Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-15-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
once agin i have a zx650x4 kicker going to ad 1 pair pro 80s 4 ohm. with this amp an speakers can u wire 2 ohm for more power. second question will 130 per speaker watts be enough 4 the pro 80s. NEVER SEEM TO HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!!!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-15-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
pretty sure you can't hit a 2Ohm load unless you add another pair of 80's, 60's or MB8's wired in parallel.

130 is pretty light. i think there are some that run them in the 150'ish range that are happy. 200W RMS continuous is recommended.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-15-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
My thoughts, sell that amp and get a 2 chnl like the zx550.2 or the Wet Sounds Syn2 for the Pro80 tower speakers. But I do have a zx650.4 out there driving a pair of Pro 80's wired in bridge mode = 325 watts rms to each if I remember right.

As far as ohm's and loads go, the speaker(s) determine what the amp "sees" and therefore what it puts out. To get a 2ohm load, you would need to wire both 80's in parallel, but the 2 speakers will split what power the amp delivers......instead of each speaker getting the 2ohm power delivered. At 2ohm, you could only use 1 chnl of the amp, and the 2ohm output would be the same, maybe less even, as running each Pro 80 on its own chnl.

(Message edited by chpthril on May 15, 2009)
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-15-2009, 1:13 PM Reply   
Tony-

The ZX650.4 will deliver 325x2 into a single pair of 4-ohm speakers. You use the amplifier in bridge mode to do this.

With a single speaker going to a single amp channel, there is no way to "wire to 2-ohms for more power". In a single speaker connection it is the speaker only that presents the load, NOT the wiring.

On a related note:
If you want stereo sound, be sure to use y-cords at the RCA inputs. You want the left signal going to half of the amp, and the right signal to the other half. If you connect both left and right to amp one, and then use the fader switch to drive amp2, you are in effect mono-summing the amp so that Amp1 and AMP2 are playing the same mono signal.

I think brother Tim will be better served to tell you if the ZX650.4 is appropriate for the Wetsounds speakers.

EDIT:

I agree with TigeMike with regard to powering a pair of speakers with an appropriate amp. Bridging is overused, misunderstood, and not appropraite most of the time.

I seem to remember that you already have something conencted to the ZX650.4. Tell us everything you intend to connect to it, please? SOemthing tellls me we are not responding with all information under consideration!

Phil
Kicker

(Message edited by philwsailz on May 15, 2009)

(Message edited by philwsailz on May 15, 2009)
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-15-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
Dude-

Tony, you have too many posts/threads running.

I just went and dug; is this the same ZX650.4 that you already have a pair of KMT6 tower speakers and the RF sub on?

Phil
Kicker
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-15-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
my bad, i should have looked up the specs on that amp. i thought he was already bridging it. :-)
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-15-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
kmt6 are gone pro 80s now yes rf sub is also on amp. sorry i thought thread limit was 68
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-15-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
hah hah hah... no worries.. I just look at a lot of stereo posts every day; it is easy to not remember when you were already visiting with someone on same or similar subject; want to make sure to give you good information in light of the total system...

I see. Since you have the sub on half of the amp, you only have 2-channels to run the Wetsounds with, and the only way is one speaker per channel, at 120 watts per speaker.

If you want more you have two quick options. Buy a new amp for the sub and run the ZZX650.4 in (gasp) bridge mode, (by now you should know I do not like bridging) on the Pro 80's. In that mode, the amp can deliver roughly 325 watts to each Pro 80.

The other option is to buy a dedicated amp for the Pro 80's, as TigeMike suggested. the ZX550 is probably the best one from Kicker.

It sounds like you are still in experimentation / dialing-in mode and are trying to find the ideal setup. That is for sure okay. At times it is fun; at others, frustrating. In the end, you may or may not find that the ZX650.4 has a place in your system...

Hang in there and keep at it and you will figure out what works for you, but no, in answer to the original question, there is no way to wire a single 4-ohm speaker to 2-ohms. Additionally, and I think TIm will agree, you really want more power than that on the Pro 80.

Cool?

Sorry if it sounded like I was hammering on ya; again, just wanting to make sure I give you the VERY best information!

Have a GREAT weekend Tony! (seems like it should be written on a cereal box)

Phil
Kicker
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-15-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
Did you fix the cause of the overheating that popped up after the sub was installed?

My gut says that the fan is fighting the effect, not the cause $.02

I guess you dont need the Pro 80's I ordered for ya?
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-15-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
thanks 4 all the help TIME 4 MORE AMPS. ITS JUST MONET IF THAY WANTED U TO HOLD ON TO IT THAY WOULD PUT HANDLES ON IT
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-15-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
O i forgot the real problem is the six cabin speakers that my clearion amp runs was trying to stay away from 3 amps thanks