Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-16-2005, 6:03 PM Reply   
My doctor said that I have surfer's ear. Basically, my ear canal is closing up due to long exposure to cold water. In the long term, it can affect your hearing because the sound waves are obstructed and can't reach your ear drum. He says that the only way to reverse it is to basically have the ear canal drilled out. He said that wearing ear plugs will help stop it from getting worse. Does anyone else have this problem? What have you heard?
Old    bobbymucic            06-16-2005, 7:18 PM Reply   
I've had it for almost 10 years. I spent hours a day surfing and swimming from age 13-22. I don't think it has progressed in the last 10 years since I don't surf or competitively swim anymore.

My last check wtih the ENT: one ear is ~90%, the other ~50%. My hearing was tested about two years ago and was fine. I am holding off on any surgery. I want to find a doc who does a ton of these surgeries.. Here is a guy in Santa Cruz (where I am sure he gets lots of business)

http://www.suttermatctr.org/news/archived/surfersear.html

Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-16-2005, 8:16 PM Reply   
I do not think that only long and repeated exposure to cold water causes this lessening of hearing.

I think another prominent cause in men is called Marriage.

Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-17-2005, 12:20 PM Reply   
you need to wear Doc's pro plugs I told every body here how to get reid ,someone pull it up
Old    xtremrider            06-17-2005, 12:32 PM Reply   
I use pro plugs, but not for that, i use them because when i get and water in my ears they hurt like hell to the point my entire head pounds.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-17-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
Mike Schweene had both his ears drilled out earlier this year. It was from a lot of time spent surfing in Santa Cruz.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-18-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
I've had it in both ears since the 70's from surfing as well. It stopped progressing when I quit surfing all the time. In Mike's case his totally closed up (in fact I think Matt diagnosed it! :-)

I've heard the surgery is no fun from both Mike and some of my other friends who needed it done. Start with the ear plugs. I personally wouldn't do it until you have no choice. My only problem is these darn cell phones, that's the one thing I have a tough time hearing.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-18-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
I have it. I got it from growing up in Santa Cruz surfing all the time. Everytime I go to the doc they say "you have really bad surfers ear." A friend of mine had the surgery done years ago when they peeled your ear back and drilled it out. I just read in the Santa Cruz Sentinel about Dr. Hetzler and how he uses a chisel instead of the old peel the ear back and drill (see the post from Bobby above). My problem is once I get water in my ear it takes a few days to drain out. I get muffled sound and a sharp pain. I use ear plugs now and keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol with me to dry up the water once inside my ear. I would only get surgery if I could't hear anymore.
Board More/Work Less
J$

(Message edited by surfnfury65 on June 18, 2005)

(Message edited by surfnfury65 on June 18, 2005)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-18-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
Went to the doc yesterday, I have and ear infection caused by Lake Shasta water sitting in the ear for a couple days. Like the others say everytime they look in the ears the doc says it looks like I have knobby tires lining my ears. I can still hear pretty well I just need to use the rubbing alcohol that I carry in the boat more often.
Old    obsurfer            06-18-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
50/50 rubbing alcohol & white vinegar. the vinegar helps the natural bacteria in your ear. This is what my Doc's has me on. Also wear a cap on windy days.
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-18-2005, 6:39 PM Reply   
I got it too, more in one ear than the other. Alcohol is good, but it is a bit harsh if you use it all the time. I heard of the vinegar mix too, I might try that next. It's a pain in the butt, but oh well, things could be a lot worse.