Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (AndersonMC)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-21-2011, 3:39 PM Reply   
I just purchased 2 Hippity hops off of amazon for my boat. After recieving them it seemed like they were not built very tough and my concern is are they going to hold up on my boat against the dock? We can get some good rollers coming through from all the wake boats so I need it to handle them.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2011, 4:04 PM Reply   
They are definitely not as thick a material as a regular boat bumper.
I see them fixed to the side of numerous docks along the Parker Strip & in Canyon Lake (SoCal). So I have to assume they do survive. Probably depends on what kind of surface their rubbing against..... wood, Trex, steel, pilings, etc.
I only use them when we're rafted up with other boats though. Just had them setup between my Vride & a pontoon last weekend for about 1/2 a day. Never had a problem.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-21-2011, 6:57 PM Reply   
They are stronger than they look. I still have hippity hops that I have had for 5 years. They have been between boats when big wakes come through and they hold up. I would not put it up against a dock with screw heads poping out, but I would totally trust them. Also, just watch how you tie the rope around the handle. That is more likely to be the place you see them break. Try to tie a loose knot up there so it has room to breath instead of squeezing the heck out of it...
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-22-2011, 11:13 AM Reply   
I know a lot of ppl use the hippity hop's for fenders, but I totally suggest the "Low Freeboard Fenders" from Taylormade. http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/catalog/
I have had 2 of the had the 23" model for over 10 years and they work awesome. I tied a short line to fit around the ski-pylon for the back of the boat and it's as easy as throwing the loop over the pylon and your done. Never had it come off, and it's full hull-side protection. For the front I use the Super Gard Inflatable Vinyl Fenders (8.5x26") and hook to the tower feet.

just my $.02.
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-22-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
On my dock I have a 25' long air filled bumper that is bolted every 8" or so to the dock. It completely covers the wood and provides pretty much complete protection for my boat. I also use 2 small bumpers between the air bumper and my boat, just to keep the air bumper from rubbing the entire length of the hull. I have to parallel park my boat into a 25' space in between two other boats, so having that extra level of protection is great.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-22-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
Okay i googled what you are talking about and just got a bunch of kids toys...got a pic?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-22-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Todd they are kids toys. People just use them for bumpers on their boats.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-22-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoddio View Post
Okay i googled what you are talking about and just got a bunch of kids toys...got a pic?
That is what they are talking about. They like them because they are softer then regular fenders so they don't skuff and gouge your gelcoat plus they deflate and take up very little room when not in use. The biggest downfall seems to be that you usually have to get kids designs on them.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-22-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
^^^That's funny^^^

Sir can you tell me where the dock lines and fishing gear are located? Yes they are next to the hippity hops.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-22-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
As long as you are cool with barbie or pokemon fenders they are golden.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-22-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
For those of you coming to the float party on lake sammamish next weekend you'll see some new ones and might even be lucky enough to get one. These do not have kids toys on them and are not available at any store.
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-22-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
did the smaller size work ok ? 8-9 inch dia. ?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-22-2011, 1:33 PM Reply   
Lightning McQueen rocks! Seriously they work exceedingly well. keep four on the boat and they are WAY cheaper and offer better protection than standard fenders. Like said above they won't scratch unlike standard fenders will. I inflate about 80-85% so they have some cush to them.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-22-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
Hahaha...this is hilarious! Just as long as a pack of 6 year olds doesn't come and steal all of them!
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-22-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
Interesting conversation here. After about 20 emails back and forth with an Asian supplier, I can now say that I'm an expert in all things hippty hop. The molds that the Disney product come out of are a fixed thickness of rubber. As was mentioned above, Exile will have a new styled Hipty hop that will be a giveaway up at that lake sammish float party. Our version is a little upgraded from what you find in the toy stores in that it will be 450gram and 17" versus the 30g 15" . The Exile one will take a little more abuse than the toy ones and they are, well.... free while supplies last at the party.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-22-2011, 2:53 PM Reply   
I have a pair of the big TalorMade bumpers like KG mentioned above. Paid like $90 each at BoatersWorld like 10 yrs ago. They've lived thru 2 boats now & work GREAT. But they take up a TON of storage space. If I'm just tieing up to one other boat, then that is exactly what I use.

But if we have a raft up with a bunch of boats, then I pull a pair of the Hippity Hops out. I store them deflated & takes me like 5 minutes to pump them up. I found a couple that are white, painted like giant baseballs. I pump them up to around 16" or 20" in diameter & use them on the opposite side of the big Talormades. Typically the other guy will put his little tiny bumpers out & they don't even touch the boats at all.

Good to hear someone finally made some cool looking ones, Brian. Hope they go over really well.
Attached Images

Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-22-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
I need some of these badly...great idea!
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-22-2011, 3:09 PM Reply   
For all of you that do not want the kid cartoon ones. They have them at target. they are 6 bucks and come in blue or green. no design at all. Do not call and ask they will tell you they dont have them. I picked 4 of them up a month ago before the NW WOW.

Brian - I hope your passing them out in pais so I can have black and blue balls on my boat. That will be a huge upgrade from just blue balls.LOL
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-22-2011, 3:48 PM Reply   
Great picture Bill. that really was a fun day wasnt it! ahha!

lil john - yes pairs no problem. I flew in a box of the hops for the event. I think I got 20 boats or so covered. Wahoo! looking forward to getting up there to see you guys. That blue Bu of yours all ready for the weekend?

-Brian
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-25-2011, 6:46 AM Reply   
If I did not have a black hull, I probably would be fine using any bumper, but with a black or colored hull the standard (taylor made style bumpers) will ghost and scratch the gel coat. These bouncy balls are super soft and really keep the boats off each other. Here is a pic and some boat bun at the same time.....

Brian,
You better save me a few Exile bouncy balls!!!
Attached Images

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-25-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
Someone in the industry should be listening. Put a simple valve on them so you can blow them up without a pump and keep them cheap. Even on a larger boat you don't want to kill space with big round fenders but they do work the best.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-25-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
You can blow them up with your mouth in less than a minute already. They are very easy.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-25-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
Hippity hops are great. Inflate/Deflate in 60 seconds. I let the kids pick them out. So I currently have a Batman, Star Wars, Spiderman and Dora. Quite the conversation start when I hit party cove a couple times a year with just the adults.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-25-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
ship fire, i guess I need a few.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-25-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
I got some 10yr old kids ones with pink and blue stars on them, not sure how to deflate/inflate as only has a tiny opening and no popup valve. So takes up a ton of space but great if I know ahead of time we are tying up.

Good to hear Exile make some. Hope they have valve I could use a tube inflator on. Maybe partner up with another company's logo to keep cost down and both get marketing
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-25-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
I've been using the Lightning McQueen hoppers for 2 years and haven't had problems with them popping. I ordered 4 extras and the first 2 out of that batch popped after the first 20 minutes of use.