Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
I'm planning on heading to Shasta Saturday on my way back to Washington with my new boat. What launch is the easiest access from I-5, least crowded, closest to good water, etc? Can you find a good spot to tent camp on the beaches? Anyone going to be there this weekend? Any tips for the Shasta newbie will help.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       08-18-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
Packers bay has the best launch close to I-5. The problem is coming from the South, you need to go past it to the Holiday Harbor exit, get back on the freeway heading South to the Packers Bay exit. Huge parking lot and good ramp.

For camping, ski island (by Silverthorn) is good camping with 2 great coves with decent water most of the day. There are campsites with picnic tables and pit toilets.
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
Packers Bay isnt the best launch ramp closes to the I-5 actually its out of the way. Bridge Bay has a off ramp off the I-5 its like 2 seconds off of it.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       08-18-2005, 9:22 AM Reply   
Can you find parking at Bridge bay? The water is still pretty high and on a busy weekend that place is a mess.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I'm hoping this weekend isn't too hectic. I figure quite a few Nor-Cal people will be at Boardstock. Either way I'm stoked to get a day out on Shasta.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2005, 9:44 AM Reply   
Bridge Bay is the way to go. You'll have to pay for parking but the launch is pretty nice, and they've been putting an employee on the ramp to direct traffic wich is nice. If you launch before noon it will be much less crowded.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-18-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
Holiday harbor isn't that far off the highway and it puts you up on the McCloud arm. Pull out of the harbor and turn left and head "upstream".......nice.
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
Yeah alot of people will be down at Boardstock. However Shasta Lake is dying down due to school starting and you can find parking at Bridge Bay I don't know what Dave is talking about he's trying to take you far out of the way.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       08-18-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
I'm not trying to take him far out of the way, just based on experience. I have not tried Bridge Bay in about 4-5 years, but the two times I have been there, the ramp was full of minivans unloading their stuff to get on or off houseboats, and parking was limited (it was a total zoo). It may have changed since then - I noticed they built a new mouring dock last time I was in the marina.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-18-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
Ryan:
I agree with the others bridge bay will be busy.
you can probably launch their but parking can turn into a hike. If you don't mind driving a little, north on I-5 Exit Lake Blvd turn Rt follow this road turns into 299 turn left on Dry Creek 4-5 miles out. 2-3 miles out dry creek, at the fork go right to Jones Valley launch big parking lot this is the pit arm sick riding their is a campground right there.
Have fun;I love the "sleeper", I wish I was going
Later G.
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
Why does everyone have to make it harder than it already is. If you want to go to Jones Valley which is probably 20 minutes off the freeway. Also if going North bound exit Oasis Road Make a right at the stop sign. Turn right on Bear Mtn Road (About 5 Miles) Make A left at the stop sign and follow the road down.
If you don't want to launch at Bridge Bay launch at Baleys Cove which is on the Lakeshore exit a little bit passed the Rest stop and make a right and just follow that road all the way down
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2005, 2:45 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys, it'll probably be a last minute decision I'm sure. I was curious about beach camping and just throwing a couple tents up somewhere for the night, rather than a campground. Anyone going to be houseboating this weekend that wants to meet up and ride behind a Sanger?
Old     (the_bug)      Join Date: May 2004       08-18-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
Just launch at Bailey Cove. It is right off the highway north of Bridge Bay. I'll be at Steiner's wake school at Holiday Harbor on Friday at 9am and on Sunday at 10am for lessons. I have a gray Integrity wake skate and gas money.

PS Shasta is off the hizzy this summer. It is not near as low as this time last year. Folks are correct. The crowds are thinning out, and they weren't that big this year anyway.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
DC I'll be in a White w/ yellow and black stripe Sanger V210 give us a shout if you see us I'll keep my eye out if we hit up Holiday Harbor. I'm hitting the road thanks for the input.
Old    sonicr1            08-22-2005, 7:18 AM Reply   
I'm going up this weekend, what are gas prices like on the lake?????
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-22-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
baily cove is not bad to launch at. for tent camping i like the squaw creek arm of the lake. jones valley ramp is a little farther off the freeway but is closer to the squaw and pit arms of the lake. both arms have good butter for what ever.
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-22-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
i forgot, jones valley also has tent camping near the water on the shore. bring your own everything though, no tables, shade, water etc. basically dry camping. marina very close.
Old     (kneebone)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2005, 6:28 AM Reply   
Gas is going for about 3.80 a gallon on average. Was out last night and went right down the middle of the main body.

Bailey cove may be closed because of the drawdown on the lake. Bridge Bay closed the south ramp. The north ramp is open but chaotic. Go Packers Bay or go north some more to the Antlers ramp since you are going North. You should be able to throw tents right on the shoreline across from that ramp and have the sac arm to yourself.
Old    penny4urthots            08-23-2005, 9:16 AM Reply   
Dave I got your back bro, Packers Bay is worth the "extra" 5 minute drive past Bridge Gay... It is centrally located on the lake and has plenty of parking with usually NO WAIT @ the ramp. If you are goin to Shasta you don't want to deal with the "hurry up and wait" mentality of most other CA launch ramps. Sit back relax and enjoy the butter newbie.