Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-18-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
Anyone out there using anything to keep there AMPS from over heating? The other day my Fosgate amp went into an "idle" mode because it got to warm. Turned it off for about 15 minutes and she fired right back up and worked the rest of the day. Then again, my sons friends were on the boat and 8 hours of rap music with heavy base probably gave it a work out!

I thought about running a 12 volt fan in the compartment they are mounted in, has anyone done this before? Was on the water today, 102 degrees outside and it never missed a beat. Maybe it was having a bad day when it happened a few weeks ago.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-19-2009, 5:05 AM Reply   
I believe a few people are using these Stinger Cross flow fans without complaint
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HHSPYI
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-19-2009, 10:30 PM Reply   
I run those square computer style fans over the top of each amp.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-19-2009, 11:36 PM Reply   
This may be a stupid question, but what about liquid cooling our amps? I mean we're in the water so we have plenty of it around the boat? And computers use it nowadays with great results.

Anybody thought of trying this? Instead of a closed circuit with a radiator like we have on our computers it could pull water directly out of the lake!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-20-2009, 6:07 AM Reply   
I use the stinger fans. They work great.

Robert, I've seen a few water cooled systems on here in the past. You cna do it, just taeks alot of time/$$/work. The fans are a much easier solution.

Tim from wetsoudns showed me this

http://www.kooleraire.com/Cooler_Adapter.htm

I've used it when I know I'll be beached/parked for a very long time. I fill a small cooler with dry ice, and put this in the stereo compartment.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Travis,

First, always make certain it's a thermal issue instead of a low voltage issue.

Fans are effective. You can dramatically multiply their effectiveness by attaching them to an amp cover or shroud. This will serve to circulate air around the amplifier's heatsink and not just around the fan itself.

Add a relay to power the fan. Do not add a fan directly to the HU remote turn-on lead.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       07-21-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
I use stinger fans. No complaints.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-21-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
what model amp?
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-21-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
How do you mount or install those stinger fans? Any pics?

My friend does cool his off with lake water but it is an ungodly set up!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-21-2009, 11:03 PM Reply   
David,

It went into "thermal" mode on the indicator light, assuming this is because of the heat. I am going to look into getting a couple fans, looks like an easy install.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       07-22-2009, 12:36 AM Reply   
edgar, no pics but it's easy. Just install it on top of your amp. It could be below but that's it. Just so that you can move air around your amp and that's it. Mine is literally right above them.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2009, 5:55 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-22-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
I am no electronic expert! Do these power up at all times when the stereo is on? How are they wired? Will 1 cool two amps?
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-22-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
Dave has it right on the money.Travis,

"First, always make certain it's a thermal issue instead of a low voltage issue."

Most of the time it is a low voltage issue and not a heat problem. I have customers with fans that still have problems, but do not want to spend the money on battery, alter, and/OR on board trickle charger. Insuring that your batteries are fully charged before a trip is key. And believe it or not, just running the boat on the water will not charge your batteries especially when the radio is playing at the same time.

Try a fan first, its cheap and simple. If the problem continues add a battery (running 2 in parallel) of beef up the alternator.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
Edgar, mine are on a relay thru the remote turn on lead of the HU. You could also wire them up thru a seperate switch if you wanted.

Unless you've got an onboard genrator or tons of batteries, your more than likely gonna run into a low voltage issue by the end of the day (assuming parked with engine off). Most boat owners will run into a combo of both issues. I know alot of guys showing amps 2 and 1 ohm loads, especially on thier subs, the amps are working overtime, in an enclosed area.....all day.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-22-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
Let me add to the discussion..

In my best non-technical explanation, the amplifier is a power amplifier. power is the product of power and current, as in the equation P=IxV where P is Power, V is voltage and I is current.

For a given power output, when the voltage goes down, the current goes up. Current flow is what causes heat in amps. If we maximize voltage, the current goes down and the amp runs cooler.

So, while it is lots of times good to add a fan, and install it in as effective a manner as possible as David shares above, we should all take the opportunity to make sure we are doing everything we can to not have low voltage at the amps.

This includes adding batteries if necessary, but also making sure every power connection is tight. Make sure the power wire is sized right and not too small. Keep power wire runs as short as possible.

All of these things will help.

Phil
Kicker