Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (evansw6)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-12-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
I just bought a '04 Supra Launch 21 with a boatmate tandem trailer. The previous owner did not trailer the boat very far and actually bought the boat in '05. I am going to be taking the boat on a few roadtrips this year and I'm wondering if I need to have the bearings re-packed? If so, how much does this typically cost? If I don't need it, how long can I put it off for?
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-12-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
I would say once a year but thats just me. Last year I didnt only because I was able to keep my boat on a friends dock all summer. I would definatly do before any long trips just to be safe. I was with my dad when I was younger and had a bearing go. It sucks wheel will lock up on you if you stop but catches fire if you keep driving. We had to leave the boat and go get parts to fix.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-12-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
Every 1000 miles.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-12-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
The bearings and packing should be checked at the beginning of every season. If you have a bearing buddy on the hub and it has the grease fitting on the outside, you may be able to get away with pumping the bearing with new grease. Simply throw up the grease gun and pack away till the new colored grease starts spilling out the the bleed hole on the back side of the hub.
To be safe though you want to check the bearings jsut to make sure.

If your handle with tools, get yourself a bearing packer and do the job yourself. It will save a ton of money. If not your local service center or mechanic should be able to do it in a few hours.