Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-22-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
Anybody use their X5 as a tow vehicle? I'm curious how they'd do. Also, I'm curious what the factory tow set-up is like. I think it's a dealer addition. I don't think I've ever seen one factory installed. How about trailer wiring?

I'd imagine the air suspension would be a plus for the added tongue weight.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-22-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
they have air susp.? I thought rovers were the only ones.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-22-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
rear end has an air leveling suspension. i bought mine to tow. the dealer told me the tow set up would cost me $1k. and they were vague about the 6,000 lb towing capacity. i have an X-Star, w trailer, just shy of 6000lbs. i tow once in the spring and then in once in the Fall. so i use my GFs expedition... which i am doing this saturday...seems the x-5 would be great though.
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-22-2009, 5:18 PM Reply   
New Denali's and Escalade's have air leveling suspension also.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-22-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
Touareg V8 with Air Ride suspension is a great tow vehicle...

You can pick up a 05-08 for cheap! Luxury and blows the X-5 hands down! Built like a "truck" not a glorified car.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-22-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-22-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
x-5 not a truck? really? are you thinking of the x-3?
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-22-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
Ask a mechanic and compare the two as they are built. Look at the nuts/bolts used.. brakes, axles etc.
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-22-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
I tow with my X5 everyday of the summer and Ive had no problems in the city, highway, or on the ramp as long as you have decent tires on it. Normally I only tow 2 miles and its perfect, but ill tow it down to Austin 20-30min highway and it does fine
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-22-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
my business partner has a Porsche Cayenne. i prefer my x-5 hands down. to each their own. cant wait for the x-5 M . 550 HP... doesnt look like they made room for a trailer hitch though. btw, my 1st truck was in 1978, a GMC Jimmy. that was a real truck. been driving trucks ever since. X-5 is the best ive ever owned
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-23-2009, 4:01 AM Reply   
Not sure if you're aware or this would be an option, but there is a diesel version of the X5 now (35d), it has less horsepower than the 4.8, but more torque. It's actually cheaper than the 4.8 too. Towing capacity is rated the same for both. If I were looking for a new tow vehicle, I'd definitely look into the diesel. It may be more difficult to find someone with towing experience on the diesel though as it hasn't been out long. I do know the 3 series diesel gets much better fuel economy than the 35mpg EPA rating though, so I'd imagine the SUV will too. My buddy is a BMW tech and said the 335d's are getting 45-50 mpg highway. I'd imagine you could get over 30 not towing with the X5 version.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-23-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
I'm sure at least a few of you guys know that I am a BMW tech. I love the X5's. They're really fun to drive and I can get a great deal on one. I've been thinking of getting my wife another car and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Q7 or a X5. I think I'm leaning toward the X5 as it's a bit sportier. I was just curious how they'd tow. They're really built pretty stout. I've never seen any driveline failure aside from one abused transfer case and a front driveshaft. Otherwise they're pretty bomb proof.

I do like the Toureg/Cayenne. I've heard they're they're great, but my wife's done with VW's and I don't think I have the equipment to work on Porsches here at the shop. I'm not sure if the VW and Porsche use the same operating systems. I do have the VAG diagnostic equipment.

Either way... I've toyed with the idea of getting rid of my F250 and using something smaller to tow with. I rarely tow further than to/from the launch ramp. I'd have to have something that had some capability if I decided to take it on a longer haul, though.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-23-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
We looked at a couple X5's before we bought the 540i we had for a while. There is barely enough room for a trip to the grocery store behind the back seats, and they weigh 5000 lbs - just 300 lbs less than a Tahoe.
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-23-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
I have a 2006 touareg V10 diesel and the x5 is no comparison to the touareg. The x5 is a 5 series bmw on stilts.
Old     (noles_fan)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-23-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 X5 4.4 and tow my 210 SANTE and used to tow my old Supra Launch 21 with it. Based on my experiences it does ok, you know your boat is back there when you are driving but I think it has more than enough power to do the job.

I added the hitch setup when I bought it; retail on it is about $600 if I remember right. One thing to keep in mind is BMW has had problems over the last few months supplying hitches to dealerships, so you might want to make sure you can get one before you buy an X5.

Upload
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-23-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
I've towed a 5000 pound dump trailer with a 4500 pound tractor inside the trailer with no issue. If you do buy a touareg, make sure to get the air suspension.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-23-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
sorry nick i would rather have my x-5. as i said earlier, to each there own, it's like mastercraft vs malibu....
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-23-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
I've got no hard feelings, I'll keep my x-star too. Bring your X5 up offroad with us and see how it really is.

(Message edited by linder on April 23, 2009)
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-23-2009, 9:43 PM Reply   
lol, my off roading days are long gone. no time. thats what i did in 1978 with the GMC Jimmy. and i live in the mountains now...
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-23-2009, 10:12 PM Reply   
I have the same question... i have a 23LSV and i have been trying to figure out if i can get away with a new X5 35d.. but i think its boarderline. Second choice is a toss up between the Q7 TDI and the Touareg TDI(v6) twins which come out this month. The VW seems like the safest bet since its has a transfer case and has the highest tow rating... but the x5 is a lot of fun to drive. I have an 08 Armada w/ air susp and i don't even know the boat is back there... but i would really like to drive something a bit smaller since this is my dd.

(Message edited by gregtay on April 23, 2009)
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-24-2009, 5:57 AM Reply   
I've heard good things about the new TDI Touareg with the 6 cly engine.. obviously the V10 even used is the cream of the crop!

We've never had issues with our V8 and the milage aint all that bad on the new 08... FSI has really improved fuel economy... 100 ltr tank can get 700km'a on a tank of highway driving... no towing of course... towing you are looking at about 450kms..

The pepper is about 80% of the same parts as the Touareg... but Touareg is $20k cheaper and maintenance is far more reasonable.. then again no Snob appeal
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-24-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
I wouldn't tow a 23 foot ski boat with an x5, risky to say the least. Greg your best bet will be a touareg with air suspension. The touaregs are a blast to drive and I think you'd be very happy.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-24-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
From what I understand the Q7 shares the chassis with a Toureg. I know they share some of the motors, too.

Hmmmm, I've gone back and forth on this one for a while. My F250 is really the ultimate tow vehicle. Everytime I haul with it I love it, but it just isn't often enough. I'd love to get down to a small SUV and a car. I've never been a 2 car family, but it's been a goal of mine. LOL!!

I'm curious why you guys say you wouldn't tow with a X5, but you would with a Toureg. The stats are almost the same in terms of horsepower and wheel base. I know the X5 has plenty of power and brakes. What gives?
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-24-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
I initially agreed with the "don't tow a 23' boat with an X5".. but if you look at the specs below the X5 is bigger and more powerful. Yes.. its more "car like".. but it does have a longer wheelbase, is heavier and more powerful.. which was suprising. (both have air suspension as an option... hard to find on the VW) I still think the VW is a better for towing.. but if the VW can do it then i am guessing the X5 can as well. The Q7 is the largest (longer wheelbase and heavier) of the 3 and shares the same drivetrain as the VW minus the transfer case (which is sure a nice thing to have for steep ramps!.. but with the low end trq of the TDIs I am guessing you would be okay

X5 35d / Touareg TDI
Standard Engine / 3.0L 265 hp / I6 3.0L 221 hp
Horsepower / 265 / 221
Torque (lb-ft) / 425 @ 1750 RPM / 407
Curb Weight / 5225 / 5130
Wheelbase (in.) / 115.50 / 112.40
Length (in.) / 191.10 / 187.20
Width (in.) / 76.10 / 75.90

(Message edited by gregtay on April 24, 2009)
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-24-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
Looking at those specs side by side, knowing the towing capacity of the VW is so much higher than the BMW just makes me think BMW didn't re-rate the towing capacity yet for the X5-35d. I would think the brakes on the BMW are just as good as those on the VW. If I had to go to one vehicle, I'd be looking hard at both, like my car too much though.
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-24-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
I've been told there are no V8 Touareg's with air suspension available in my area (And i don't think they are making any more V8... dropping it for the TDI.) The new TDI's they have coming in are all the same.. with no Air Suspention. grr. so.. they do have a V10 TDI that the owner has been driving.. 19Kmiles that they will sell me. If i could get the V10 for sweet deal i might take it.. but it would have to be a SWEET deal.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-24-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
Anybody been price shopping the X5-35d, yet?

I know the dealers are slinging deals right now, but I'm curious if those'll be carrying a premium still being a diesel. I know the Toureg diesels were hard to get when they came out.
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-24-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
Touaregs are built more truck like compared to the X5. The tow rating is 7700 pounds and a tongue weight of 770 pounds, where as the X5 is 6000 pounds. The touareg is engineered to deal with tougher stuff, hence it has real locking diffs.

The new v6 tdis can be ordered with air suspension as well as the 2009 V8s.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-24-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
you know, i am getting the strangest feeling Nick doesnt like the BMW x-5....
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-24-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
I have been shopping the new 35d... they aren't moving off the lots... nothing is moving off BMW's lot right now. The 35d loaded up is $63K (or $66K w/ sport option.) Base model (no options) is $52K. You need the 3rd row seat option to get the rear air suspension (lame-o.)

BMW is offering 2.9% for 60m or a lease (for an 35D Premium pack) for $659/ish+tax+blah blah. Gov't will give you a credit ofr $1500 for buying it since it is a clean TDI.

The dealers are willing to lower the price about the same amount as they will on an X5 3.0. Best deal is clearly a 4.8.. they can't move those at all.
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-24-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
oh.. and Touaregs are not selling AT ALL... lots of 08's left over... 0% for 60 mo. and they still can't move them. Most dealers are taking $15K off the MSRP on all Touaregs in stock... so it's certainly a deal.
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-24-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
"The new v6 tdis can be ordered with air suspension as well as the 2009 V8s."

True.. but you can't order one at the moment... Each dealer is getting one White/Sienna TDI... all of them are optioned exactly the same (no air susp.) AFter that dealers get what they are sent... no custom orders yet. :-S. At least that is what i have been told.

Oh.. and another crazy thing.. the Q7 TDI can not be ordered with air susp. It is simply not an option for the TDI..you have to get the V8. ;-S TDI=GREAT TOWING=NEED AIR SUSPENSION!
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-24-2009, 6:59 PM Reply   
you mentioned in an earlier post, the X5 is a lot of fun to drive. and i agree, and i am an ex Pro race car driver. was on the same circuit with paul newman in the 80s. have you driven the others? also, do they give free maintenance?
Old     (claudiub)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-25-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
I tow with a 4.6is with OEM hitch (check my profile picture), rear air suspension and really really fat rear tires (315) and sometimes I forget about the boat, I have to check my rearview mirror often. I've towed my Supra 21V with two other trucks (a huge diesel Dodge and a Chevy) and within 5 minutes I already missed my X... When you don;t tow, the X5 is really fun to drive. I'm also looking forward to the new X5 M, I hope I'll be able to install an OEM hitch on it...
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-25-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
now we are talking. i cant wait for the X5 M either. though from the pics i have seen, it doesnt look good for a trailer hitch...we shall see though
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
I've actually tracked a X5 before. When they first came out we ran one at Buttonwillow. We even threw a set of Hoosiers on it for the fun of it. Probably not advised, but it was a lot of fun. It's definitely a fun ride. I've run down a couple sport bikes in the twisties with them before, too.

I wont argue quality. I think the Toureg is top notch, but there's just something fun about driving the X5. It's the most car like SUV I've driven. Sounds like the deals are out there right now, too. I wish I could swing keeping the F250 and getting a X5 4.8, but it aint gonna happen.

Michael, I never raced pro, but I've got a SCCA driving championship and 14 years of BMWCCA driving school instructing under my belt. It's killing me to be car-less right now.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-26-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
wow, i joined the BMW CCA in 1980. which led to driving schools, which led to skip barber, then SCCA... i was invited by BMW to the NY Giants stadium to test drive the X5 when it came out. it was january, they had ice pads, autocross, etc. i won fastest time of the day on the autocross my 1st time behind the X5. I still have the trophy. and i have run down just about everything. love my X5...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-27-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
Rad.... Good times. You've got me beat on years for sure. I was 2 years old in 1980. I started instructing with the club when I was 17. At that point I was the youngest instructor to date. We had a couple brothers come up a few years ago. The youngest brother beat me. He started at 16.

I've kinda fazed out the instructing a bit. I'm pretty hooked on wakeboarding these days. I'll probably get back into it, though. Every time I instruct I get the itch to race again which probably isn't in the cards till after kids.
Old     (noles_fan)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
Check out http://www.xoutpost.com, it used to be called X5 World. It has some really good information on the X3, X5, and X6. I found it really helpful when I was looking for mine.

So far I have been really impressed with mine; about the only thing I don't like is the trunk size. Plus the 4.4 drives a little rougher when compared to the 3.0, however the extra power is really nice when you need to jump on it or when pulling something.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-29-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
ty, just went to that site. awesome!