Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2010, 12:29 AM Reply   
Looking for a good solid backpack that will do a fine job of protecting my gear. Needs to be well padded, but not too large and cumbersome. I am using a Lowepro slingshot 200 now and I hate it.
My gear:
Body-
70-200 2.8 w/hood
28-70 2.8 w/hood
10-22 w/hood
Nifty 50mm
two batts & charger
8 filters
SD cards
and a few misc. things I can find room for somewhere.
I do not plan on adding much to my gear(I'm certain a flash is in my near future) but would like a bit of room to grow.

I am considering a Tamrac Expedition 4X. It seems to be really well made with durable zippers and semi-water resistant.The size seems about right, too. I looked at the 5x and it seems there's a fairly large size jump between the two.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544648-REG/Tamrac_558401_5584_Expedition_4x_Backpack.html

Does anyone have any opinions on this bag, or others that I should look at before I drop the coin? I would like to keep it under 200.00 if possible, but would spend as much as necessary(under 500.00) for the 'perfect bag'.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-10-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
DAKINE Sequence.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-10-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Hey Barry, I use a variety different of bags depending on what I'm doing or where I going. I'm a Tamrac guy and the 5375 Adventure 74 work well for me and will handel everything you described. It also has a tripod holder that straps down nicely. $109 at B&H. I have seen Walt's Dakine bag and it looks very nice also. As long as you stay with a quality brand that will handle your gear you should be find, just remember your gear has a tendency to grow
Old    wakejjboard12            02-10-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
+1 DAKINE Sequence.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
+2 DAKINE Sequence.. ;-)

Tamarac's are excellent bags (used to own one), but switched over to the Dakine Sequence for two reasons. First I wanted something that was low profile while traveling over-seas that didn't scream sh#t-load-of-expensive-camera-gear AND to get me past the carry-on nazis (typical 11 - 15lbs carry on limits while I had about 40+ lbs of gear in my bag.)

Second the Sequence is more a rectangle shape, so it sits lower on my back and doesn't stick out as much. For me that made it easier to carry.

To give you a sense of space (which you never seem to have enough of) I own two sequence backpacks; one for video and the other for photog gear. For the video gear I took the padded-divider from an old Pelican 1510 and fit it into the sequence. It works perfectly and I can put a ton of gear in the bag. For my photog gear I use Dakine's ICU (Internal Camera Unit) that comes with the bag and it works just fine for a few lenses, a speedlight or two, batteries, etc.. I can even fit two wescott brollys in the front pocket and strap a tripod to the outside.

Here are some pics of the DAKINE Sequence w/ 1510 padded divider
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-10-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
I was waiting for the Sequence with the 1510 pic to come!
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-10-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
Just got a KATA. Amazing bag. www.KATA-BAGS.com
http://kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=275&Version=Photo

It was between this and the sequence. When held side by side it was a no brainer. The add on stuff is amazing.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Wow! Thanks for all your input!
It appears that the Dakine has about the same interior space as the Tamrac and almost the same design. I like that the pockets on the Dakine are on the sides rather than the front.

I've called everyone from Fresno to Stockton and can't seem to find one to put my hands on.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
Found one called "Mission Photo" that appears to be the same bag, maybe a tad smaller. Maybe the Mission Photo is new since they said it was a 2010 bag.
Can anyone compare the two since I can't get my hands on a Sequence?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
LOL - Riley - did you even set your bag up with the 1510?

Kata are nice bags too and you can't go wrong with their bags either. ha even more choices..

The "Mission Photo" is only 1500 cu in.. while the "sequence" is 2000 cu in. The extra 500 cu in. makes a big difference.

Finding a retail shop with the bag might be tough, but I included the link for the back pack in my post. Here is the link broken out: http://www.dogfunk.com/snowboard/DAKINE-Sequence-Backpack-w-Camera-Block-2000cu-in/DAK0586M.html

It was recommended through the search I did on backcountry.com: http://www.backcountry.com/store/search.html?mv_session_id=oDvvd5j2&q=dakine+sequen ce

So I'm going to trust dogFunk.. Plus I think it's all under the same company anyway. If that's the case and fulfillment is like backcountry.com then even with the FREE Economy (7-14 days) shipping will only take 2-3 days to Cali

I also checked http://www.retailmenot.com/view/dogfunk.com for you, but there are no valid discount codes at this time. :-(

(Message edited by dcervenka on February 10, 2010)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-10-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
I have a Sequence and rarely use it. Tend to just use an all black low key Tamrac shoulder bag most of the time.

Ebay has tons of Dakine bags.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=dakine+seq uence&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Edit: I just noticed the http://www.retailmenot.com/ link posted above. I love that website as it has saved me tons of money and has an easy layout to work with. Bookmark that link and use it often.

(Message edited by peter_c on February 10, 2010)
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-10-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
FYI:

quote:

Backcountry.com currently operates Dogfunk.com (for snowboard gear), RealCyclist.com (for road cycling), HuckNroll.com (for mountain biking), Backcountry.com itself, and several ODAT (one deal at a time) sites: SteepandCheap.com, WhiskeyMilitia.com, Chainlove.com, Bonktown.com, Tramdock.com, and Brociety.com [6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backcountry.com
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
Okay, it looks like our local dealer has the Mission Photo, but not the Sequence..I'll have a look at the Mission Photo since Dakine tells me they're almost the same bag other than size. If the Mission is too small he can order the Sequence.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Cool Barry - Let us know what you think about the Mission once you see it. It might also help to take your gear along to make sure the bag works for ya.

Thanks Scott! I figured so much and ended up finding this link after looking around some more: http://www.backcountrycorp.com/corporate/section/1/stores.html - I've made 6 purchases from backcountry now and have been very impressed with their fulfillment.. Orders are shipped right away and even the free shipping just takes days (not weeks) to get to Cali.

Peter - word up on RetailMeNot! I've easily saved over $600+ just by taking an extra 10 seconds to check for discount codes.. Everything from the snowboard gear, tickets to legoland, even under cabinet lighting for the kitchen. The site rocks, it's free, and it saves you cash! woo hoo!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-10-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
I just ordered another Sequence, I am starting to accumulate way to much gear!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
Riley,
I know a fella with a clean Slingshot 200 for sale, cheap. ;)

Thanks again, guys!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-10-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
Just wondering, does the Sequence have a place to attach a tripod? I find myself using my Expedition 7 most of the time lately, I know it's a monster, but I can put everything I own in it. It seemed like every time I would pack a smaller kit and go out shooting, inevitability what I left at home is what I needed, so now I just bring it all. Down side is now I don't have any excuses for crappy stuff
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
Randy - Yes there is a way to carry a tripod (at least on the newer sequences bags) via two straps which are hidden in zippered pouches located at the top and bottom of the bag.

It also has a rain cover which is hidden in a zippered pouch and easily accessible when needed.

The only missing on this backpack is a dedicated laptop compartment. You can fit a 15" laptop in the outside-facing pocket, but you just have to be careful as there is no padding.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-11-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
Jeez I've spent a fortune on bags. I keep coming back to my trekker AW for daily use. It holds my 400, 70-200 and a bunch of smaller lenses fine with plenty of storage of odds and ends. I keep the 500 in a separate bag because I don't want to lug that around with everything else.

I got a Crumpler cork and fork Trolley bag for travel. That holds the 500 as well as my laptop and was the smallest/lightest that would carry everything I needed it to that I could find. Some of the other trolley bags barely fit in the overhead. It also has a backpack within a bag so I can carry my gear around like a normal backpack once I'm there.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-11-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
Just got this. pretty stoked.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614823-REG/Naneu_Pro_217FGR_Sahara_217F_Backpack_Green_.html
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-11-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
I'm a big fan of ThinkTank products. They make all sorts of varieties of bags for all different kinds of uses. I have a backpack and a rolling bag that carry loads of stuff (my rolling case weighs in at just under 50 lbs... good thing most U.S. airlines don't weigh carry on luggage...)

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/
Old     (russian)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-12-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
I LOVE Think Tank gear, but there backpacks look very uncomfortable for extended carrying. I have no experience with one, but I have A lot of experience with backpacks. The sequence is a very comfy pack, that sits more like a traditional pack, doesn't scream camera gear and easily converts to a day/light overnight pack.
My main issue with traditional camera packs is that gear storage is the main focus, with little attention to wearing it. Pelican cases are much better for storage;)
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2010, 9:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the help..
I ended up with a Dakine Sequence. It seems to be perfect... I can pack things in pretty tightly for protection, but I still have some room to expand. It's comfy to wear for a short time with all my gear. Hopefully it will be comfy for extended wear as well.