Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
I know there have been a few threads on the new VTX, but I was curious what kind of wake this boat is capable of.
I saw one at UWS in Sac on Sunday and was impressed with the layout of it.
For such a small boat it has alot of room, feels like a 23ft boat, mostly because it's pretty wide.
Any feed back on these? Looks like they have alot of them sitting and are ready to deal.
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       08-01-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Tom, sent you a pm.
Old     (meotch3)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-01-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
I picked up an 07 VTX earlier this year and absolutely love it!!! It by far has the most room i've seen in a 20 footer. no problems here, A+++++ I don't have any pics of the wake, but were going out in the morning so i'll try and get a few. With the 4 tank ballast and the wedge, its got great pop.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-01-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
tom i think you should ask yourself 2 questions.
1. does my lake have a 20ft restrisction on boats.
2. do i have a garage/storage issue.

the vtx is a great boat. i demoed one early this year it is awsome. but for a little more cash you will get alot more boat. i.e. storage, seating, comfort by stepping into a vlx. just a thought, i love the look of the vtx though its stout looking
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-01-2007, 11:40 PM Reply   
Lots of room and storage. Very classy boat. Liked the pop with ballast and no wedge . Hopefully will try wedge this week.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-02-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
great boat great wake lots of room and fit and finish are great I've had one about 3 months
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-02-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
I don't have any boat storage or lake restictions, I'm looking for a small boat because we usually only ride with 2 or 3 people ever. I've been thinking about getting another older SAN, but am open to trying a different boat and would like something with more storage..
It seems to me a bigger boat just means more fat sacks, more gas, etc.
I'd like to wait and see if Epic comes out with a 21ft boat, but the VTX looks like it would fit our needs.
If anyone could post a surf wake and possibly some pics of the boat slammed it would be great.
thanks for the feedback
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       08-02-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
I was pretty astounded at the VTX actually. I am a Nautique and MasterCraft die hard and really prefer the vert and just about everything else about the Prostat V205/DD205 (dont care - both variants are completely amazing) Super Air and the Ski Nautique 2001. But one of my good friends got a VTX and the thing is extremely impressive. He knows about the site and somehow used to to factor his purchase decision. A first for that site. I'd convinced many people into Ski Nautique 2001's from running The2001.com but this was the first time I knew of a person using my site to make a purchase desision. I've subsequently learned that others have used my Budget Wake Boat chart since then. But I was pretty psyched to get out on that VTX and literally got the first run.

My only issue is something you probably don't need to worry about. More of a personal issue. This friend of mine is a new owner and is very enamored with the new boat and sprung for the full factory ballast including bow ballast (a must in my opinion). It is the nicest and newest wake boat on my lake and will be until I take delivery of a 230. But it needs more than just the factory ballast to make someone like me 100% happy. Why? Because I'm not a terrific rider (4 inverts, 540s, 3's from different directions) plus some slider experience. I really like to tank my SAN to make up for my defecit in true abilities :-). It has been hard for me to approach the subject with the new owner that he needs to weight his VTX in addition to the factory ballast. I did a big writeup on my site about it. If I could put a few side sacs in the rear lockers and perhaps some additional people in the boat regularly I would imagine the wake jumps up considerably. I am very much a wake size snob. As for the inside - the thing is incredible. One of my favorite layouts. Long live simple wraparound seating. It is as roomy and well laid out as anything I have seen in awhile (crazily large boats aside - 247, 236 et cetera). It compares very well to older 21-22 ft wakeboats and in truth seems bigger inside than my SAN despite being smaller. Awesome boat in my opinion.

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2007/05/a_malibu_wakesetter_vtx_found.html

(Message edited by juniorhawk on August 02, 2007)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
Erin, your profile pick is sick. That is like my dream set up.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       08-02-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
Erin? Me Erik.

Yeah - we had a second 2001 too that I sold to accommodate the purchase of the SAN. I also have a 1971 Correct Craft Southwind that I am busily turning into my ghetto version of the CSX 220 :-)

Owning boats in a sickness. I am stricken badly.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-02-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Tom, I have only been through the VTX at the boat show. Its amazingly large for a smaller boat. I was very impressed with everything minus the vented windshield. I told Mike Mello that I will think about buying the boat after they get rid of the Leisure Suit Larry windshield. My only other problem is that I am still not a big fan of the BU tower but its growing on me now that you can get a big bimini. Yet, I still prefer traditional towers with clamping/spinning racks. So far, I have not found a boat that motivates me to trade up from my 2000 VLX with BOSS tower. The MC X2 could have done it if the wake was as good as the X1. The VTX could have done it if it were not for my dislike of the windshield and tower. The X2 wake is likely not to change while the VTX wake is supposed to be nice (better than my 2000 VLX based on what I have read). And, IMO, the VTX windshield is likely to change once BU is willing to accept their error.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       08-02-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
I was also impressed at the tower. Again not being a Malibu expert, and having never driven a boat with a tower whose legs I could not see in front of me, I was amazed at the visibility afforded by the Illusion X tower. That is a really amazing design element & usability benefit of the tower on this boat that I never considered. Forward visibility is important in this sport, where the boat's bow is often pitched up more than in other towed sports.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-02-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
GD, I sent you a pm but you answered my questions here, thanks..
Erik, thanks also for the feedback, I owned an '03 SAN previously so that is my reference point.
I'm not crazy about the windshield but it dosen't bug me either.
I hated the bu tower when it first came out but the looks have grown on me and I was very impressed with how solid they are when I saw one in person.. Way more solid than a FCT.
Anyone surf behind one?
Dane, do you think you could get as big a surf wake out of this?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-02-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
Tom, I have no info except that I think wider/bigger boats tend to make better surf wakes because its all about getting the corner of the boat deeper into the water. The surf wake of my 2000 VLX is sure nice when I put 1100 lbs in one corner. Try asking in the wakesurf section.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       08-02-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
The VTX can throw an excellent surf wake.
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-02-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
Okay, Tom, I know this goes against the Malibu lovefest here, but the new Centurion Enzo SV216 might be a great choice as well. Kevin Baugh, where are you??!

(Message edited by steedracer on August 02, 2007)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
Sorry Erik, that was my mistake.

Another thing someone told me about the illusion X tower was that you can ride with 5' more rope length and still be at the same spot on the wake as you would with a short rope on a normal tower. Basically you get all of the benefits of a longer line without moving farther back.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-02-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
That is true. Compared to our X1 with the tower sweeping backwards, I ride 5 feet farther out behind my buddies VLX simply because the tow point is much farther forward.