Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (jc245)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-23-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
I have been doing a lot of research lately on tower speaker systems. I have settled on the Eminence pro-audio speakers and Selenium horn drivers installed into a custom fiberglass enclosure I am building. I realized quickly though, that these speakers are mostly paper and probably not very friendly with water (rain) and got to wondering, how do you guys that have non WX proof speakers protect them? Would it be better to design the protection into the enclosure or is there something easy you all do to cover them in rain and bad weather?? Thanks -James
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-23-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
I have a friend that took elmers glue and painted the paper with it, and it seem to be holding up. But, his boat stays in the garage when not in use. He has shown me that it works by spraying a water hose in them...
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-23-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
partsexpress.com

search The wet look
Old     (jc245)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-23-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
Thanks Sam. Exactly the answer I was looking for!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-23-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Are you gonna leave your boat out in the elements. Do you plan on covering your tower speakers with anything when not in use ?
Old     (jc245)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-23-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
No, it's garage kept. That was orignally what i meant, what do you throw over, cover with, etc. Just short time protection such as during a quick rain while out on the water.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-23-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
There are Speakersox and Screamin' Sacs if you can find something to cover your custom enclosure. Otherwise maybe just buy some marine fabric and fabricate it yourself.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-23-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
James,
If you treat them they will be fine in the rain, I get mine wet with no issues. Be careful with the cloth surrounds, a brittle protectant will cause them to tear. It would be a good idea to remove the paper gaskets on the mounting side and replace with a water resistant material or one that won't break down if it gets damp. You don't want water up in the compression drivers though.
Good luck.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-23-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
Wet look and speaker sox