Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-16-2003, 5:27 PM Reply   
There is a lot of discussions on this and other boards, as well as questions about towers cracking gelcoat (or at least ways to prevent it from happening).

I have asked around and so far can not find anyone who has seen or experienced damage to gelcoat from a wakeboard tower? (OK, I did hear of a person that had two future Darwin award winners on their tower while jumping waves in the ocean and it created some stress cracks in the gelcoat).

If you have - what kind of boat and tower was it?

Thanks,

Bill@MonsterTower.com
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-17-2003, 6:51 AM Reply   
Is this the part where were supposed to tell our horror stories. Then you tell us how your tower is so much better and that it never would have happened if we had only bought your tower.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-17-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
perhaps a search of the board would turn up what you are looking for. I know there have been several posts with regards to this in the past.
Old    skippyh2o            03-17-2003, 7:28 PM Reply   
Cracks in the gelcoat arent a structural problem. Only surface imperfections. I wouldnt worry about it. Just quit towing/teaching 300+ friends how to wakeboard. HA HA
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-17-2003, 8:04 PM Reply   
Hey man, I resemble that remark! Actually, I'm not that big but any time you drill through gelcoat you run the risk. If you hit doubleups you increase the possibility by 1000% I had some after a less than professional tower install, I pulled the tower and used sandpaper to chamfer and smooth the holes, then used 5 min epoxy to seal the inside. Still have the cracks, but that's the price you pay when you put 2k+ in a boat and drive doubleups.