Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-24-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
i have tried, tried and tried some more to stand up and not let my kness soften the wake and take my pop. well i just havent got it yet. i go w2w but with to much effort and to little pop. i shoot across like a rocket. Any help guys
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-24-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
1. Slow down and forget about going w2w. You need to get the pop off one wake before you rush to jumping w2w

2. Don't take such a wide cut at the wake. Similar to #1, slow down, take a shallow cut at the wake.

3. Focus on extending your legs as you enter the trough in front of the wake. Think of it as resisting the wake rather than trying to pop off the wake.

4. Practice this TS and HS 8-10x before you start worrying about w2w. Anybody can jump w2w w/ enough speed but it's the pop that enables you time to do tricks.

5. Stick with it! I know it's boring and you want to start doing more tricks right off the bat, but this will get you in stronger position for learning more tricks faster down the road.

Good luck!
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       10-26-2007, 5:50 PM Reply   
i had that problem too...edging out as far as i can and shooting across the wake but gettin only minimal height until i crashed and got a concussion. now, whenever i get out there, i edge out only maybe 7-10 feet and try to extend my legs at the wake. the crashes don't hurt and i can feel a little more air each time...but still gun-shy from that concussion.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-26-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
Wow, you guys are livin in my world. I've been going W2W HS this season fairly consistently but it is only because I charge the wake. I know what to do in theory but give the line tension back one way or another. I go out the back and whiplash myself (that really hurts) or auger in after casing the wake and plant my face (which hurts more at the time but doesn't usually linger for a week like the whiplash. I had a pretty good concussion the last ride of last season and it took me half this season to get over it.

What happens to me is that I can picture exactly what I plan to do in my mind but it seems to happen too fast when I'm actually doing it and I end up doing something wrong. I've gotta say though that on those days that I seem to get it a little bit it feels really good to land on the soft side of that wake and look back at the tail of the board digging into the water.

I don't know if this happens to others, but when I don't get out for several weeks it feels like my body has forgotten half of what I knew the last time I rode but my head still thinks I can do it. I know more instruction would help, so I'm hopeful of getting some before next season at one of the warm weather camps.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       10-26-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
just working on getting good pop...i'll leave all those 5's 7's tantrums suicide backrollieos to the youngsters
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-27-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
Les, I was where you were at, last year, and I've got the same problem toe side this year. Here is my heel side story. Keep in mind I'm an old guy who only practices once a week.:

After conquering the fear of charging the wake I learned to just use speed to smash into it and I'd make it w2w but with no height. My buds were laughing at the lack of height but still clearing. I then slowed down and learned to jump one wake using rope tension and leg push, landing in the middle. I practiced this over and over until it felt natural to take the slow approach to the wake. This taught me to get height to my jumps using a load technique. Then I shortened the rope a lot and came in with the same slow approach and I was clearing W2W with a short rope. Once I was confident I could do it in my sleep at that rope length I'd let out one more link and repeat the process. I learned to cut out a little further and use a little more speed at each rope length. It took my first real season to get this down.

Now that I'm older this physical stuff comes to me a lot slower than when I was younger, and this is frustrating. I'm dealing with it.

Anyway, I'm now doing the same learning technique for toeside jumps. I've gone thru the one wake jumps and started clearing shorter rope lengths. I'm now up to 70' @ 23mph with my goal set at 75'.

Let me know if you'd like to know more or if you have any specific questions. I'd be glad to help.
Lantz
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-27-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
BTW, I can clear the wake heelside from about the whitewash or cut out as far as I want, after my long learning curve. I just wish I could do it toe side, or switch HS, or switch TS.