Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-02-2009, 6:50 AM Reply   
I know that this has been covered before, but just curious. I got a deal on an '08 Murray with '08 Murray bindings and I had read that the bindings have bad pressure points. I have not had a chance to ride, but have been putting them on and wearing them for a few minutes often, and I can see where they can give pressure points. Now to the real question, several people have said that they break in and are fine, and others have said that you will probably need to wear socks like Murray does. Well, I just got my new Wakeboarding magazine and there is a shot of Murray wearing socks with the '09 bindings... So, is the socks thing a preference, or does it offer a better fit or what???
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-02-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
I can help as I have the same bindings. Yes, for me these bindings hurt my shin at first because of the thicker, stiffer tongue. That has now gone away and I think they are very comfortable. After just a few sets they do break in nicely.

The reason I wear socks has nothing to do with pressure points but because of the footbed. You can't really create this at home, but the first time you ride them you'll notice your foot will slip around a lot when the footbed gets wet because the footbed is so slippery. The socks do make the bindings more comfortable but I mainly wear them so that my foot won't slip around.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-02-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
If the tongue is to stiff, cut a small slit in the side of it and take some stuffing out.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-02-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
The tongue loosened up in mine. The bindings are comfortable overall, a little better with the socks. I may get something new this year because they are a little high on the leg for my taste.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-02-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
i have them also.....not an issue once broken in....tongue softens up.

you just have to try the sock thing.....then you will know.

personally i am a sock convert!
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-02-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
What kinds of socks do you guys wear? Just regular ones that are knee or almost knee-high?
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-02-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
I guess that I will try the sock thing, but what is it like putting on a wet pair of socks after your 1st set???
Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-02-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
Billy - bring 3 pair each time you head out. Always a dry pair to put on!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-02-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
"What kinds of socks do you guys wear? Just regular ones that are knee or almost knee-high?"

That's the great thing about bindings socks...bring your own style!

I normally rock white tube style socks. I tried some black business socks a couple of weeks ago to trick things up a bit, but they didn't feel nearly as good. For now I'm sticking to the thicker white formed tube style socks.

As Michael said, just bring several pairs. In the summer though your wet pair should be fairly dry by the time you take your next set.
Old     (michaelb)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-02-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
I have the 08 Murrays and i wear socks so i don't slip.I did'nt always the first time i hit a double up bare foot in them my feet sliped forward on the landing felt like i broke my foot.So i tried it with the socks and they don't slip also they help you come out so you don't start taring your legs apart.I have bad knees anyway so the socks thing is a must for me.also did you get yours from grizzly sports on ebay?
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-02-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
I actually got the board and bindings on Ebay just before Christmas but it was from JC Sports... I saw them listed, and I actually know JC I went to college when he was there and he opened up a boat dealership and pro-shop a few years after I was out of college... I think that he was in a cash crunch around Christmas because I was the only bidder and I got the board and bindings for (I am ashamed to say) $295 delivered... I felt like I stole them, and from someone I know... But, the deal was too good to pass up... I hope that I can get some riding in this year since I have a now 4 month old... And still trying to convince the wife that she will be fine out in the heat all day in the summer...
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-02-2009, 6:06 PM Reply   
why would people buy the bindings if they are uncomfortable and slippery? there are so many options out there that you dont have to settle.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-02-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
I didn't know about the slippery footbed until I had already bought them. You can't tell that from trying them on in the store. And they aren't uncomfortable to me. Most bindings take a few rides to break-in and these are no different.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-03-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
Do many of you guys take the stiffeners out? Does it have that much of an effect?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-03-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
The stiffeners on the sides? I took them out. They are really stiff as it is so I don't know why you would really need those. Maybe once they get broken in you would put them back in, but in the beginning they are going to be very stiff either way.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-03-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
I took out the "plates" on the side of the bindings as I found them too stiff.

I think they are comfty also... I am also a sock guy.... blk tube sock from local sports store.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-03-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
I agree they are very nice bindings....its just when you put them on first .....people overreacted to the tongue being stiff. But there is nothing wrong with these bindings.....the socks can be worn on any bindings and it will make a difference.....like wearing socks or no socks in any footwear.

I just wear black cotton work socks
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-03-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
Oh dear god. Not this again.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
While I can not comment on the break in process of the Murray bindings I can attest to the socks. I used to think that the socks were lame. When i got my new gear this year I was in my house and jumped into my bindings without taking my socks off and couldn't believe how easy it was to get in and out of them with the socks on, not to mention how comfortable it was with the socks. I tried the bindings on again and they were comfortable but the socks made them much more enjoyable
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-04-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
Callen - You need to rock the socks this year. It will change your life!