Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Hey did anyone catch the show on the National-Geo channel
called Restrepo Afghan Outpost.
276 on Direct TV
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-01-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
Yep. DVR'd it and watched it last night. That show really captivated the effort of what our US military is doing in such a hellish place. I did not want the show to end.

Major respect for the guys who are out there getting the job done.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
It was cool to see that the troops in a weird way loved what they were doing. I'm not saying they liked everything that came with the job (like losing loved ones) but it was cool to see young guys taking it to them. True Americans wiling to lay it ALL on the line for their country. God Bless them.
Made me think of this quote

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-01-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
The DVD of the documentary is being released on 12/7 (Pearl Harbor Day).

If I'm not mistaken this was the same area that MOH recipient Salvatore Giunta was at. Pretty intense stuff. God bless our soldiers in that crap hole.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-01-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
It was on cable as well where I live. DVR'd it.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-01-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
Trying to see if it's being played again. If not I will have to see if the DVD is on Netflix..

Just finished reading John Krakauers book on Pat Tillman. It's definitely a hit piece on The White House, GWB, McChrystal, and others. In between those areas you get a few excellent exerpts of how crazy things can get and how our soldiers still do what is asked of them to the best of their abilities.

"War is not merely a political act, but also a political instrument, a continuation of political relations, a carrying out of the same by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz (I love the scene in Crimson Tide where this quote gets delivered)

"War is always about betrayal, betrayal of the young by the old, of idealists by cynics and of troops by politicians." - Chris Hedges, "A Culture of Atrocity"

Given those two quotes and having some generic understanding that the Soviet-Afghan war lead to the demise of the USSR, I do hope that for our troops sake as well as the good of our nation that we wrap up our operations in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, etc. as soon as possible.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       12-01-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
I caught that the other night. I was going to post something up but figured no one would know what I was talking about. Watching it, I was reminded of Alan Plotz and his thanksgiving wishes.
I have a huge amount of respect for our soldiers. Its a sobering reminder of what these guys have to go through. Towards the end of the the show they were doing interviews about "Rock Avalanch" and you could tell many of those guys have (or will have) some serious psychological wounds to deal with the rest of there lives.
I have a HUGE amount of respect for those guys but do not envy them at all.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-02-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
Just watched this last night, very well done. My bro is a Marine iraq vet so it hit home for me, what a sacrifice those guys make for us.

If you have Comcast On Demand(infinity) its under the natgeo channel. Not sure how long it will run but you can watch it anytime.

You hear about so many military deaths since we started this campaign that I think we have all become desensitized to hearing about another casualty. This show brought it back to reality for me how much one soldier killed or hurt affects not only their family and community at home but the morale of their crew.