Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-30-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
Right now I have a 98 Sunsetter VLX. I love the wake and all but I'm thinking of getting a newer boat. Will the wake behind an XLV even compare to the wake behind my VLX with 2000 to 3000 lbs in ballast?
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-30-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
Oh will it ever. The XLV throws an amazing wake. With the Gravity Games ballast in it, it will blow your mind away. In my opinion the shapes of the wakes of the XLV and VLX are very close. You will definitely be happy with the xlv.
Old    jetpilot313            12-30-2004, 5:41 PM Reply   
greg ride behind the xlv fully weighted first then make a decision
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-30-2004, 8:24 PM Reply   
The XLV's wake is nothing short of amazing.
Old     (redhedstepchild)      Join Date: May 2003       01-10-2005, 6:41 PM Reply   
moomba says that if you overweight the XLV the wake will get washy...BS! i work at a bodyshop and had 12 FULL grown men (let the sausagefest jokes begin!) and full factory ballast of 1300lbs out after work one night and the wake was f'n huge. if you like a big a$$ wake, demo an XLV, take your extra bags with you and sink that thing to see if you like it.

imo the factory sacs are enough especially with 6-8 people in the boat which still leaves plenty of room for everyone to chill
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-11-2005, 5:30 PM Reply   
why are you looking for a newer boat?
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-12-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
Trace'that's a good question! My boat has been great. I've had it for 3 years now and I'm just ready to try something newer. I would probably be happy if I just added PP and a Wedge but thats alot of $$ when I know I'll be selling it in the next year or so.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-12-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
Why not look at a newer (02-03) Malibu with all the options you want?

You have confidence that Malibu makes great boats, why risk going with a boat that doesn't have the same quality and confidence reputation?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-13-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
cool, just wondering. i have a rigged out 96 VLX (Monsoon, PP, swoop tower, stereo, auto ballast, etc), and there isn't a boat on the market that i'd consider a big step up over mine. it could use some new vinyl within the next couple seasons, but i have been extremely pleased with the boat, and could sell it for almost what i have in it. FWIW.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-13-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
Yea Trace, you're right. Theres probably not a boat out that is a big step up. Especially for the money.

I've thought about the XLV's or even a stripped down vRide. I really like to build my own stereo and ballast system. Imo there's not a factory system that is better than the one I put in. Around 2300# in 3 to 4 min.

Where is your vinyl bad? I need to replace mine on the back cushion where everyone steps on it to get to the swim platform. It has come apart at the seam about 12 inches long.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-13-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
personally, i do think the XLV is the best value around as far as new boats. a friend of mine sells them, and i've been in & behind one a few times, but i really have no motivation to start making boat payments again. :-)

your ballast sounds sweet, i'm actually planning on switching from Simers back to an aerator system this winter in hopes of getting times, noise, and amp draws down.

my vinyl is splitting in the same place on the rear & observer seat. (96 was not wraparound style) also, i have a small patch of dark blue in the middle of the rear deck that is totally deteriorated. everything else still looks really good.

the 1-piece rear deck is probably the only thing about my boat i really dislike. i hate that stupid slow power lift, and have considered changing it to a 3-piece many times. i always end up deciding it's just more work than it's worth.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-13-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
How was the wake behind the XLV compared to your VLX? It sounds like you weight your VLX exactly like I weight mine. 1200# in rear, 550# in walk through and between 500 and 700# in the locker.

As far as payments go, thats another reason I was thinking about trading up. I could get real close to what I'm paying now with a newer boat(with a few more years added of course).

I saw a pic of a 98 vlx where the guy changed to a 3 piece and it looked sweet. My motor broke on my power lift last year and I like it better without it. I just need to put some sort of shocks on it like on the older X star 1 piece decks.

On my ballast I use a Rule 3800 with a 1-1/4" scupper to fill and an attwood 750 on each sack to drain. All plumbed with 1-1/4 PVC. The only thing that sucks about it is the manual PVC shut offs, but thats not too bad.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-13-2005, 8:49 PM Reply   
i've only ridden the XLV wake with factory ballast, but it was pretty nice for factory. i'd say it's definitely wider than mine, but nothing like an X-30 or something. with more weight it would probably get as tall and maybe a little peakier than mine, depending on the wakeplate, of course.

we surf a lot too, and i could actually keep up with the factory wake on the XLV. (6'-3" - 200 lbs, on my LandLock that day)