Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-20-2016, 8:29 PM Reply   
So the wife FINALLY relented and gave me the okay for a new boat.

I have it down to the Supra SE, a g23 and the ri237.

I feel like I have a good grasp of the other two boats and I'm gravitating AWAY from the g23 (blasphemy) due to maneuverability on the water and EVERYONE on my lake has one.

So I went to the summer boat show in Dallas and didn't like the Centurion due to interior color scheme. I just couldn't look past it.

The G had the best fit and finish (bar none), but the Supra wasn't too far behind. I simply can't remember the Centurion as far as the fit/finish is concerned.

Is it a substantially inferior boat to the other two? Will I be disappointed with the fit/finish if I spend over $100k on it? Anyone have one or ridden one? Your thoughts?

This will be mostly for surfing, however the kids will tube, ski and wakeboard occasionally.

I also read that a 25 ft. ri may be coming out. If so, I'd consider that. Anybody with advice to stay away from a first year hull?

Thanks a lot all!
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       09-21-2016, 8:08 AM Reply   
I just saw on Centurion's instagram a pic of the RI257 badge. Looks like they are going to have it at the world wakesurfing championship.

We have a Supra SE that I absolutely love. I would agree that the G23 is a notch above the SE in fit and finish. Both will put out an awesome wake and surf wave with a small nod going to the G23 on the wake as well. But then again most G's will run you a chunk more than the SE.

My only experience with Centurion was crawling around a RI237 at the boat show in January. First impressions was I noticed the vinyl did not seem as high quality as others and the boat(interior) felt a little inferior to other top brands. Dash looked sweet with the dual screens next to each other though! I've always liked Centurion's gel lines as well. If you are looking to surf almost exclusively then I'm sure an RI will be a beast for that.
Old     (BLucas86)      Join Date: Apr 2016       09-21-2016, 8:40 AM Reply   
Take a look at the 2017 Tige RZX. Its a total beast!
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-21-2016, 9:21 AM Reply   
I think the new Centurions are pretty sweet. Really like the tower and RAM fill ballast. Plus, Nautique is now involved... gotta like that.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-21-2016, 9:58 AM Reply   
If maneuverability on the water is a concern, I wouldn't touch the G or the Centurion. The G is a whale, and the Centurion has a deep V hull, which means it inherently takes turns wide and rolls over quite a bit. The SE, on the other hand, drives like a 20' direct drive despite being an almost 25' boat. Also, if you want to ski occasionally and have kids that want to wakeboard, a deep V is your worst nightmare. No way to mellow out the wake for skiing and impossible to get a clean wake at low speeds for beginner wakeboarders. Just some things to think about!

People will hype the fact that Nautique owns Centurion now, but the truth is that nothing as changed (personnel, build process, materials) since the change in ownership, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

Don't take it from me though. Give them a drive and see what works for you.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       09-21-2016, 11:58 AM Reply   
I will second the maneuverability of the SE. One of the main compliments we get from other towboat owners who have driven it was how great it handles for the size
Old     (lucas200397)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-21-2016, 2:46 PM Reply   
Aaron Douglas, where are you located ? I have a hookup at a Centurion dealer that will beat anyone's price new and has hands down the best customer service. If you are interested in dealing with a Florida dealer they are very accommodating and honest people to deal with. (Disclaimer) I don't own a Centurion, I do a lot of business with them due to the service I have received over several years and see how they take care of their customers.
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-21-2016, 3:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlzelenik View Post
I will second the maneuverability of the SE. One of the main compliments we get from other towboat owners who have driven it was how great it handles for the size

Totally agree I have a 2016 SE450 it handles like in direct drive boat.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-21-2016, 7:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprafly08 View Post
So the wife FINALLY relented and gave me the okay for a new boat.

I have it down to the Supra SE, a g23 and the ri237.

I feel like I have a good grasp of the other two boats and I'm gravitating AWAY from the g23 (blasphemy) due to maneuverability on the water and EVERYONE on my lake has one.

So I went to the summer boat show in Dallas and didn't like the Centurion due to interior color scheme. I just couldn't look past it.

The G had the best fit and finish (bar none), but the Supra wasn't too far behind. I simply can't remember the Centurion as far as the fit/finish is concerned.

Is it a substantially inferior boat to the other two? Will I be disappointed with the fit/finish if I spend over $100k on it? Anyone have one or ridden one? Your thoughts?

This will be mostly for surfing, however the kids will tube, ski and wakeboard occasionally.

I also read that a 25 ft. ri may be coming out. If so, I'd consider that. Anybody with advice to stay away from a first year hull?

Thanks a lot all!
My friends g23 maneuverability taught me how to drive my axis , 2013 cable steering super easy to turn surfing or wakeboarding and I witnessed my friend really power turn it when empty of water for a foil rider and this thing ripped those turns, you had a g effect from the centrifical force.
I disagree on the handling and for only 2800 lbs of factory sacs the surf wave is awesome .
I drive one every weekend and they handle you just have to drive them with more slow throttle snd turning that wheel with the power applied , the handle great
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-21-2016, 7:09 PM Reply   
Did see one gorgeous saltwater se 450 24.5 ft this weekend and was georgious , purple and black , flat light gray underneath and accents with a non painted grey galvanized trailer where it matched the gray panels , biggest boat trailer I have ever seen. 2016 or 17 with surf assist , but they really had not dialed up that surf wave so driving near it it did not look impressive yet we have been in a smaller one where it was sick , I wonder if the surf assist was the probkem?
Old     (jordanbd98)      Join Date: Apr 2016       09-22-2016, 7:28 AM Reply   
i would aslo be considering resale value into all that.
Old     (BoardCo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-22-2016, 8:20 AM Reply   
Here is a source of information you may find really helpful in comparing these boats:

http://www.utahwakeaddicts.com/boats-and-boards.html

Earlier this summer we did an event where 30+ riders were able to jump from boat to boat and test all of the aspects of it in a single day with relatively similar water conditions. You can look at what people had to say about them and also look at ratings regarding the surf wave, interior, etc.

The only activity done behind the boats was surfing, but the wakeboard wake on all 3 boats you mentioned are fantastic and can get bigger / better than you probably would ever want to take them.

The nice thing about this event is that the reviews were done by people that have no affiliation with any boat company and in general were intermediate level riders. There were a few good riders in the mix but most of them were your average joe and not a professional.

Hope this helps!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-22-2016, 9:19 AM Reply   
SE is probably best bang for your Buck.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-24-2016, 2:04 PM Reply   
I hit Powell every year on big trips that feature several different brands of boats. It's fun to try them all and see what's up. The Ri is a surf beast right up there with the G23. I don't really get the comment above about the deep V and its handling. The Centurions are very stable boats due in part to the deep V and they also offer a better ride in the chop than the more flatter bottomed brands. The deep V is probably the thing most responsible for the great surf wave. This should be no surprise though because Centurions have really been at the top of the surf game since the Enzo was introduced. The deep V doesn't make for a great wakeboard wake but it's plenty good. A savvy driver can get the wake cleaned up in a satisfactory manner.

I also enjoy the SE. Better wakeboard boat than the Ri and really good at surf as well although not as good as the Ri or the Gl. They do handle well but most boats in this category handle well enough. I've always enjoyed Supra boats and I think the SE is the best they've ever produced.

Again just my opinion but I think that as far as surf goes Tige is pretty close if not equal to the G and the Ri. This should be no surprise as Tige has always had one of the better surf hulls going back to the 22v.

Now that the wake systems have taken over most of the major manufacturers make a good surf boat. I think the big competition is in the price point boats. The Tige R series and the Supeme 238 are pretty amazing for the price.