Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    wakegal02            05-04-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
What do you find to be the best way to get better at grabs? Just a lot of practice, or does standing on solid ground, holding the handle in the correct position while stretching into the wanted position for a grab help too? hope thats not too confusing, thanx for any input on this
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-04-2005, 5:15 PM Reply   
For me it was just lots of practice, although inverted grabs I work with on the diving boards.
Old    clubjoeskier            05-04-2005, 5:37 PM Reply   
Hi Wakegal!

I just got my first over the weekend...What I did to prep (in addition to working on good W2W technique), was get the body position while jumping, to get used to it mid air....after a few runs I just went for it. The first attempt was a touch, cuz I was apprehensive and didn't want to let go, but after that, it was all in the meat of the hand....if you're way past this, sorry....just sharing what I did.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2005, 1:49 AM Reply   
don't stretch, bring the board up to your hand in either the indy or stalefish position

once u've got this, poke out front of back leg to get different grabs, NEVER STRETCH!!
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-05-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
That is good advice there Harry, yeah bring the board to you definitely, and like Joe said have your W2W technique down
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
Do you do anything different for front vs back hand grabs? I find the front hand grabs much harder to do. Does the rope just need to be pulled in a little tigher on those grabs?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-05-2005, 11:31 AM Reply   
Get your w2w down. And just bring the board up to you. Do something easy like an Indy grab first.

then you can move on to something like a stalefish

then you can move on to a front hand grab trick like a melon(i think)
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-05-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
Make sure to pull the handle towards your hips. Having the handle out will not allow you to grab the board.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-05-2005, 3:01 PM Reply   

HERE IS ONE FOR YA, SONOMA COUNTY STYLE
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-05-2005, 3:02 PM Reply   

HAVE TO RE-SIZE SORRY
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
heres a few of mine sorry no style if i try to poke them out i will pull a hamstring or get a hernia,im old ! :-)

indy

stalefish

melan
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-05-2005, 6:06 PM Reply   
way to copy my grabs trick for trick, just kidding
poking out your stalefish is pretty easy, you just straigten your back leg, ive also been tweaking the board out in front of me
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-05-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
can I post some?
stalefish

trying to do a method

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2005, 9:21 PM Reply   
sick pics thane!

i'm older than you, right bill? here are some of me.

stale

tail

nuclear

(Message edited by dakid on May 05, 2005)
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-06-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
I am going out tomorrow, any grabs you would like to see?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-06-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
The second ones dope Joe. Here are a few pic's I've taken:

Jimmy Wolf

Billy North

Rob Struharik

Ryan Wolfe
Old    jacobv            05-06-2005, 7:29 PM Reply   
Hey me and my friend did this grab on the snow and on a skate now someone needs to do it on the wake... we're stuck in the hills with rain so we can't go out for a couple weekends so here it is:Grab like you would a method except go back between your legs and garb in the same spot you would an indy, so your arm is kina wrapped around yuor front leg.so... someone throw down it's a sick grab... it'd be increadibly sick if somone poked it out or did a glide... better yet an invert, yeah right.
Old    wickedwake            05-06-2005, 7:32 PM Reply   
Canadian bacon?
Old     (wakeboardbum)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-09-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
one of my fav's

Tweaked Indy
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-10-2005, 1:40 AM Reply   
Grabs rule!

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-10-2005, 1:55 AM Reply   
darren, your grabs suck! and no, you don't go big enough.

jk man! sick pics! when are you flying me down to the land down under?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-10-2005, 2:23 AM Reply   
Doors always open, boats always gassed, waters always butter. Just waiting for dakid to show up....
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-10-2005, 5:22 AM Reply   
Food for thought:
Can anyone figure out how many possible grabs there are?
Tryed it yesterday on the indo board but only got to about 24. Those were the basics. Then you get into the pokes and bones and I suppose the # about triples.
Old    wakeking933            05-10-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
does anyone have pics of a roast beef grab i cant seem to get it
Old    pappasurf            05-10-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
When I first started working on grabs I used to try and really rush the grab. What helped me was getting used to landing with just one hand on the handle. Once I was comfortable landing with just my front or back hand on the handle I was able to really get a fist full of board. Good luck on your grabs, hope this helps.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-10-2005, 10:48 AM Reply   
Some nice work here, boys and girls. Don't normally chime in on the trash talking front, but I did notice that Joe was giving someone grief for a tindy grab...well, last I checked you actually had to grab the board before you could claim it...uhhhh, semi-nuclear?

That being said, pretty damn cool looking anyways. I'd work on that so its a keeper, if its not already.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-10-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
dammit brian...the pic was taken a split second before i grabbed it! i got witnesses, dammit!!!

it's not a keeper yet. in my old age, it's really hard to be that flexible.