Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old    cdn_wakeboarder            10-11-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
i'm planning on moving to orlando within the next few months and was wondering if anyone knew of any good areas to live..i don't want to get an apartment then realize im in a really bad area of the city. so does anyone from orlando have any suggestions, preferrably near owc..nothing too expensive either..maybe $600/mth max. thanks
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-11-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
Good luck on finding an inexpensive apartment, since just about every single one was bought for condo conversion.
There's nothing "nice" anywhere near OWC for the price range you want.
Here are a few place to look:
http://www.rentnet.com
http://www.rent.com
http://www.apartments.com
http://www.mynewplace.com
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-11-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
You better get a few roommates if you want to live someplace nice in O-Town. You might try areas around Orlando.
Old    cdn_wakeboarder            10-11-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
well im not looking for anything super nice just not..ghetto lol. so would it be better to live somewhere like clermont instead? im not really familiar with the area so any suggestions would help a lot.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-11-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
What kind of work, if any, are you looking for? If its super high tech, you will probably need to look around Orlando. I live Winter Haven and the cost of living around here is more reasonable than Orlando. Other towns like Clermont would probably work as well. It all comes down to what you want. If you want the "Big city" lifestyle, then Orlando, Tampa etc, is what you should look into. If you can want in a smaller town, your $600 can go farther.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-11-2006, 6:21 PM Reply   
by big city he means suburbia, not a chicago/new york experience
Old    cdn_wakeboarder            10-11-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
Ok well here was my original plan..i don't want to move down there permanently..just for about 6 months to do the whole wakeboarding thing then go from there. I was hoping to get a job somewhat related to wakeboarding in a board shop or something..i'm not really too picky though. I realize I probably sound like any other typical person wanting to move to orlando and wakeboard all day and i realize it's not as easy as it sounds when you don't know anybody but it's better than living in canada and only boarding 3-4 months a year so I at least want to give it a shot, even if that means only ever riding at owc.
Old     (rippleeffect)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-11-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
You may want to call one of my team riders, Bret Smith who did the same thing you're doing when he moved here (Orlando) from Oregon a couple years ago. He has a rented condo and is looking to split it with a roomate.Email me at Todd@undergroundproducts.com and I'll get you his number.By splitting a place or renting a spare room you can stay well within your budget, but renting an apartment alone could go over 6 bills easy. Try the Orlandsentinel.com click on classifieds then click on rooms for rent. Sometimes you can even find one on a lake. See if you can reach Cobe Mikacich at his website mikker.com since he owns several lakefront rental houses and sometimes has riders moving in and out. Good luck!
Todd
Old     (rippleeffect)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-11-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
Correction: orlandosentinel.com I forgot the second "o" . Also try easyroommate.com and I noticed one person looking to rent a separate group of rooms right on Lake Conway- a great riding lake where several pros live.
Good luck!
Todd
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-12-2006, 2:04 AM Reply   
Hey Ryan,
If you find something, and are a bit unsure, send me an IM though Wakeworld or put another post up with your email address and I'll try to help. I'm 4th generation from Orlando, and know the place pretty well. You just have to figure out what you are looking for. If you want to be near OWC....look
in the south east - airport side of town. Semoran Blvd / Curry Ford Road area. Pretty safe part of town. Like any town there are "pockets" of areas that are just not good places to live...but it depends on your own personal taste so its truly a hard call to make online. I'd try to find a short term situation till you learn the town / what you like to do. I've had alot of staff move to town to an apartment, and are unhappy there once they figure things out. Todd has some good ideas above. That might be a good start. Good luck with your search.
Bill @ Performance.
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-12-2006, 5:44 AM Reply   
Whatever you do, stay away from the Kirkman, Metrowest side of town. Anything near Kirkman road you don't want. Wrong side of the tracks. You won't be able to afford anything on your own working in a boardshop, you'll definately need a roommate. You can email me and I'll give you more information. I live on the other side of town away from OWC, but it's alot better. I grew up near OWC and it's horrible over that way. Let me know if you want more information.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-12-2006, 6:36 AM Reply   
http://orlando.craigslist.org/roo/
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-12-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
Bro if you can only spend 600$ a month then you will most likely be in the ghetto.I live in Tampa and paid 900$ for a 800sq. foot place and that was a year ago.Apartments are expensive down here for a nice one. Get a roommate or do a room share type deal I did that when I started out in Cali and it worked out pretty well. Good luck be patient you dont want to rush into anything and get stuck.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-12-2006, 7:38 AM Reply   
Hey Tim, Orlando is "The Big City" to us country folk, lol...

Duffy, call me when you get a chance...
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-12-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
Eatonville
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-12-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
Pine Hills
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-12-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Dont listen to Ryan & Mike, lol. I think they are steering you in the wrong direction...
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-12-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
I know of a Pro wakeboarder who is renting his condo in Winter Haven on the Chain of Lakes. I think its around 900-1000 a month, it has 2 bed 2 bath so you could have a roommate easy. Its only 30 min from O-town and 45-60 min from Tampa.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-12-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
Is that $600/month with or without utilities ?

Eatonville- just a step away from Maitland and Altamonte Springs.
Pine Hills....white people are starting to ruin that neighborhood and income level is close to middle class as well.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-12-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
You might try emailing or calling some of the wake camps, depending on how much you know about riding and coaching. Around early spring they start hiring and most of their coaches are un-paid but they get to ride and stay at the camp for free
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       10-12-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
Tim
Clermont is a great area, but one thing you want to consider is where you're likely to work/ride. Traffic crosstown can be a real drag. Conway is a good area for riding and is quite central. I'm also thinking that a roommate is probably your best option - particularly if you're only here for 6 months - start-up costs can be tough. Good luck.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-12-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
Yes, my Pine Hills remark was a joke. I'd guess the Eatonville remark was too... I grew up in Maitland, on the chain of lakes there. That's a great area but kinda pricey. Some of the other suggestions are good... depends what else you're looking for in an area. When I went to UCF, I lived around the Waterford Lakes area. There's tons of housing out there that's reasonably priced. Not far from OWC. Winter Haven is good but kinda far away. Other suggestions are good tho.
Old     (jnelson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-15-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
I just moved here a year ago and I spent a day checking out several places. I ended up with a REALLY good deal downtown but there are plenty of places, closer to the water, for reasonable amounts. Although some make it sound hard, its easy. Take a weekend here and just look around. If you have any questions drop me an email.