if you leave it in, put it on a trickle charger. Otherwise take it out and store it in a warm location. A battery will lose charge even if it's not hooked to anything. Especially when it's cold.

And, this will probably come up, but putting batteries on a concrete floor has no effect on them (old wives tale).