Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-26-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
Who out there is doing backside 360s? I'm goofy and much prefer the backside wake on my boat, so I ride backside and switch frontside probably 95% of the time.

I've been very close to riding out many 3's, but never kept up with the pocket. I can do it with a rope no problem. Anyone got any pointers? I'm not over or under rotating - more like I'm just losing too much speed during the trick.

For reference I'm 6'-2" / 220 lbs, and I ride an original Landlock with 1.3" A-wing fins, and I added one of the same fins to the front as well. I've ridden a lot of other skim style boards, and never found one I like more.
Old    surfdad            07-26-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
Break it loose at the top - you're a big boy Trace, that Lanklock is going to be sitting deep with the rails and fins grabbing at your weight.

Aletrnatively, Mark Sher of Inland has one of the most beautiful allieoop 3's around, he ollie's INTO the three and then brings his head around to finish.

James dragging a hand...this board has 4.5" deep fins, so it's imperative that it break free at the top. His rail grab, ala Kelly Slater, will speed him up and also allows a quicker rotation.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-26-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
Frontside 3's are one of my favorites trick to do. Riding heelside and spinning is the best. That is Technically a FRONTSIDE 360 though. Backside is when you spin your back towards the boat.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-26-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
You're right, frontside spin direction. My bad.

So you're saying I just need to be executing the trick higher on the crest, so the board spins around quicker? I think I'm too tall for a hand drag or grab to help me get the trick - either would slow me down.
Old    surfdad            07-27-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
Huh? Trace stated:

"Who out there is doing backside 360s? I'm goofy and much prefer the backside wake on my boat, so I ride backside and switch frontside probably 95% of the time."

Backside in this context is the orientation to the wake, not the rotation of the spin, as opposed to heelside which is associated more with wakeskating and wakeboarding, frontside and backside are surfing terms that are equivalent to toeside and heelside respectively...I understood you Trace.

I'm confused though, are you just turning up and into the wake to do your rotation? That's your spin issue, when you drag your hand, it's just enough to spin you. It's not enough to truly cause you to slow down. Dragging your rear hand will cause you to spin quicker and if the board has broken loose, you'll spin in place without fading back in the pocket.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-27-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
Right - in ocean surfing terms - my good wake is a right, and I'm goofy foot, therefore I surf backside. Drew's point was that the spin itself is a frontside rotation, which I also agree with. Clear as mud.

Yeah, I'm just kind of making a bottom turn and then hucking the 3 at the crest of the wake. I've tried a hand drag, but never really focused on it as a key to the trick.
Old    surfdad            07-27-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
LOL - does anyone refer to a surface three frontside regular as a frontside backside three? :-)

You can do the surface three like that, try a little ollie into the rotation. I don't have a decent picture at my fingertips, but this is the concept, ollie the board up on to the lip, if dragging your hand is problematic for you.

Upload