Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I got my mits on some pocket wizards for my SB-800 and I am going to be doing some strobing from a tube for the first time. basically im wondering is how far back should the tube be from the rider. and any useful hints that people might have about making it a successful mission. i got a chase boat and some deadly riders so that part is all good but just on the technical end of things, I could use a little more info.

I have read that entire thread about strobing that was up a little while ago.

oh and i had an idea to have the tube behind the rider too. then i could get some chase shots from behind and have some front lighting(from the back) on the rider. i dont know that i have ever seen this done. im not sure if its just becasue its doesnt work or if no one has thought of it. anyway any ideas or tips would be rad.

thanks
Old     (barthold)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-21-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
Josh,
When we strobed from a tube we were about 20 feet in front of the rider. As you may remember reading, if you get too close to the rider the shadows tend to be a little harsh.
Usually this shot is done with the sunset behind the rider. If you were to ride into the sunset and have the strob/tube behind the rider and get some chase shots from behind you will probably get some pretty cool results. This shot could also include the tow boat.
Also here is a waterproof housing that I am making and selling on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110183475980

Upload
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-21-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
doug, not disrespecting you at all, but i'm curious, why $95? what's the cost of materials? how long to make one? does the price include shipping?
Old     (barthold)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-21-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
no problem,
$95 is for time (labor) and materials. 4 1/2" OD 1/4" wall thickness cast acrylic is very expensive and has to be special order in 6' lengths(about $200). Material cost is about $40 not incuding over head items like ebay costs, paypal costs, gas to pick material. To reduce the material cost you could use 4" ABS pipe from home depot. The end caps are cusom made. I first cut the acrylic with a hole saw and then route it down to the right diameter using a template. To procure the materials and build one represents about 2 hours labor. Shipping is a flat rate of $8.95 anywhere in the US.

Also see http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87667/457082.html for more ideas
Old     (barthold)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-21-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
Joe,
I see that your profile home page is chickflick. Did you work on that project?
I have three daughters and we all love the DVD
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-21-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
doug, thanks for the response and for not taking it the wrong way.

yeah, i co-produced the chick flick with david cervenka. glad to hear you and your family enjoyed it!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-21-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
Nice, I love this DIY stuff! I just made a Mic-Flag using a $0.50 box from Tap Plastics, some black spray paint, and 4 stickers. Normally they run around $30+.. my cost was less than $5.

I like this design because it's simple, very compact, effective (similar to the EPIC camera housing), and not much to go wrong or break off.

Normally I consider Tap Plastics to be pretty pricey, but you might want to check them out here and compare prices with your supplier. I'm sure with some shopping around you can get even better prices for materials.

Extruded Acrylic Tubes (it's not CAST, but does that make any difference here?)
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=141&
4" OD x 6' w/ 1/8" wall is $55.50
4" OD x 6' w/ 1/4" wall is $96.55

Laser-Cut Clear Acrylic Circles
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=140&
4" x 0.235" thick is $2.00

If you can get away with a 3" tube this might be a cool alternative if you can find a "clear" cap: http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=274&
3" OD x 24" L w/ red cap is $ $6.75

Another cool feature would be some sort of quick-connect/release lanyard. I know that tube rides can get bouncy at times, so having an extra level of security would be good and prevent any downtime retrieving equipment (the rider is another story..)
Old     (barthold)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-21-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
Joshua, I hope some of these post are helpful. I did not intend to steal your thread.
Kung Fu, A Mic-Flag must be a video thing.?
I wanted to keep the design compact yet still give enough room for some foam padding. The foam padding will protect the equipment if dropped on a hard surface. A 4" ID is the smallest I could go and still have room. Yes, a lanyard is a must.
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-21-2007, 11:50 PM Reply   
Doug, NOOO worries man, i acctually never got any replies before i did the shoot. so i just sort of winged it and went with what i figured from knowledge and from what i read in ryan's thread.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-22-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
How did it turn out?
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-22-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
Um in my opinon i got some really decent shots. It is certainly the most work i have had to put into a shoot before. it was tough gettin enough people together. I decided to do it on thanksgiving weekend(canada) and that was the weekdend i was home from school for and so i had all the people and stuff ready and lined up and then the weather was just pouring and i couldnt do it then the next day everyone was doing stuff with the family. Any at honestly like the last possible minute, which left me with 40 min of daylight to work with to shoot and set up i pulled it off. my mom had to drive the chase. she is a saint ahha. but they turned out decent i am just not posting any cuz i want to try for some publishing and i havent got copyright stuff figured out yet.