Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-03-2010, 8:51 PM Reply   
A few weeks ago I buffed out my boat with macguires #49 oxidation remover then followed up with macguires#51 carnuba boat wax. The last 3 trips to the lake I have wiped down with vinigar and water mix right after getting off the lake and today the oxidation is starting to show again. It looked great right after I spent the day detailing it now not so much. Just wondering what I may have missed when waxing.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-03-2010, 9:31 PM Reply   
I've used meg's 49 oxidation remover and it is pretty weak when it comes to compounds.

Now you said buff, if you used a buffer you went at it wrong. You need to go after oxidation with a high speed rotaty polisher.

You may have to wetsand a little bit, but that is a whole another topic and instruction set.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-03-2010, 9:53 PM Reply   
I dis use a high speed polisher with the oxidation remover and got rid if most of it or so it seemed. I really don't want to go the wet sand route.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-03-2010, 10:14 PM Reply   
Could it be that the vinegar and water mix that you are using is removing the wax coating. Maybe just wipe it down without the vinegar?
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-04-2010, 12:27 AM Reply   
Wet sanding is the only way to do it right.

Or you can spend countless hours doing it the previous way with the same results. my .02
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-04-2010, 5:24 AM Reply   
Have to agree with Jim.

I haven't used the meguirs stuff but my opinion is their products have gone down hill over the years. You can polish with compound (3M superduty) and do it every couple years, or wetsand and then polish with compound and be done with it (provided its kept up). I polished mine ~5 years ago with compound only and the oxidation started showing again in about 3. I'm leaving it until I have time to sand this time.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-04-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
Went through this same situation on my boat (black its the worst fro this) The first time I wetsanded it and buffed,polished and it lasted about a year to my own fault I didnt wax it during that year either so it faded again not near as bad though. This year I tried a product Aqua Buff its a compound that you spray with water and buff with a high speed buffer WOW this stuff works great. Its like wetsanding with a buffer. I followed up with meguires polish and marine wax and it came out great. My boat only fades real bad on the back so I had the cover extended to cover the transom to try and help with the fading and I will wax it every couple of months this time as well.I bought my boat as a fixer- upper as you will see from the pics she was rough when I first got her but I now have her back on the right track.
Attached Images

Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-04-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
I have heard good stuff about the Aqua Buff products and some of the Fiberglass Shops in TX use it.

I would try that product before resorting to wetsanding.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-04-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Thanks, I will look into the aqua buff. Just don't want to mess with wetsanding since I heard it is easy to make bad mistakes. My transom is maroon so the oxidation made it look almost gray. That black looks awesome now! Wish I would have heard of it before the megs.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-04-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kko13 View Post
Went through this same situation on my boat (black its the worst fro this) The first time I wetsanded it and buffed,polished and it lasted about a year to my own fault I didnt wax it during that year either so it faded again not near as bad though. This year I tried a product Aqua Buff its a compound that you spray with water and buff with a high speed buffer WOW this stuff works great. Its like wetsanding with a buffer. I followed up with meguires polish and marine wax and it came out great. My boat only fades real bad on the back so I had the cover extended to cover the transom to try and help with the fading and I will wax it every couple of months this time as well.I bought my boat as a fixer- upper as you will see from the pics she was rough when I first got her but I now have her back on the right track.
BTW.. did you use the aqua buff 1000 or 2000? Their site shows 2 strengths. I can't beleive how cheap it is either.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-04-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
What did you do with your drip stencils ? tige
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-04-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
Lose the vinegar and pick up a gallon of the Babes Boat Bright. The vinegar strips any wax off. Babes adds wax each time you use it. Use a very good paint sealant every other month after you polish the oxidation off, then just the Babes every time you pull it out of the water.
Old     (moman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-04-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
I would agree with Sparky. I have a 2006 with a black hull. I took the logo sticker off a week ago. My dealer told me that I would probably have to buy another logo sticker to cover the area since he expected it to be faded to two tone. I have used babes (green) after every outing for years. I just peeled polished and waxed and it looks like it just came off the show room floor. I love babes. It has a UV inhibitor along with wax. Good stuff.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-04-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
Where's the best (cheapest) place to buy the whole babes bucket
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       04-04-2010, 5:58 PM Reply   
not sure about the cheapest, Joe. but you can order it straight from Babes' website. the extra gallon of green boat bright is well worth the $ and the micro fiber towels and storage bucket are very handy.

http://www.babesboats.com/prodBabesKit.php
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-04-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
I used the 1000.