Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-26-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
First of all does anybody have any idea what a 97 Centurion Elite bowrider(direct drive) would be worth if it had a brand new engine and was in decent shape/clean? The boat has a monster tower, rankin cover, 2 or 3 amps, tandem trailer.

Also, how hard is it to replace an engine block? I probably could find access to a engine lift to get it out and put it back in. Is it pretty much as simple as swapping the manifolds, valve covers, distributor, sensors/switches, raw water pump, etc.... over?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-26-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
Do a long block if you can. That should be oil pan to heads, then you swap your current bolt-on pieces over. I am pretty sure that hull is slalom/ski specific so prolly not terribly capable as a wakeboat, but may work to some extent...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-26-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_upppp View Post
Do a long block if you can. That should be oil pan to heads, then you swap your current bolt-on pieces over. I am pretty sure that hull is slalom/ski specific so prolly not terribly capable as a wakeboat, but may work to some extent...
I found out it is a Merc Mag TBI engine. I think it is the same hull as the original Elite V just in a direct drive layout. I am sure it isn't great at anything but ok at everything. Plus it could get me out on the water for cheap or make me money.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-26-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
Are there gasket sets that you can buy for a swap like this? I can't imagine besides the longblock and gaskets there is much more than time into the swap. I guess there are fluids as well. I can get all the sensors, senders, starter, alternator, tuneup parts, etc... at wholesale so I am not worried too much about those things.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-27-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
If you can find a rebuilt engine on craigslist ($900 vs $2500 new)and a private mechanic (~$50/hr vr $120/hr) and you can be done for about $2500-3000. Just did it this summer. Real fun.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-27-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
Guess it comes down to what you have more of, time or money? Its not that big of a deal. It sounds like you could handle it youself.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-05-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
brett
so what did you end up doing? did you go get it?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-05-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
no, I found out that it had been left with no cover for 2 weeks unattended and filled with water. The mechanic said that there was probably water in the cylinders which means there was probably water in the transmission and all the electronics got wet. I didn't feel like dealing with it.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-05-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
lol... so thats what he said.. yeah that can be a work out, thats to bad, looked like it was a nice boat at one time...
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-05-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
hey did you see that 2004 moomba in auburn, another example of someone not taking care of there boat... still not to bad of a deal
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-05-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenteck View Post
hey did you see that 2004 moomba in auburn, another example of someone not taking care of there boat... still not to bad of a deal
The red outback that was run a ground?
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-08-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
The red outback that was run a ground?
yeah that one....might be worth fixing if you can get it cheap enough?