Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-22-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
I purchased a Airboom wakeboard tower from the only boat company in town. The bank that I bought the boat from is letting me refinance the loan to put the tower in so it doesn't cost me another loan payment-cool. They told me they would install it for $432.00(and put it into the refinance to). Me and my old man can install it ourselves for a hell of alot cheaper, weather it would be not-as-good, as-good-as, or even better I don't know. What would you recommend? them or us? There is another welder that my dad worked with that is a professional welder that says he can do it to for maybe cheaper? His work is absolutly awesome from what my dad says. If he does it can he make all the hardware or do I have to order it separate? Any ideas would be greatly helpful. I just don't want to get my ass scrude. Thanks.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-22-2004, 5:44 PM Reply   
i dont know much on the matter... but 432 buck for drilling some holes and attaching the tower to the boat seems like a kick in the ass
Old    walt            01-22-2004, 5:53 PM Reply   
Robert, I just did a tower install last week and it only took a few hours so I would say do it yourself. I bought a monster tower and it came with great instructions that made the job a snap ! And the best part was I got a great tower and racks for 1300.00 to my door. No sales tax and no shipping ! GOOD LUCK

Old    walt            01-22-2004, 6:09 PM Reply   
Hey Robert, Dont forget that when you drill through your Gel coat to keep your drill on reverse at all times or it will crack your gel coat. You might want to check out monstertower.com and you can down load their instructions for a couple of tips on the install
Old    zephlor            01-22-2004, 8:24 PM Reply   
Do it yourself! I put a Monster tower on my old boat and it was a piece of cake. By the way, what does welding have to do with it?

Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-22-2004, 9:24 PM Reply   
Kris-the guy that my dad knows will weld a tower together for me, but I have decided though to just purchase the one from my local shop. And thanks guy's...I will be installing myself.
oh by the way, I have never used a tower ever. how much different is it(night & day thing?)
thanks..late
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       01-22-2004, 10:58 PM Reply   
Just remember to use a good sharp bit, tape over the areas to be drilled, drill very slowly and countersink the holes.

Drilling through the gel coat in reverse is an excellent recommendation.

And the most important thing! Measure 3 times before you drill any holes and check for wires or other obstructions on the underside before drilling.

I put my FCT on my Nautique and it was a snap.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-23-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
Save yourself the cash and do it yourself. It will take between 3 - 4 hours

- or -

Install a tower in 70 seconds..
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=8109

Here is a bunch a great tips for the do-it-yourselfer http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/76725.html?1059945986

$430 is a new board/bindings!
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-23-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
cool vid KFW! thanks for the tips everyone.
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-25-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
Robert, along with running the drill in reverse, chamfer the hole also. You can do this with a grinding ball, oversized drill bit (in reverse) etc