Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old    alanp            12-04-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
im in az and i know i should be riding now but i just dont seem to have the motivation in the winter that i have during the summer. by the time winter rolls around im ready to climb back on the dirt bike and get off the wakeboard for awhile. this may be sacrilegious on this website but i know i cant be the only one.
Old     (wakebadass)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-04-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
I never have that problem due to the fact that i only get warmth 6-7 months of the year. I could see how you would get a little burnt out if you can ride all season long. With me i need to ride motocross and wakeboard during the same season. then when winter rolls around im forced to put away the board re-jet my bike and ride indoor and snowmobile.

Just do what feels right to you, If you feel its time to put away the board for a while then do it. Just make sure you go back to the board eventually!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-04-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
when i first started riding, it didn't matter to me; cold, rain, fog...whatever! i wanted to ride! now, i'm more like, "eh, spring isn't too far off."
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-04-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
it makes me not as excited to go wakeboarding but i still do. by far it is much better in the spring-fall seasons.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-04-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
Better water w/noone esle on the lake should be enough motivation for anyone. But I do alot of snowboarding during the winter.
Old     (jbudnik)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-04-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
Come on get out there! No one ever wants to ride, I can never find anyone.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-05-2006, 5:48 AM Reply   
I don't get as aggressive in the cold as I would if it were warm. But I still get amped up! Rode saturday as a matter of fact.
Old    walt            12-05-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Sometimes I don't feel like riding when it's cold but if I go for more than a week without riding I a little cranky.
Old    josh_dcwake            12-05-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
AS soon as the temp dropped below 75 I was done. I enjoy riding in my shorts and thats it. its summer sport to me. Just like snowboarding is a winter sport, dont snowboard in the summer do you?
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-05-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Josh I can't agree more. If it's below 75 find I'm making myself ride.
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-05-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
But You would if You could, ah?
We're going pretty much year round. The Cold is not to much of a problem. What makes it harder is that it's dark so early. No riding after work and no way to get more than 2 sets a day on weekends.
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-05-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Rode last Saturday at Bartlett with just a 1MM long sleeve top, water was at 61 air was probably at 70 with a slight wind. It was a little cold, but definitely worth it. I too don't ride as aggressive in colder water. I really want to ride switch a lot this winter so i get a head start for this summer.

Saw some filming going on with a white Epic and Jimmy Wolf. It was a humbling experience.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-05-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
"by the time winter rolls around im ready to climb back on the dirt bike and get off the wakeboard for awhile"

I'm all about the dirtbike in the winter. I just started, but the thrill is just as exciting. You'll challenged and scared, and then...you progress and start killin it. Nothing like you and all your buddies, side-by-side, rippin through the forest.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-05-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
I haven't lost my motivation to ride now that it's gotten cold, but my opportunities to ride seem few and far in-between. It seems like every weekend there is something going on... Christmas parties, hanging Christmas lights, Cowboy games, etc. The worst thing though is my seasonal allergies.

Last year was the first time in 38 years that I had been affected by allergies. I was sick with allergy related symtoms 5 different times between October and February. Now it is hitting me again this year. I've missed out on opportunities to ride the past two weekends because of being sick in bed with allergies. I may have to get out this weekend even if it kills me .
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-05-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Took a road trip towards Reno and hit the slopes yesterday morning, rode for 3 hours. Went home and dropped the boat in the water and did a session... I have to say I think it's my last for the year, the water is freezing.

I've always wanted to snowboard and wakeboard in the same day... Now I can say that I have
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-05-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
ya i loose motivation, its hard to ride when your bones are so stiff they feel like any impact would break your body. Usually i start my skatin and snowboard season about now. I took a hard fall on my elbow the other night at the skatepark. It was so darn cold that the pain shot through my whole arm. I couldnt move my hand for 20 minutes. Thats why i hate the cold and loose motivation. It just feels too good when its warm out
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-05-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
I went through about 8 years where I rode year round as much as possible. After a while my obsession felt more like training than having fun. for the past 3 years I only ride on really nice sunny warmer winter days.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-05-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
I just tell myself that here in Florida the warmer winter days are the same as other's best summer days across the US. If they can handle it, so can I. If you get over the mental issues, the physical stuff is a piece of cake...
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-05-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
ride more in the winter (less idiots).
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-06-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
The older you get, the harder it gets to get into cold water, wetsuits and drysuits. Anyways, air was 84 last weekend and water was 78.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-06-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
Alan, Don't worry spring is almost around the corner. We'll be back.
Old     (bwog21)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-06-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
I love the winter: no other boats, well thats about the only plus except the fact that i love riding, i'd go this weekend but i have finals next week and have to study. Mind over matter
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-06-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
I agree with those who need a little warmth to ride. Once the air temp is in the 60s and water temp is below that, it's time to switch activities. That and it getting dark at 5:00 p.m. adds to the gloom. I'm content looking at my boat (or just going out to sit in the boat) and cleaning it up for spring. But that's just now in December. By February my family can't stand me and my obsession with weather and water temp. watching. By March I'm way past ready to start the new season...
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-06-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
Delta water temp is down to 50 degrees but it was sure nice out there this afternoon.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-06-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
50?????? brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-06-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
Our pool is 50 degrees and my hand was completely numb after 5 seconds cleaning out the skimmer. Whole body immersion, no thanks!
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-06-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
All I ride in is cold water.
Old     (brody)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-06-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
I went to the Liquid Force February Freezeride, the water was mid 50's, air 60, and I trunked it for a t-shirt. When I jumped in I began to question myself if it was worth that shirt. I always wonder right as I'm about to jump in if it will be fun, and it always is.
Old     (berryessa_mom)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-06-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
Today, water temp 49, air 62, 12 yr. girl tearing it up in glassy water..... PRICELESS!!
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-07-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
Is the weather wierder this year than any other year? Here in central cali (visalia, fresno) its been sunny and pretty warm. Its freakin december 7th and ive seen rain once. And ya i am complaining when its a freakin nice day all sunny and the water temp is in the 40's. Kinda bums you out you know.