Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
I got tired of buffing out waterspots every other week on my boat. I tried what a lot of people have suggested, Vinegar. I can't believe how well it works. I purchased a bottle of Ducky awhile back and it doesn't work half as good as vinegar.
Quation is, can I use it full strength?

B-
Old    wakelvr            08-18-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
We use 50/50. 50% vinegar and 50% water.

Works really well and keeps the boat looking nice. I also know a few black hull owners who use this to keep their boats looking nice.

Smells great, eh?
Old    prestige            08-18-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
I use it 50/50 with water after any extended trip to the lake. I saw a website that mentioned 25% vinegar with 75% water.

I'd use vinegar on the gelcoat before the stronger acids. If vinegar doesn't get the stain out, then move on up to the cleaners containing oxalic acid, etc.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-18-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
I use 100% vinegar. It's cheap, so why dilute it? Also, the water here in Arizona is really hard and leaves the biggest waterspots I've ever seen. Maybe everywhere else in the country 50% is more than fine.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2003, 1:09 PM Reply   
Stefani,
I have to hold my breath while spraying it, it burns your lungs/sinuses badly.I'm waiting for the day that someone doesn't screw the cap on tight and it spills in my Suburban...*gasp!* It'll most likely be me.

B-
Old     (wakemonster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-18-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
yep, 100% works for me. AZ and Cali water is nasty on the gel coat. I just pour it onto a section of a towel and rub away those spots instantly...
Old    wakelvr            08-18-2003, 1:18 PM Reply   
ooh, yeah that would be bad. We keep ours under the observer seat along with a Turtle spray wax. The spray wax completely spilled one day and our boat smells like pina colada right now. Had it been the vinegar, we would be in trouble....

Oh, the 50/50 solution works great on windows too. No streaks, no water spots. It's better than windex.

Sorry we are going to miss you this weekend Barry (Blabel/Mel visit). Hopefully one day we'll meet you. My in laws are moving to Fresno next spring. Maybe one day we can meet you somewhere in your neck of the woods. Also, we do go to Don Pedro often. Do you ever head that way?

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   
You may want to get one of these 2 gallon pump sprayers to help you get the job done. They are about $20 at Costco.

sprayer
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2003, 5:50 PM Reply   
Stepfani,
Yep.. I won't be making it this w/e.. I'm going to be pretty strapped for cash for the next few months. We just purchased some investement property that, because of the price we couldn't pass up. The problem is that we were not prepared *at all* to do this. I just can't spend any extra cash because I'm not sure how much this whole thing is going to cost me. If I had a few months to prepare it would be alright. I had 4 days notice... ahhhhh, Life on the edge!

We'll hook-up soon!

B-
Old    hockeyruss            08-18-2003, 6:46 PM Reply   
Somebody that needs a pull hook Barry up with Gas money...... Come on now, $50 for a day of wakeboarding in Cali ain't bad. Bring your own Vinegar!
Old    erlingl            08-18-2003, 8:12 PM Reply   
does it remove the wax
Old    tige_joe            08-19-2003, 6:43 AM Reply   
Read the bottle label of your vinegar......It's already cut to 5% acid.....Must mean 95% water already. I've always used it full strength.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2003, 8:52 AM Reply   
Russ,
Wakeboarding isn't a problem... I'm not that broke! heh. Stephani and crew live in a far away land and it would cost me more then I can spend to get up there and ride. I really hate having to be cheap. It'll pay off in a few months, though.

B-
Old    wakelvr            08-19-2003, 8:31 PM Reply   
Barry, as long as you can get yourself up here, I can guarantee you that you won't spend a dime once you get here.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2003, 9:35 PM Reply   
Awww, thanks for the offer, Stephani.. that's super kind of you! I'm so broke I couldn't even afford ot be a freeloader.. figure that one out!

I missed your question about Pedro. Yeah, we get up that way from time to time. I love that place. Perhaps, we can schedule a trip in October or something? Last year was a riot.

B-
Old    debsxstar            08-20-2003, 7:10 AM Reply   
i would like to know if it strips the wax as well. I have been using it and I still have wax on the boat but maybe it takes some of it off?? Anyone know?
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-20-2003, 10:55 AM Reply   
Using vinegar will strip the wax and any other protectants you have (303, etc) from the gel coat. The higher the percentage you use, the faster it will stip off the wax.

When you use it, you are basically giving the boat a mild acid bath.
Old    wakelvr            08-20-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
Hmm, in the last 4 years of using vinegar, I haven't noticed any stripping. Anyone else have this problem? If this is true, then yikes...
Old    exdeckboater2            08-20-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
The only problem I have is when I am spraying it and the wife or kids are near and get the over spray. I get yelled at very quickly and very loudly!!
Old    viabaja            08-20-2003, 8:44 PM Reply   
Add olive oil! It helps!
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-21-2003, 12:32 PM Reply   
I'm curious- What does olive oil do for it?
Old    aka Bradley Beach            08-21-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
Does that cut the smell?
Old     (susieq)      Join Date: May 2002       08-21-2003, 1:11 PM Reply   
Yes, vinegar strips wax off, but...use quick spray wax after the vinegar...problem solved.
Old    frontsideshiftd            08-21-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
I think the olive oil is for making salad dressing