Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old    ffonsok            04-07-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Hey, ive been riding for 2 seasons
I was riding on a Hyperlite Motive 140, which is a beginner board, and I feel like I have grown out of it

I am throwing down wake to wake, but the Motive doesn't give me the pop i need
I can indy grab, tail grab, 180 wake to wake, and I land 360's about 25% of the time (still working on it)

I got a size XL 06 Liquid Force Transit
Should i get the 06 Substance board or the 06 PS3??

Also, I am 5'10" 145 lbs.... I felt like the 140 Motive was way too big for spins... what size of the new board should i get?
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-07-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
watson, u can ride the board 2-3 cm shorter due to the width (surface area) so a 134 should by choice...

(Message edited by deltawakerider on April 07, 2006)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-07-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
I think you should try out a loose 3 stage board before moving from a continuous, large center fin, design board! A board that i'm postive you'd love coming from a Motive would be a Liquid Force Trip w/out the center fins!
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-07-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
i haven't ridden the PS3 but i do have the 138 substance. and in my opinion the substance has greatly improved my riding...
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-07-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
I just got a demo PS3 with murray bindings, I will let you know how it rides after the weekend since I'm riding a 140 motive!
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-07-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
Trip is to loose(w/o center fins) and does not hold well going up the wake.Go with the Watson.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-07-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
Let me guess Jim, you ride your Watson with the center fin. It's all preference, some like a looser ride and quicker release off the wake. They are both good boards and the PS3 is based off a Substance (loosely) as that is what Soven was riding before his PS3. Try them out and see what works best for you, at 5'10" I wouldn't go less than a 136cm, at that height you want a long enough board to have the stance as wide as it will go without still being too narrow.
Old    ridersrefuge139            04-07-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
I ride the substance 138, and I'm 180lbs. I love it. It has a ton of pop. But this year I'm probably going to switch over too the PS3 because of softer landings, but i'm going to be giving up a little pop.
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
Stay with Hyperlite and get a Murray. Has great pop, lands soft, and really flows you out in the flats. I would really get a Murray. I have on now and planning to get one later on.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-07-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
i might reccommend a 3ds.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-07-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
I don't know you but I think Tyler and MadChild have the best idea with staying with a Shaun Murray board or a 3DS... just because both are more advanced then the Motive but are not 3 stage..... I just hate to see you get a 3stage having not ridden one (if that is the case) and not know what your getting into and hate it!
Old    ffonsok            04-07-2006, 10:08 PM Reply   
do board shops usually have demo days? I'm thinking that I want to try some of this first before i plop down the bling....

im going to call around
thanks for all the help!
peace
nathan
www.freeridesammamish.com
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-08-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
Nathan, go down to Wiley's in South Park and talk with Grant. He will help you out with whatever you need and be able to answer any questions you have. He knows his stuff and rides every board he can get his hands on. Phone # (206)762-1300, they are open until 4 today and then until 6 Mon-Fri.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-09-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
Nope Stephan,I ride the Watson w/ the center fin out.I justfeel the Trip did not hold the edge all the way thriu the wake.I almost killed myself hittin the wake w/out my center on my trip.It felt like it slid out behind me and sent me into raley position.
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-09-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
my vote is for ps3
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-10-2006, 5:51 AM Reply   
Ok, I rode this board with the Murray bindings this weekend, and I have to say, i wasn't really that impressed. The wake to wake pop is good but not anything super special. The board is really loose, and I don't know if i'm ready for that yet. It also seemed like a couldn't really set a good edge into the wake. But, that board might deff. take some getting used to. Also, the Murray bindings rock! I will have a pair soon and then decide on a board. I think I might try the 3DS or Murray 138 next. I was riding in 52 degree water with no issues! When I took the board off my feet, then they got cold! It was awesome, also, I was riding in some pretty nasty chop, so this isn't the best evaluation of this board! Hope this helps

Dave
Old     (chadilac)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
I prefer the Ps3 over the substance
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-21-2006, 9:53 PM Reply   
If you're looking for a more aggressive ride go with the Substance, the PS3 is a great board as well, it just rides very different from the Substance. Demo both if you can and choose from there.

No matter what I tell you about each board your riding style, weight placement, stance, body position and I'm sure there's more all impact how a board will ride for you. I might tell you one thing and you could feel different about how that board rides.
Old     (justinp)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
Both boards are great I rode the substance last year and the PS3 this year

substance
Upload
PS3
Upload