Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 5:25 AM Reply   
I decided to address my regrets on a new thread instead of the good customer service thread to get more response to my concerns. Any help would be great...thanks is advance fellow boarders.

I wish I could say the good things about a shop I have been trying to work with. They have had my money for a new board for four months and will not refund. The product is not coming in like they said it would. I was planning a trip over the winter to Florida and wanted to take my new board. Did not happen. Other shops are getting the product in...but not them. ?????? I went ahead and bought the board from someone else and decided that I would put the money into bindings for this board later at this shop. I understand that manufacturers run into problems delivering from time to time. Bottom line......not once has the shop called me to keep me updated on the process of getting the new product in. That is all I wanted. Now I do not want to do business with them. And they have a policy...no refunds...they just put my money in an account for when I do purchase from them. So I am stuck. My point is...they do not have the bindings I want now. I gave them money in good faith they would get my product. Which is Ronix gear. I dropped $370 for the board originally. This shop DID have the bindings that I ordered in at one time (the size and model), but decided not to tell me, but take them to the boat show to sell. They said they sold the item to a full paying customer and they were sorry. I guess I need $50 more to complete the sale from the difference for the cost of the board to the cost of the bindings. I would have gladly laid the cash down right away to get these bindings, had I known they got them in. But now I am hesitant on giving any more money in fear of losing more money and not getting it refunded if they do not deliver this time.
Any suggestions on what to do?
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-12-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
i have never heard of that. Why do you have to give them the money to hold up front? If they are ordering the product anyway, why not just go into the shop when they get the gear and buy it then instead of letting them hold onto your money?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-12-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
What shop is it? If this is the way they do business, then everyone here should know. Then, take them to small claims court.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-12-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
If the "contract" was for a specific item that they cannot get I do not see how they can not give you the money back. I would escalate it with a formal letter and contact the BB as well in addition to publishing the shops name on this and other sites. Finally, how is this a return when you never recieved the prodcut to return.
Old    malibu73            03-12-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
I would contact them with threats of a lawyer Dont;t know if it would help, but you might try scaring them.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
Matt.....I gave them money up front to get the new Ronix product. I figured with it being a new product and new company, supplies at first might fall short. I was right with that in mind, they are exactly that (at least here in Michigan). But they did say the product would be delivered before my trip to Florida. Which was failure number one..again I was doing all the calling because I was not getting response from them...date crept up..I called..they said they would call Ronix...no return call back , I once again called them about two weeks later. Bad customer service. Just a returned call would have satisfied me. Even if the news was not in my favor or simply stating that the manufacturer is not responding.. I should have waited until I went to Florida, then get the product there. Which is what I did when I bought the board. At this time I knew that they would not refund my money, so I figured I would get the bindings from them, since they had to be custom heat molded to my feet anyway. Plus if I need a reheat, they are local. So it made sense to get the bindings from them. They also did convince me that I would be the first to get the product if I wanted to put the money down...which they said half was required. (that was mistake number two) I figured I would have good faith and put the total cost of the board down. Then later, I guess 370 was not enough for them to hold the Cell bindings for me at a total cost of $399. So they turn around and sell them at the boat show. Nice! So that is why I prepaid...I will never do that again. But then again, I have never had a problem like this with the shop I usually buy my gear from. That shop is not carrying Ronix this year...but hopes to next year. That is why I thought I would try this other shop...never again! Kudos goes to Jason at Wilson Marine in Howell. He has never steered me wrong. They are very nice and helpful. And I will remain a loyal customer to them from here on out.

Byrd...I will not publically slam this shop, but I have no problem telling you privately and that goes the same for everyone(email me). That way I don't have an issue with a slander lawsuit. Never know who pops on here. I do know they are going to have real stiff competition less than a 1.5 miles starting in the fall. This new shop has all the brands....Hyperlite, Ronix,CWB,Liquid Force, O'Brien wakekites etc. etc.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
Here is additional information:

On the bottom of the receipt, it says:

**WE WILL GLADLY EXCHANGE MERCHANDISE ACCOMPANIED BY A RECEIPT**
**IN STORE CREDIT ONLY..NO CASH REFUNDS OR CHARGE CARD CREDITS**
***SORRY, NO RETURNS ON ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS****

Any legal jargon stick out to anyone that I might have missed.

The point is I don't have the product and either do they!

After the shop said they have it on order(for the second time)(cell bindings). I called Ronix and they checked their books..(this was last Friday) and they DO NOT have any orders for this shop for Cell bindings size 9. Now I am burnin and fumin mad! A shop over in Grand Rapids has this boot in the right size...but I can not get the $$ back to purchase them from this other place. Right now...yes lakes in Michigan are froze over and the riding season is a ways off. But it has been four months..no product..in another four months we will be in the riding season. Which our season last only three to four months. I don't trust them, especially after selling my previous order at the boat show.
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-12-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
If I'm not mistaken in Michigan it is illegal to hold a deposit. Shoot me an email informing me of the store.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-12-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
Here's what you do. You call them up and tell them all the ways they have screwed you, then you tell them you know they don't have any boots on order & you want your money back NOW!!! Let them know you are fully aware of their "non-return policy" and that you could give a crap. You are here to get your money back NOW! If they reject you ask for the manager, if her rejects you, ask for the owner. Once you get that person on the line explain the situation again & how its unacceptable and needs to be rexolved, not tomorrow, not next week but right here while I'm on the phone. mention this thread & how you would hate to have it get out the terrible service they offer. Slander is only such if the accusations are false, so don't worry about that. Get tough & get your $crilla back!!
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-12-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
Technicaly, you're not "Returning" any thing. You never got the product to return.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-12-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
No one has said it yet! If you paid with a credit card, and this is why you should, you can simply back charge it and get your money back without ever stepping foot back into the store. If you paid cash or by check, you need to get with the store owner and have a page outlining dates, calls, etc, and inform them that you will get your money back.

Edited for grammar.

(Message edited by Peter_C on March 12, 2007)
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-12-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
Kenneth's on the right track. I'm in law school. What did they exactly say about the board and the bindings? That they would be in at a certain time and that they were on order? Because neither of those (actually only one had to not be true) turned out to be true they have broken the contract. Did you sign something for the board or bindings or was it an oral agreement. Either way they broke the contract and cannot legally keep your money. It does not matter what it says about the refund policy because this is not a refund. They broke a contract and have NO RIGHT to your money.

Do you have any friends or friends' Dads who are lawyers? One quick call to the shop from a lawyer would probably work. Write as much stuff down as you have and make sure you have any receipts as evidence.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-12-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
Yup, if you paid with a CC simply dispute the charges. I personally own an AMAX purely for that reason they are THE BEST for these types of issues. All you do is call up the CC company tell them whats up, they credit your card back and take care of the rest!

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Thanks all.. Very good stuff. The associate that I worked with said they had talked to the owner and no dice. There was no physical contract. But we did have a verbal agreement. The first answer was from the associate....I will give you a call when your Ronix cell bindings come in (of course I already mentioned that they NEVER EVER returned a call...not once). Those are the ones that went and sold at the boat show. And it was this associate that pointed out that they had sold them at the boat show. NICE.. I think the associate was pissed because I decided to get my board from someone else, instead of the whole package from them. Both the board and the bindings they broke the deal on for delivery and time they should have been delivered on two separate occassions.

Good info Peter on the credit card....unfortunately I did not. I don't own a credit card and pay cash. But maybe I should get a card for just these occassions.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-12-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Let Ronix know how this shop is repping their product. One call/email from you to Ronix should have the issue resolved. BTW, I'm no lawyer, but it does not seem they upheld their side of the contract, thus the other issues of the contract would not be valid. I'd still reccommend small claims court, if for nothing else, the experience.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-12-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
Scott- besides the basic contract theory approach you could also check out this site
www.legislature.mi.gov
(this area may be of some help too... Michigan's consumer protection act...)

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(sv1gnqfwtkraez45wdfxa0yg))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-445-903

copy and paste that entire link in your browser for it to work correctly... you may want to look at subsection (U)

(Message edited by Wiscxstar on March 12, 2007)
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-12-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
here's a better link:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-Act-331-of-1976
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
Byrd...You and I are on the same track. Talked with Paul O'brien and Ashley about this situation. Looks like this will get resolved through that connection. The one thing that concerns me, if Ronix has to ship to this dealer (because they are holding the dough)...will the dealer sell that product to someone else? I am not making that statement into a joke. I don't trust them now. There is another boat show this weekend in Novi, MI.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-12-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Exactly - there is no contract if no product changed hands and they are simply holding money for you. You never actually "purchased" anything, so why are they entitled to hold your money if your product wasn't available?

I would do what Big Heavy recommended and speak with a supervisor or the store owner. If that doesn't work out, I'd tell them that you were prepared to post about their service online unless they rectify your situation, and if you still get nowhere, I'd do what Byrd said and call Ronix. You can bet that they would not be happy about a shop treating a potential Ronix customer that way.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Wow thanks Nicolet....checking into that right now.
Old     (210hippy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
Scott,I bought your size 9 cells at the boat show from ss. Most likely I will trade them in for size 8 when ss receives them.I'll have them call you when and if this takes place. Should be soon.Sorry about your problem ,but I have been doing business with them for years.They have always been totally professional and helpful.Hopefully I can solve your problem.Call off the lawyers.Lets hook up and ride sometime.
Old     (wink_vlx)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-12-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
I too am from Michigan & do not want to have any problems with future purchases. Please E-mail me the name of the store in question
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-13-2007, 4:02 AM Reply   
I am happy to say, I talked with Paul O'Brien last night from Ronix. I think we have everything worked out. I must say, for customer service Ronix definitely gets very high marks. They are top notch. And that will be important for any of you looking to purchase new gear. That is not saying the other companies don't have good customer service. But Ronix you can work with and trust. They are a REAL GOOD company. Stay tuned, we see how smoothly this transition takes place on this end.

Steve, are you sure that your cells on are not size 8. I ask because originally I ordered a size 8 binding. I ended up going to Action Water Sports in Hudsonville and tried on boots there three weeks ago. They only had a size 9 for me to try on. It was a perfect fit. So I told "this dealer" when they go to reorder the cell, make it a 9 instead of an 8. But most likely this all will be over soon.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-19-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
Reporting back........I got my boots! Paul O'Brien is awesome. He pulled it through. So high marks for RONIX. Customer service is a priority to them. Great company. They will go far if this is how they execute business. Thanks Paul!