Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-09-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
Nothing special, just a straight air but it gave me one of the best feelings I have ever had on a wakeboard. I have tried to hit them maybe 6 or 7 times and either missed it completely or hit it and not landed it. Boring to most of you but man am i stoked. Just bummed it happened at the end of the day and i only got one more chance to try it and missed it completely. The way i was told which has seemed to work is wait for the boat to hit the first roller to cut in. What method do you use?
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-09-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
dude, get those suckers zoned in and nailed, I still only do straight airs off of them, tweaked grabs and such, but i started tryin tantrums off of them this summer, landed one. d-ups are by far my favoirite thing to do when i ride
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-09-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
oh yeah, as far as methods of hitting go, dont cut out too soon, wait until the boat turns around and striahgtens for the rollers, and the method i use just involves keeping my eye on the roller i want to hit, usually the second or third, and taking a progressive cut and i guess just eyeballing the timing? haha i havent mastered them yet but id like to say i hit 7-8 out of 10
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-09-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
Get in the trough of the roller and ride it all the way to the peak. Once you figure that out you will learn that some tricks are better with more/less edge. The later you start your edge the harder you have to cut to make the peak and the bigger you will go.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-09-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
I have driven a few magical double ups but have never tried to hit one. I love the look a rider gets when they hit one just right. I have read posts on here that people say they start taking their cut into the wake when the boat turns and straightens and starts to hit the rollers.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-09-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
hopefully I can learn to drive one properly, so Seth can hit one! sorry dude!
congrats on hitting your first Dub. I am sure it is an awesome feeling. I still dont feel like I am ready to take one on.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-09-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
Nice work! They are so much fun once you and your driver get it figured out. I use the trough between the 2nd and 3rd roller and only cut out about 2/3 my normal distance.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-09-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
I usually aim for the second roller myself. I personally find it works well if you wait for the rollers to hit the bow of the boat. Then start making your cut.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-09-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
They're a lotta fun...I got to hit a couple the last time out at B/V...You didn't need a high speed camera to see the arc I threw, if you know what I mean....

I always have trouble finding the sweet spot, but I do a lot better when the crossing point is a little more open, rather than 90 degrees...Thanks Pete!
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-09-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
I typically have told people to wait until they see the roller they want (whichever one that is) to pass under the platform, and that's the one they'll hit if they start their cut then. That has worked for me, and everyone i tell that to as well...
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-09-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. I can't wait to get out there and try them again.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-09-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
They are a lot of fun but I recommend learning how to hit the double up and land on the down side of the other wake. Double ups are fun but really hard on the knees. My menisci regret some of the landings I've had.

When I come into a double up I wait until the boat straightens out then start a very slow progressive cut and aim for the trough before the double up I want to hit. I adjust cut accordingly.