Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (kklupenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-06-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
Here's the details:
2005 Supra 21V
400lbs in surfside rear locker
Approx. 800lbs in front locker
2-3 peeps in boat, 1 on rear surfside deck if possible.
Rider= 215lbs using 5 foot liquid force venture board

I can't seem to let go of the rope for more than 5-10 seconds. Do I need more practice, different board, bigger wake?
Old     (kklupenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-06-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
Also; Speed = 11 mph
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-06-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
Slow down to around 10 MPH and see what happens.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-06-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
Just a guess based on my own experience this past weekend, but if you're not doing it already, move your front foot further up on the board than you think you should.

I had tried surfing a handfull of times over the past 4 years and like you could never surf without the rope for more than a few seconds. This past weekend I surfed with someone who knew how to surf. He had me move my front foot more forward on the board. That made all the difference in the world. Basically, shifting your weight to the front of the board is your "gas" pedal and shifting back towards the rear is your "brake" pedal. Having my front foot in the middle of the board wasn't allowing me to get on the gas as much as I needed to in order to get the board surfing. Moving my front foot more towards the nose of the board allowed me to shift enough weight forward in an instant to get on the gas when needed.

After taking my friends advice I was finally able to surf without the rope for a few minutes. I am now hooked on surfing!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-06-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
Yep, i surfed for the first time for any extended period of time this past weekend, for about 2 minutes and it was all because i moved forward on the board!
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-06-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
You all suck! :-) J/K If you're not digging the nose in every once in a while, you aren't far enough forward on the board as stated above. You should be able to feel a nice ballanced point when your in the groove. Just moving your hands in front of your body should be all it takes to go forward on the wake.

Board selection is also very important. I couldn't ride more than 5 seconds on a Broadcast. I bought the Red Tide from Ian, and immediately was able to ride as long as I wanted without the rope. I'm a big boy at 250 though so I needed the floaty board.

(Message edited by helinut on August 06, 2007)
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-06-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
I would venture to say the board is the problem. (ok lame pun). But seriously, I tried that board and it seemed to to have too much rocker for me (too slow). I'm 200lbs.

You may try a broadcast or an IS Blue. The broadcast is a good all around board, especially for the beginners, but many intermed folks really like it. The Blue is a good all around board for everyone in the boat as well. One of my favorites.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-07-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
i think a couple of things may need some tweeking..can a experienced wakesurfer ride it ? do you have any pics of the wake ? here are some things to consider...

-how the boat is weighed...you way to much weight in the front imo...most boats are pretty sensitive to weight placement..get some fly high fat sacs and pop products bags to dial in your wake..if you are using the center ballast then you might want to try it without it... once you get your wake dialed in... you'll know it..also gps your pp and speed..

-riding technique.... dont let go of the rope till you can ride with the rope with slack in the line...

try to find a experienced surfer/boat owner who can help you out with your setup and technique..

let me know if your ever in socal and we'll get you riding in no time.
Old     (kklupenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-07-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
Thanks, lot of good tips here, I was also thinking to forget about the front weight so much and pile more in the rear somehow.
Old     (65sanford)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-08-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
Leave the front weight in--the Supra setup sounds good to me--A good way to learn how to distribute your weight to keep surfing is to keep your hand on the handle and let the slack build in the line, if and when you feel the board slowing and you are dropping back on the wave, lean forward and focus on keeping slack in the rope--extend your arm out if you need to keep slack in the line. You will learn how the board accelerates--when you get close to the boat, lean back for a second to slow and immediately reapply pressure to your front foot to maintain your speed at a different distance from the boat. By doing this, I have found that I developed a lot of control of the board and can surf for any amount of time. When you get this technique down, then throw the rope back and apply the technique if you drop back on the wave. I surf a 2003 22SSV, 800# in the front Locker, 225# in the right rear, 0# in the left rear, the spotter on the right where we are surfing, and vary the speed from 9.5 mph if there are only three of us in the boat up to 11mph if there are more. I also ride a 2nd generation(old I know but it is a fast and stable board) Hyperlite Landlock. I have also used this exact setup on a IS Yellow.
Old     (65sanford)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-08-2007, 6:30 AM Reply   
Oh Yeah--make sure that you are in at least 15 feet of water
Old     (oldschoolmalibu)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-08-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Move forward on the board
Old     (sketter)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-08-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
Kevin, I also have a 21v. They have twice the hull of an ssv. Putting weight in the front makes the wave longer. Take a long look @ how deep the v is on your boat compared to an ssv. I have always run way more weight in the back. I run the 750# fly high, Always start with that. Next I would play with your plate. I start with it about ¾ of the way up. Play with it from there, I will slowly move it up until the wave start to wash. The only time I fill the front, When there is more than five to six people in the boat all on the surf side.
Old     (rocdog)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-08-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
I think chet hit it on the nose. I have a Sanger V215 and run a 750lb fat sac which is plumbed into my stock pumps in the rear port side using shut off values for filling the stock balast and this bag. Then I also fill my stock port rear 350lb balast. I will even put a 200lb person on my rear deck also and all people on the port rear side of the boat. If I have more than 5 guys in the boat then I will fill my stock front balast. This produces a long big wake. I would assume your SSV is simular.
More weight in the rear corner of the side you are surfing and no or little weight equals big wake!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-08-2007, 10:16 PM Reply   
liste to devlin. hes got it spot on.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-08-2007, 10:16 PM Reply   
liste to devlin. hes got it spot on.
Old     (kklupenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-30-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips, here is a quick update.

Spent a week at Roosevelt (Spokane River near confluence with the Columbia) and figured it out.

Used all settings mentioned above plate 3/4 to totally up.

Found the sweet spot a little higher on the wake than I had been riding, and rode a little closer to the boat (maybe 5-6 feet back of transom).

Also learned to employ the "pumping of the front foot" method when starting to fall behind.

What a blast!