Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bkman211)      Join Date: May 2006       05-23-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
Anyone know the best setup for an 06 MB B52 V23 Team? Here is a picture of my wife trying surfing for the first time out at Lake Mead. This was with the right side balast full and 3 people in the boat. She was able to get some slack in the rope and with practice I am sure could go rope free. The board is a CWB ride (5'4") When I tried I got very short rope free rides. I am 6' 235lbs, do I need a bigger board or bigger wake or both?

Upload
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-23-2006, 4:21 PM Reply   
the wake looks pretty nice. in the pic it looks like she's leaning back. the biggest mistake i see people make is that they try to ride a surfboard like a wakeboard and you can't. you really need to be heavy on your front foot and leane forward more. it just takes practice.

also how fast were you going?
Old    walt            05-23-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
Your wake will be better on the other side.
Old     (bkman211)      Join Date: May 2006       05-23-2006, 11:04 PM Reply   
I thought the wake would be better on the opposite side that the prop turns toward. Is that turn or does it just depend on the boat?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-24-2006, 4:40 AM Reply   
Most boats have a left hand prop which makes the wake better for regular stance surfers off the port side. That said your starboard surf wake looks pretty good.

I weight about 220, and ride a 5.6 Broadcast and a Trickboardz Mojo XL.
Old    walt            05-24-2006, 4:42 AM Reply   
Most boats the wake will be better on the other side. I think Nauti's are the exception due to opposite prop rotation.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-24-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
A local Nautique owner told me that the new boats now have LH rotation like most everyone else.
Old    surfdad            05-24-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
You know, Larry Mann has talked about the prop rotation as being a "part" of the puzzle, but not THE PART.

We just held the NorCal INT League Wakesurfing Stop 1 behind a Nautique 210. I "believe" an '05. When you pull away from a stand still without any ballast, the wake on the starboard side is very clean, the wake on the port side is mushy. I realize this isn't weighted for surfing, but that is my test to see which side the boat favors. That boat, if in fact it was LH rotation, still favored the starboard side.

I do not know for a fact which rotation that Nautique was, but some other thread mentions that for '05 and later, it's LH, like Ed mentioned, above.

My understanding in talking with Dennis who went to Lake Tulloch wakesurf contest, the word was that the RH rotation enzo's produce a better wake on BOTH SIDES compared to the LH rotation.

I also know that on my Tige, the wake, with an equal amount of ballast, is almost identical on the port and starboard sides. So...I will grant that the prop rotation has some impact, I don't believe that it is THE factor that makes the wake better port vs starboard.
Old     (bkman211)      Join Date: May 2006       05-24-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the great info. I think I will stick with the starboard side since my wife and I are both gooffy. Since my boat has 3 tanks (rear left, rear right, and forward, should I only use the rear right or would wieght in the front and left help? I know I should probably just go out and try this all on my own, just wanted to see what has been working for others.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-25-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
yeah i would put some weight in the front, this will stretch out the pocket and allow you more riding area in the wave. you might have to play around with how much weight in the front. too much weight will cause the front to dig in and make the wave smaller and to little weight might just create a vert wall of water. in my boat i run like 600# or so in the front and 750# on the surf side plus a few people on that side as well
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-25-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
yeah i would put some weight in the front, this will stretch out the pocket and allow you more riding area in the wave. you might have to play around with how much weight in the front. too much weight will cause the front to dig in and make the wave smaller and to little weight might just create a vert wall of water. in my boat i run like 600# or so in the front and 750# on the surf side plus a few people on that side as well
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-26-2006, 9:29 PM Reply   
Hey Edward, (sorry to break in) So what do you think of the Mojo? I'm really looking at one of these, I'm about 210-220.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-27-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
Rob,

I just had my first really good sets on the Mojo today. I’ve been working hard getting my surfwake dialed in and I’ve been conducting a few other surf wake experiments. I’ve kind of neglected the Mojo, preferring to dial in the wake with my more familiar board. I had the wake dialed in pretty good this Monday and rode both boards. Last Monday I thought that maybe I had a better ride on the Mojo, but wrote it off to slight set up differences. I had orher rides on the Mojo this season that I thought were better than the Broadcast but also attributed the difference to my setup.

Today I had a lot of sets on both boards. I carve harder on the Broadcast and have usually done a better job staying in the pocket with that board. However, today I got some quality time with the Mojo and found that it was far easier to keep in the pocket. It seems like I can really accelerate fast with the Mojo. The Mojo also seems easier to pump to get back in the pocket. When I was pumping the Mojo I was pushing the tail of the Mojo down and outboard in a washy part of the wake that the Broadcast just gets hung up in.

I’ve been playing with breaking the fin loose but haven’t done any spins. For now I’d say that I prefer the Mojo over the Broadcast. The Broadcast is more stable, if I was pulling a first timer I might start them out on the Broadcast. I’ll probably continue to ride both boards, but I think the Mojo has more potential for rider advancement.