Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-04-2009, 11:28 PM Reply   
Ive lost a couple of fins off of my 08 Slingshot Response. I guess they have just stripped and fallen out. I have heard Slingshots customer service is amazing. I was just curious who and where I should contact to get some replacement fins.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-05-2009, 4:01 AM Reply   
http://buyslingshotsports.com/support
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-05-2009, 5:18 AM Reply   
To prevent fin loss, put some thread lock (locktite) on the fin bolts before mounting. I also hear that super glue will work too.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-05-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
super glue works wonders. i just squirt a small amount into the fin holes, and then thread the bolt in. i do this versus putting the glue directly on the bolt, as this method can get messy and cause you to get glue on the top of your board.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-05-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
to be honest the locktite doesnt work too great. i have lost 4 fins so far. i wouldnt use superglue either because then your fins are permanent, and i have bumped my board wrong carrying it one day and it took a chunk out of another fin. so that makes five. The locktite got me through the end of the season but im definately going to need to call them for the new ones. Hey zach are yours at the bottom of rayhubbard too? ive got two there and two others scattered in lakes down south lol.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-05-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
you can still break the glue loose if you want to get them off...just need to unscrew the bolt (might take some elbow grease). you need to avoid getting glue between the fin and board though.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-05-2009, 6:51 AM Reply   
Email slingshot support and request the 09 fins, you will have to drill your fin holes on your board a little bit, but they are made much better. Screw them on once and you don't have to worry about them again.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-05-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
i think you'd first want to confirm with SS that drilling your own holes for fins will not void your warranty. chances are it won't but it's definitely be something i'd make sure of first.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-05-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
well, i've had to get them to send me fins 3 seperate times, so this time they decided to send me the 09 fins. They told me that I would have to drill the fin holes out a bit to fit the 09 fins. I'd assume that they wouldn't suggest that I do something to avoid the warranty.
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-05-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Haha yea Kevin, I have some fins sitting on the bottom murky floor of Ray Hubbard. I need to have the ability to take the fins off for riding cable, which is why havent super glued them on
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-05-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
The problem is that the board flexes (flat) and the fins don't. That puts a ton of stress on the threads in the fin. I found wone after it blew off and the threads inside the fin was stripped out. The fins actually pop off most often when you case the wake and the board flattens out. I put 1/16" rubber washers between the fins and the board then took shoe gue and rand around the outside where the fin matches the board allowing the board to flex a tiny bit without poping off the fins. The best fix would be to permenantly bond a threaded insert in the fins then use rubber washers and nuts on the top of the board.... so SS if you are out there get on it! It really sucks and is expensive to mess with something as simple as fins every time you ride.....
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-05-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
^^ that is the exact theory i came up with too ^^ the flex of the board on the tip and tail bangs those fins pretty good.

I also think your idea of the shoe goo is GENIUS Scott! I totally started imagining an advanced factory made fin that had a layer of rubber or something on the base to maintain flushness with the bottom of the board... maybe someone out there can point out a flaw in this idea, but i don't see one. (other than being expensive probably)

if anyone does use the shoe goo idea i can recommend using an ice cube to smooth out the gunk. the goo wont stick to the ice cube and is a great tool for smoothing the stuff out.

i also kinda like my idea of molded-in ABS based fins that would flex with the board but would be tunable, even down to like .1 inch if desired ;) but again, i don't know how feasible it would really be, just brain storming

----------------------------------------------

The FIX i settled with (for now) was using Hyperlite aluminum fins on my board. The HY fins ARE FLAT (SS fins are curved slightly to fit better to an UN-flexed board) on the base and will leave a small gap between the fin and board on the tip and tail of the fin. i have never had to re-tighten those fins.

I am also glad to hear of Brandon Kee's experience. Answered a question of mine i have had a while about what would have to be done when putting the new fins on older boards, 'cause i had heard wider bolts were being used.

(Message edited by wakerider111 on January 05, 2009)
Old     (wakeboardingzach)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-05-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
i lost mine too. I dont like slingshot GO RONIX!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-05-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
Don't ride fins, simple as that.
Old    59yroldkid            01-05-2009, 9:41 PM Reply   
Nick Tomsyck has the best idea. Actually, I'm finless too, but probably not for very long.

Slingshot fins, at least the '07's, are made of pretty soft material, and the threads are easily stripped, if over-tightened, or otherwise abused. However, there is a product called Heli-Coil, http://www.helicoil.in/helicoil.htm which can be used to replace the stripped threads. (This is assuming that the fins are thick enough to withstand having oversized holes drilled into them). My 1" and .75" fins are still in pristine condition, so I haven't tested this out.

The heli-coil is a thread insert that can be placed inside the fin after drilling out the holes in the fin and using a special heli-coil tap to re-thread the holes for the heli-coil insert. Once the heli-coil is threaded into place inside the fin, the original screw can be threaded into the heli-coil and the fin can be re-attached.
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-05-2009, 10:02 PM Reply   
I have tried riding it finless. It was interesting and fun, but I just enjoy it more riding with fins. Helps me stick landings better
Old    wiz            01-06-2009, 5:15 AM Reply   
i went thru @ 4 or 5 fins & finally switched to metal fins. i grabbed some of the smaller fins off of my old belmont or was it parks? anyway, i havent lost a fin since. i doesnt limit the flex of the board either. the threads are as willing to strip since they're metal. i rode it all season & never lost a fin. try it out & see what u think.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-06-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
the 09' fins stopped this issue I believe.
Old    Slingshot            01-06-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
The 09 Fins are way better then the 08. No more fin stripping issues. Hey Zach, shoot me an email with all your contact info, and I will get you taken care of!